American Wildlife Series

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Vit_213

American Wildlife Series

Post by Vit_213 »

The American wilderness... where animals, birds, fish, trees and plants cooperate to form a beauty that even man cannot match. The wilderness... where man is only a visitor to observe the enchantment of a flight of ducks over a cool mountain lake, the bounce of a fleeing white-tailed deer on a frosty morning, or the courageous determination of salmon fighting upstream to spawn.

In observance of America's 200th and our 100th anniversary, Camillus Cutlery introduces its NEW "AMERICAN WILDLIFE" SERIES. Inset into each handle is sculptured wildlife, struck in genuine pewter from original masterpieces by the renowned wildlife engraver, Sid Bell. Each animal is permanently imbedded in crystal-clear acrylic over a natural background color that runs flush with the contour of the handle.

These extremely handsome knives are both collectors items and functional, heavy-duty knives that can take the everyday wear and tear that you would expect from a fine knife. Its super-cutting, corrosion-resistant, etched blades are made from 440A high carbon stainless steel that assures you a clean, swift cut every time. Pivot pins and bolsters are forged from solid nickel silver and the sure-grip handles are molded from super-tough Delrin. Attractively gift packaged with a "CAM-STONE" sharpening steel... a new type of sharpening steel consisting of an abrasive coating bonded to a steel mandrel and producing a very uniform and extremely sharp cutting edge ... and a wildlife brochure.

(Camillus 1976 catalog)

BUCK DEER - No. 10A
Amid the blushing foliage of autumn, the buck holds his antlers high in regal splendor. Timid and trim, he is a picture of innocence and beauty and shows his gracefulness when a sudden movement or sound sends him speeding off into the forest.
10a (1).jpg
10a (2).jpg
10a (3).jpg
HOWLING COYOTE - No. 10B
"The gray ghost of the plains". Wary, suspicious, sly, always on the alert and a real challenge to the hunter. Who can ever forget their mournful cry in the still of the night as they pay homage to the western moon.
10b (1).jpg
10b (2).jpg
10b (3).jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: American Wildlife Series

Post by carrmillus »

...........I liked everything about this series of knives except the shields!!!!................... ::barf:: ............
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice knives Vit! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

I've always liked that style trapper knife but I'm not into the shields either--if you buy all of the set they make a cool looking display--think there's a bear-wolf-lion there's a few more---
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Looks like they came out in 1976, same year as the Cam-Lock. The First Edition was discontinued in 1989, the others sometime earlier than that.
Attachments
Camillus 1975 American Wildlife First Edition.jpg
Camillus 1975 American Wildlife Second Edition.jpg
Camillus 1975 American Wildlife Third Edition.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

BUCK DEER - No. 11A (Fifth Edition)
Attachments
11a (1).jpg
11a (2).jpg
11a (3).jpg
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

CHARGING BEAR - No. 10D
A bear’s all-out sprint is an unforgettable sight as its massive body strains and the thick glossy fur ripples in the sun. He is a mass of muscle and brawn, unafraid, intelligent and unpredictable. A formidable giant of the wilderness.
Attachments
10d (1).jpg
10d (2).jpg
10d (3).jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Some friends gave this #11 to me a few years ago.
Attachments
Camillus 11 - American Wildlife 'Running Deer' Lockback - Open.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...nice, jerry!!!..I like everything about this series except the shields....to me, they're a little large and too gaudy, other than that, I like 'em!!!....... ::tu:: ::tu:: ..........
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

BUGLING ELK - No. 10F
A sight to behold ... the herd bull as he lifts his head high and bugles his challenge for all to hear. He’ll take on all comers, head low and long ivory tipped antlers swinging menacingly from side to side ready to defend his harem rights.
Attachments
10f (1).jpg
10f (2).jpg
10f (3).jpg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

First knife I bought from an AAPK store, right after I joined AAPK, was this Camillus big Trapper. I found the Camillus fish knife at a collectibles mall a few months later. OH
Attachments
Camillus American Wildlife - big trapper - deer.JPG
Camillus American Wildlife - #32 fish knife.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Just recently picked up a used #10 Jumbo Trapper of this series with the Pronghorn on the handle. Well used, massive 4 3/8" knife, fits my hand well, but as someone else stated above I'm just not that "in" to the shield either. I kinda collect trappers, (I now have eight of them, I guess that means I collect them?), but I didn't have a Camillus version, so I grabbed this to represent that pattern/manufacturer in my small, eclectic "collection"......despite that corny shield! The blades are tight in the single-end bolster, and the handle is intact. Having a nice, used, patina I won't hesitate to carry and use this knife. I sharpened the blades, (sharpened easily), and am looking for a suitable sheath for it, (I did not receive the stock sheath or sharpening steel it originally came with). It reminds me of a 5" folding hunter more than a trapper simply due to it's mass, and the 3/4" wide blades are as wide as many 5" folding hunter I've seen. It may prove to be even more useful than a single-bladed FH by having an alternate blade, though of course it doesn't lock. As all Camillus knives seem to be, this one can genuinely be described as very robust, I'm sure it will take lots more use & abuse and still keep on being a useful tool.
Glad to have it, it will look good on my "knife stump". I'm more in to knives I can use, and I use/carry every single knife in my "collection", so instead of sitting on a shelf looking new & pretty, this one will go into my EDC rotation and be put to work.
Attachments
"American Wildlife" printing is barley visible on the main blade, but it IS there. Also hard to see in this photo are use/sharpening scratches on the massive, 3/4" wide spey. Not pristine, but a very usable knife.
"American Wildlife" printing is barley visible on the main blade, but it IS there. Also hard to see in this photo are use/sharpening scratches on the massive, 3/4" wide spey. Not pristine, but a very usable knife.
100_9687.JPG
The "American Wildlife" print is just barely a shadow on the blade, but if you hold your mouth right, (a fave saying of my dad's), you can still read it.
The "American Wildlife" print is just barely a shadow on the blade, but if you hold your mouth right, (a fave saying of my dad's), you can still read it.
100_9691.JPG
Big 'ol knife!
Big 'ol knife!
BCCI Member #2863
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

MALLARD DUCK No. 17A
Surprised, the handsome and clever mallard, with a swift beating of wings, rises up over a marsh while emitting a series of startled quacks that diminish as it heads toward a distant pond. On wing they perform miracles of maneuver.
Attachments
17a (1).jpg
17a (2).jpg
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

RING-NECKED PHEASANT No. 17D
Its brilliant plumage, short colorful wings, white collared neck and long tapering tail crowns the Ring-Neck as the unrivaled beauty of American game birds. The startling whirr of its rapidly beating wings, as it is flushed out of the tall grass, is a hunter's dream.
Attachments
17d (1).jpg
17d (2).jpg
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

RUNNING DEER - No. 11C
Attachments
11c (1).jpg
11c (2).jpg
11c (3).jpg
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

MOUNTAIN SHEEP - No. 10G
Attachments
10g (1).jpg
10g (2).jpg
10g (3).jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good looking knife! ::tu::
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

HOWLING COYOTE - No. 11B (1979)
Attachments
11b (1).jpg
11b (2).jpg
11b (3).jpg
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I had not seen this topic before. There are some very good looking
knives in this thread. ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very knice selection Vit. I especially like the cayote one. ::nod::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very impressive knives vit. New to me.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Vit_213 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:16 am HOWLING COYOTE - No. 11B (1979)
..vit, everything you show looks to be MINT!!!!!.................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .......................
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Angler's Folder #32 (1976-1982)
Attachments
32.jpg

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”