what is the rarest case knife you have??

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
FRJ

Re: what is the rarest case knife you have??

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Tom.
It's a nice little dog leg. It's solid, has ebony covers and half stops and I like the blades. Cool shield.
What ever it is I'm glad to have it. ::tu::
Joe
Oldredbone67

Post by Oldredbone67 »

2013 Genuine stag, slanted bolsters, arrowhead shield, #6318 stockman. My favorite!
Attachments
Genuine stag stockman
Genuine stag stockman
Genuine stag #6318
Genuine stag #6318
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

I think this old Knife is a rare one
Case XX 6254 Second Cut Redbone on a Tested Frame. Larry
Attachments
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

:shock: I would second that notion Larry! That baby is spotless. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Beautiful knife Larry.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

That's a great knife, Larry , 1st one I have seen. Not many produced I would guess. ::tu:: ::tu::

Tom
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Larry that is down right pretty. ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Thank you guys, proud of this one.

Larry
Larry W

rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

The earliest one and possibly rarest one that I have is a Case &Son's 1905 to 1914 barn find. 6270 1/2 Sleeve board pen.

Major bummed that the pile side scale is missing but to me it's pretty cool.

Can't find any reference to it in any of the books I have. If anyone has some info (Steve?) I would sure appreciate it.

Sorry about the light but rainy & cloudy in Southern California - Kind of weird :)
Attachments
20161230_194040.jpg
20161230_194101.jpg
20161230_194119.jpg
20161230_194136.jpg
20161230_194214.jpg
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Rex that is a beautiful piece of history. There are so many beautiful knives shown in this thread that are undoubtedly the rarest pieces of that particular owner but it makes me wonder what is the rarest of all. Does anybody know or is that up for speculation. Probably no answer for my question but it would be interesting to know what people think. What is the rarest Case of all. THE HOLY GRAIL.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That's a nice find Rex, even with the missing handle on one side. How long is it? Hard to see from the pictures but from what I see and your comment that it's 1905-1914, it's a W.R. Case & Sons (no apostrophe)?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Larry, the 2nd cut red bone is really pretty on your Trapper. ::tu:: ::tu::
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Mumbleypeg wrote:That's a nice find Rex, even with the missing handle on one side. How long is it? Hard to see from the pictures but from what I see and your comment that it's 1905-1914, it's a W.R. Case & Sons (no apostrophe)?

Ken
Ken - You are correct - it is Case & Sons - no apostrophe - That's just my bad grammar comin' at yall :) - Knife is 3.5" closed.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Nice knife REX. It's actually a 6276 1/2.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

btrwtr wrote:Nice knife REX. It's actually a 6276 1/2.
Wayne, I also think it is a 76.

Rex, I'm curious about the shield. It looks like it maybe has been reprofiled. The wings on the bottom of the bomb appear to be missing and I see some ghosting in the photo where they would be. Are they present, removed, made that from the beginning?

Edit: Rex, nevermind about the shield question. I brightened the picture and now see that it is intact as it should be.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for the measurement Rex. Reason I asked is, Sargent's 7th edition shows a 6370 on page 74 in the W.R. Case and Son's (with apostrophe) section. Says its 3-9/16 inches, and it's a sleeveboard also but it looks to be a wider knife than yours. I was gonna guess yours was a 62079-1/2 but Wayne and Jerry both say it's a 76-1/2 so I'm not gonna disagree. There's pictures of both in Sargent's and frankly they look like the same pattern to me ::shrug:: - probably need to have them in hand to tell the difference. The ones pictured have flat bolsters. Your knife doesn't, but there's a picture of a 62079 with round bolsters on the same page. Apparently they were made both ways.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here is a comparison picture of a Case Tested XX 62079 1/2 and a Case Tested XX 6376 1/2. I wish I had a 6276 1/2... it's on my list.

Until you see them side-by-side they do look very similar. They are both sleeveboards and the relative proportions are probably identical. The fact that the 76 1/2 is 3 blade is skewing the look because it is thicker due to the split 3 backspring width vs a single backspring on the 079 1/2.
Attachments
Compare Case Tested XX 62079 1/2 to 6376 1/2
Compare Case Tested XX 62079 1/2 to 6376 1/2
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

gsmith7158 wrote:Rex that is a beautiful piece of history. There are so many beautiful knives shown in this thread that are undoubtedly the rarest pieces of that particular owner but it makes me wonder what is the rarest of all. Does anybody know or is that up for speculation. Probably no answer for my question but it would be interesting to know what people think. What is the rarest Case of all. THE HOLY GRAIL.
Hey Greg,
Hard to determine the rarest of all. Hard to verify based on CASE record keeping on the real old stuff. You almost have to go by how many observed. As far as last ~50 years, would have to say a 10 dot Stag Cheetah with a saber blade or a ivory handled Cheetah same year.
Maybe a 6001 Trip fold for a earlier knife. As far as XX era, have to say a 6394-1/2 Green Bone. Could be biased observation since I own the last two I mentioned and have seen less than a one hand count of tri-folds and one XX 94. Maybe a Zipper. Quite a few real rare ones, hard to narrow.
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

btrwtr wrote:Nice knife REX. It's actually a 6276 1/2.
Thanks Wayne and all - The older I get the lesser I see. No wonder I couldn't find the pattern in the reference books.
Doug

Pocket Knife Art
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Hey Greg, 
Hard to determine the rarest of all. Hard to verify based on CASE record keeping on the real old stuff. You almost have to go by how many observed. As far as last ~50 years, would have to say a 10 dot Stag Cheetah with a saber blade or a ivory handled Cheetah same year.
Maybe a 6001 Trip fold for a earlier knife. As far as XX era, have to say a 6394-1/2 Green Bone. Could be biased observation since I own the last two I mentioned and have seen less than a one hand count of tri-folds and one XX 94. Maybe a Zipper. Quite a few real rare ones, hard to narrow. 
Jerry

Jerry I thought that would be a difficult question and probably somewhat subjective. Interesting that you mention the XX6394 1/2. There is one listed on ebay now for $2195.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Great old knife Rex! I was remiss on comment and on on all the other fine rare ones I got backlogged on.
Regards, Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

gsmith7158 wrote:Hey Greg, 
Jerry

Jerry I thought that would be a difficult question and probably somewhat subjective. Interesting that you mention the XX6394 1/2. There is one listed on ebay now for $2195.
Please post a link my friend. Looked but dont see it. Never personally seen another. Would like to take a look.
Thanks, Jerry
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Attachments
$_3-27.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Greg and Nevada Jerry got me wondering "What is the rarest Case knife " of all. I always thought the rarer the knife the more expensive it is, but that not the case in most instances. I bet if you ask a 100 Case knife collectors which is the rarest they will all give different answers. Just my 2cents

Larry
Larry W

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Greg. That is a great knife. Mine is a used example, sick green bone. Beats the green bone of Tested in my opinion. Only made 49' and half of 50' as I recall.
jlw257 wrote:Greg and Nevada Jerry got me wondering "What is the rarest Case knife " of all. I always thought the rarer the knife the more expensive it is, but that not the case in most instances. I bet if you ask a 100 Case knife collectors which is the rarest they will all give different answers. Just my 2cents

Larry
I agree Larry. Likely different answers depending on what they are looking for, seen, own, paid on a particular knife, observed, researched, etc. Honestly, I have had and still do have some TESTED that are mint unused and uncleaned. I consider that pretty rare. Price is a factor for sure. I lean towards that and how many observed, examples not listed in catalogs but present, survived and not beat up ( like the pristine examples you own). Even availability is a factor maybe in line with observed examples.
Jerry

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”