Blade Pattern - you're NOT a fan of?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Blade Pattern - you're NOT a fan of?

Post by TripleF »

Just curious if any of you are like me and have pattern you're NOT a fan of?

I'm not a fan of the muskrat pattern.....I don't know just doesn't do anything for me....

You?
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Blade Pattern - you're NOT a fan of?

Post by Paladin »

Ditto - toothpick.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The ones I'm not a fan of seem to be centered around a long, thin blade (but on a Serpentine Stockman I like a Turkish Clip!) I own all of these knives except one, but am not attracted to them; knives with Wharncliff main blades (heck, Wharncliff blades in general), Muskrat's with two identical blades such as those by Case and Schrade (I like the Buck 313 version), Toothpick's, and the "Lady Leg" knives (I don't own one of these). OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Pruning blade. ::undecided::
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

As the ol' Preacher used to say, "It'd be a dull world if there was nothing but vanilla ice cream". Right off the bat, one of my favorite patterns is the Muskrat. I find it very useful when processing our home cut venison.
Hoping not to arouse the faithfull, but I don't really care for scout patterns ::paranoid:: , this don't mean I don't have one or two :) .
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Anything made by SpyderCo or any similar knife.

Yuck!! ::td::

CNoyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I like pie. All kinds of pie, even mincemeat pie in limited quantities. I would eat pie with every meal and two pieces for supper - except for lemon pie. I don't like lemon pie.

And that's the same way I feel about knives. I like 'em all. Some in very limited quantities but for the most part I never met a knife I didn't like EXCEPT for Sodbusters and the Case Russlock. I've had 'em. I've tried 'em. But I just don't like 'em (and maybe some of the more outlandish tacticals). It doesn't bother me that others are attracted to them as long as they don't expect me to get enthusiastic about 'em.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

For me it has to be a functional knife first and foremost. Too many fantasy, couldn't use it if you wanted to knives out there. Uncomfortable in your hand an just plain weird looking. I certainly believe to each his own but for me if you can't use it lose it.

http://www.edgesofreality.com/my_files/ ... 0knife.jpg

Wayne
Attachments
fantasy knife.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

" for me if you can't use it lose it."

I'll give an amen to that Wayne.

Charlie I used to feel the way you do about Spydercos and similarly designed knives until I carried one. I still think they are butt ugly and they do not create in me a sense of awe at their fine craftsmanship (even though they are well made) but they function so well it's hard not to appreciate their usefulness.

I don't like a tanto style blade. I see no useful purpose in that blade design for anything I'd do with a knife.

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry..............how can you not love lemon pie? It's my favorite. ::drool:: Oh well, more for me I guess. ::groove::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Cuz, I love pie too, and I'm with Phil here as lemon is one of my all time favorites, right after butterscotch and chocolate pie made by those godly Baptist and Methodist church ladies of course.

I don't like tanto blades, tooth picks, lady legs, Russ locks, scout knives, sod busters, or anything under 3 9/16 inches long. Fantasy knives I hate.

That said, except for fantasy knives, occasionally there'll be an example of the above that interests me for some reason. But in general no.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Me I don't like Trapper style knives I've got a couple but one knife I flat will never own another Russlock--
Edit: Jerry you just ain't rite brother Lemon pie is about as good or gooder than it get's
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

:shock: Geez Louise! Toothpick haters unite!!!!!
I am so uterly alone!! ::mdm:: :D
I will have to agree with the tanto blades though, I just don't dig 'em. Don't have much use for a partially serrated blade either. ::shrug::

WB

P.S. Mmmmm... Lemon Meringue Pie!!! ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I can see I stepped on a few toes with that lemon pie comment. Y'all go on ahead without me and eat my share. I'll wait for something else to come out of the oven. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

I like them all as long as they're Case Tested, XX, or USA Pattens. To heck with the rest.
Trappers rules. Larry
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The only pattern I dislike is the one I don't have. ::ds::Or maybe it's that I dislike the fact that I don't have it.............What was the question again? :?
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

I have alot of different patterns .
The jury is out on the sunfish.I have one and everytime the wife see's it she says what a ugly knife.
Why was the sunfish made, does it have a set usage?
All I can say if you use a knife all the time you have a big blade to ware out.
Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Shearer wrote:I have alot of different patterns .
The jury is out on the sunfish.I have one and everytime the wife see's it she says what a ugly knife.
Why was the sunfish made, does it have a set usage?
All I can say if you use a knife all the time you have a big blade to ware out.
Grant
The sunfish pattern is also called an "English Rope Knife". I suppose if the knife were to be used to cut rope the deep edge to back blade profile would do well to be beaten through thick sections of rope with a wooden mallet. I don't believe the knives were used in this manner but maybe that is where the name came from.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

jlw257 wrote:I like them all as long as they're Case Tested, XX, or USA Pattens. To heck with the rest.
Trappers rules. Larry
With Larry on this although the Trapper is not my pattern.
btrwtr wrote:For me it has to be a functional knife first and foremost. Too many fantasy, couldn't use it if you wanted to knives out there. Uncomfortable in your hand an just plain weird looking. I certainly believe to each his own but for me if you can't use it lose it.

Wayne
Yea, no use for those either Wayne.

Sorry Rob, not a toothpick fan either but I have a few left, gave most away, to each his own. I know you like them and that is all that matters. Just think, more for you...

Not a huge fixed blade fan either but plan on getting ONE nice CASE stag to fill a need. Russlock is a joke in my opinion although some guys like them.

Oh, and any new pattern that comes in 90 different sexy sounding handle colors. Reminds me of shopping for PowerBait. Dad was not a fan either. I'll stick to my old green bone, red bone, bone, rough black and stag, thank you very much.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Actually, The sunfish pattern was widely used to cut rope in mercantile stores of the day. Done by beating the back side with a batton method... BH
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Hmm, where do I start? I don't really care for scout knives but I do admit to their usefulness. I don't care for Barlows either. I hate Leg knives, and serrated blades, and fantasy knives. I'm not a fan of short fat elephant toes or sunfish.
I would not even consider buying a cotton sampler.

I LOVE Russlocks, Trappers, and Swell end/teardrop jacks! (not necessarily in that order.)
Muskrats are low on my list but I like the few that I own. Folding hunters are great. I have a few tacticals that have served me well, but I dislike Tantos.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

I don't like toothpicks or muskrats.
I used to not like lemon pie much either, TJ.
But Mrs. Frieda makes a sugar-free one that is the
best lemon pie I everhad.
Charlie, remind me to show you my spyderco at blade.
I wasn't a fan of them either.....
At least there are enough variants to please everyone out there!
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

zp4ja wrote:
jlw257 wrote:I like them all as long as they're Case Tested, XX, or USA Pattens. To heck with the rest.
Trappers rules. Larry
With Larry on this although the Trapper is not my pattern.
btrwtr wrote:For me it has to be a functional knife first and foremost. Too many fantasy, couldn't use it if you wanted to knives out there. Uncomfortable in your hand an just plain weird looking. I certainly believe to each his own but for me if you can't use it lose it.

Wayne
Yea, no use for those either Wayne.

Sorry Rob, not a toothpick fan either but I have a few left, gave most away, to each his own. I know you like them and that is all that matters. Just think, more for you...

Not a huge fixed blade fan either but plan on getting ONE nice CASE stag to fill a need. Russlock is a joke in my opinion although some guys like them.

Oh, and any new pattern that comes in 90 different sexy sounding handle colors. Reminds me of shopping for PowerBait. Dad was not a fan either. I'll stick to my old green bone, red bone, bone, rough black and stag, thank you very much.

Jerry
Jerry, I couldn't agree more about the Russ lock. It looks extremely uncomfortable and marginally useful to me. But to each their own.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Back in the mid to late 90s I poured over a Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalog for just the right knife 'cause I was only buying ONE.
I settled on this trapper, liking the yellow handles because my dad liked yellow; Case, because that's all my cousin would carry; SS for the practicality of it, and it would sort of fit with my other knives, maybe 5 or so.
It's got hollow ground blades, which I don't care for and stainless steel isn't my bag anymore.
But to answer the "blade pattern" question, it's the long spey blade that keeps this knife out of the sunlight for me.
Attachments
IMG_2918.JPG
Joe
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

I don´t like Tantos, Russlocks, pruning blades, canoes and Buck 110´s and their clones. What I find extremely weird is the new "Zombie killer knife style". :shock:
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

I don't like toothpicks, but I often find a long slender blade to be of use. I don't like Kershaw Leeks, but again, the blade is a useful form. Tantos--the Japanese style--are a decent combat knife, though I've never managed to find other uses for them; the American style is great because EVERYONE should have one knife just for poking holes in car doors! ::rotflol::

I can find a use for almost any useful blade shape. A good knife is a good knife; some are just better at some tasks than others--but there is probably a task that those other blades are better-suited to than the first one. Sometimes I don't like the steel used, or the execution of the knife by the maker, or there are ergonomic problems (I can't use a large stockman), but that isn't because of the blade pattern.

For me, no matter the pattern, a blade is ruined when they cut serrations in it. I just can't find a use for it.

And even I can't figure a use for some of the "fantasy knives".
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”