Utica Kutmaster identification

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
WhiteOaks

Utica Kutmaster identification

Post by WhiteOaks »

Where can I track down info on dating Kutmaster folding knives? I have a four- tool folder I can't bring up anywhere.
RobesonsRme.com

Re: Utica Kutmaster identification

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Welcome to AAPK, the friendliest knife site on the world wide web. ::tu::

There might be some info posted in the Tang Stamps thread:

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =4&t=39799

I think Uitica pretty much stopped stamping their knives with "Utica" in about 1947 and used "KutMaster" thereafter, but that's purely anecdotal, I don't collect Utica and my memory isn't the best.

There are plenty here who know more than I do. They'll be along eventually with more definitive information.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

::welcome:: Please post a picture of the knife.
AAPK Janitor
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Levine shows Utica stopping usage of the curved "Utica" stamp in 1937 and starting the use of the Kutmaster stamping that same year. I have seen very few Kutmasters that appeared to be pre WWII, however, I have seen a few.

Just checked Goins', he shows the same information, Kutmaster stamp began in 1937.
kewald

Post by kewald »

I have a Barlow knife that might have been made by Kutmaster. My wife found it some years ago and gave it to me. There are no markings on the tangs, but the bolsters are both marked with BARLOW. Should I assume it was made by Kutmaster?

Thanks
Attachments
WP_20170124_11_26_07_Rich.jpg
WP_20170124_11_26_44_Pro.jpg
Ken
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kewald wrote:I have a Barlow knife that might have been made by Kutmaster. My wife found it some years ago and gave it to me. There are no markings on the tangs, but the bolsters are both marked with BARLOW. Should I assume it was made by Kutmaster?

Thanks
I believe Colonial and Imperial used that as well on the bolster pretty generic.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kewald wrote:I have a Barlow knife that might have been made by Kutmaster. My wife found it some years ago and gave it to me. There are no markings on the tangs, but the bolsters are both marked with BARLOW. Should I assume it was made by Kutmaster?
::welcome:: Ken!

As Greg says, you'll see the generic "BARLOW" stamp on clamshell knives by Colonial, Imperial, Novelty, and others, and you'll also see it pop up on solid-bolster knives like Uticas, and newer Camillus. The stamp itself doesn't help identify the knife but comparing yours to the typical Kutmaster/Utica Barlow build shows some fairly striking differences.
23945672544_6d9b34de65_k.jpg
27803851952_8c6cbab94e_k.jpg
As you can see, one of the telltale signs of a Kutmaster or Utica Barlow is the "rounded shoulder" bolster which is fairly distinctive among other Barlows. Imperials, Colonials, and other clamshell or hollow-bolster Barlows do not have bolsters as rounded as the Uticas, which you can see from this group shot of Providence, Imperial and Colonial Barlows:
23655905564_5eb682ce90_k.jpg
Judging by the photos of your Barlow, it's probably a hollow-bolster or "clamshell", Asian-made, perhaps Pakistani, judging by the grind, the way the nicks are cut and the use of the brass pivot pins. The tang may have been left unstamped. Just some signs of a south Asian knife that I've noticed. Of course, I'm just speculating, I could be way off. But that'd be my best guess.

Glad to have you on AAPK!
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Can anyone tell me why this kutmaster Barlow has an N stamped on the tang. I know a person that has one with an O.
Attachments
20190803_083225.jpg
15648487549503539708782838193089.jpg
Stay fluid and ever changing... "I heard it in some movie, sometime, someday. Shucks it's hard to say" ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

J.Gilmer ::handshake::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”