Knife Lubricants

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
LDF Knives

Knife Lubricants

Post by LDF Knives »

Has anyone used Blue Lube Lubricant by Bench Made? Pros? Cons? ::shrug:: recommendations?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife Lubricants

Post by orvet »

Do you mean Blue Lube by Benchmade?

I see there is both a Blue Lube cleaner and a Blue Lube lubricant.

I have not use either of them. I have been incredibly pleased with Quick Release Oil by Latama.
It is by far the best lubricant I have used on switchblades or on slip joint knives.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

Opps I meant Bench Made :oops:
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

orvet wrote:Do you mean Blue Lube by Benchmade?

I have not use either of them. I have been incredibly pleased with Quick Release Oil by Latama.
It is by far the best lubricant I have used on switchblades or on slip joint knives.
I could not say it any better, this stuff is awesome!
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

orvet wrote:Do you mean Blue Lube by Benchmade?

+1 I'm hooked on that stuff.
Attachments
Quick Release.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

The quick release is by far the best I have used.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Don't know anything about Blue Lube, but I've had good results here lately using 3-1 Dry Lube for my pocket folders. It goes on wet, but drys to the touch and doesn't attract grit like a wet lube.
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

I use quick release. Best of any I've tried.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Mineral oil very lite ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Lots of Quick Release fans here. Myself included.

I can't remember where I first heard about it. Must have been on this forum. :mrgreen:
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I know nothing about Blue Lube - never heard of it before seeing your post - but that's not to say it isn't good. I'll add another +1 for Quick Release.

I've also been a longtime advocate of Tuf-glide. It penetrates via a wet carrier (mineral spirits) which drives out moisture and quickly evaporates leaving an excellent dry lube that will not attract dirt or lint, and is a superior rust preventative. Tuf-glide was developed under government contract for military use in dusty environments during the first Gulf War. Its companion product, Tuf-cloth (basically a polyester cloth penetrated, and replenishable, with Tuf-glide) is great for wipe-down use after handling.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

orvet wrote:I have been incredibly pleased with Quick Release Oil by Latama.
Have you used hoppes lubricating oil that comes with their gun cleaning kits? If quick release really is that good I'm gonna buy some right now.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Been wondering about quality oil for some of my moderns now that I'm actually developing a collection.

For slipjoints and others of traditional construction I use mineral oil on most anything that might touch food, 3-in-1 on some working/larger knives, and Liquid Bearings on the problem children. I also use mineral oil on most oilstones. It's cheap, clean, and effective. Each of those GEC 1095 safe queens I know so many of you have should get a light coating on all the carbon bits every so often. ::tounge:: ::nod::

I'm about to pull an old Boker USA jack out of a mineral oil bath to see if it's going to join the redheaded stepchildren or not. :lol:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I use either 3-1 oil, CLP,or Rem - Oil.
Keep Near the Cross.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Quick Release hands down. I've never used anything that penetrates down in he joints like QR, and I've seen it bring back blades with no snap better than anything fantastic stuff.

For the scales and blades I use Ballistol on knives and guns. And it's food safe too. I loves me some Ballistol. But for joints it's quick release.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

For the crusty rusty knives that are in need of a resurrection, don't think you find a better performing oil than PB Blaster penetrating oil.
Attachments
Z17G1-fo5oy.JPG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have been using Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber for several years now.
It is the best product of its type I have found and it is the only product I will trust on celluloid handle knives.
I have used Gun Scrubber on celluloid with no observable effects even a year later.
Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber.jpg
This is not a lubricant, is not intended to be a lubricant for that I use Quick Release.

If I am concerned about rust on carbon steel I will wipe the steel parts of the knife with Eezox.
It doesn't leave an oily film on everything to attract grit and dust.
EEZOX a.jpg
EEZOX b.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I have both Blue Lube (Benchmade) oil and cleaner, they both work great. In a pinch I also use Rem Oil. On my Sig 290 I ise a new lube called Frog lube. Smell a little, but works great on my guns. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

I have jumped around abit with lubricants (3:1, mineral oil and even tried Tuf-Glide - the latter I am not too fond of as I am not sure how good of a job it does) but have to say I do like Quick Release especially on old knives that need some loosening of blades that have sat for a long time. My only concern with using Quick Release on everything is whether it will stain handle materials such as MOP, bone etc - anybody have an answer? For some of my knives which I consider no doubt closet queens and in excellent+ condition I tend to use mineral oil which I think is probably more gentle but guessing here... and I always use a minimal amount of lube to get the job done in any case... Thanks!
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I've never had QR stain the bone. Or 3 in One oil either for that matter. But QR is best. The Ballistol I use in my bone scales has a mineral oil base.

For rusty crusty stuff I use either Kroil for penetrating or like Dale I've used Eezox. Eezox is good for rust prevention, but it's an outstanding cleaner too.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Colonel26 wrote: For rusty crusty stuff I use either Kroil for penetrating or like Dale I've used Eezox. Eezox is good for rust prevention, but it's an outstanding cleaner too.
Eezox will definitely let you know if there is rust in a knife joint.
You will keep seeing rusty oil on the tang until you clean the knife thoroughly!
It keeps cleaning out the rust until there is no more rust left or it runs out of Eezox. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Col26 ::tu:: ... guess I should have said I only use Quick Release on pivot joints - always use mineral oil if necessary to wipe down handle like bone.
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

orvet wrote:I have been using Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber for several years now.
It is the best product of its type I have found and it is the only product I will trust on celluloid handle knives.
I have used Gun Scrubber on celluloid with no observable effects even a year later.
Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber.jpg

This is not a lubricant, is not intended to be a lubricant for that I use Quick Release.
I thought I was the only one that uses Gun Scrubber on my knives. It's awesome. Dissolves anything that might build up in the joints and evaporates quickly. The aerosol can and the little red tube provide a nice pressurized stream.

Birchwood Casey changed the formula several years ago. They used to offer two options. One regular formula and one Synthetic Safe formula. Now it's all Synthetic Safe so we don't have to make sure we are buying the right kind. I've used it on knives with all types of materials. Bone, wood, micarta, G10, Mother of Pearl, etc. It hasn't damaged anything yet which is amazing because it's basically a solvent. You can smell the solvent in it when you use it. Somebody in the Research and Development Lab did their homework on this product.

Awesome stuff!
Rick T.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Another QR fan!!

Does GS remove old hafting gunk??? Gotta clean any new CASE joints as they don't!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jmh58 wrote:Another QR fan!!

Does GS remove old hafting gunk??? Gotta clean any new CASE joints as they don't!! John :D
Yes.
Rick T.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”