Case CV

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
markdeerhunter

Case CV

Post by markdeerhunter »

Why are so few models made out of CV steel anymore?I think it is vastly superior to Tru-Sharp.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case CV

Post by knifeaholic »

markdeerhunter wrote:Why are so few models made out of CV steel anymore?I think it is vastly superior to Tru-Sharp.

Because Case does not make knives anymore...Case makes "collectibles"...a not so subtle difference.
markdeerhunter

Post by markdeerhunter »

I just got a Dark Redbone Medium Stockman and Texas Tiny Toothpick with CV steel and they are fine knives.I wish they would make all of their models available in CV.
alexander

Post by alexander »

I would also like to see more in cv. One of my favorites to carry is a chestnut bone cv trapper. Hard to beat! (unless it's 1095... ;) )
jmays

Post by jmays »

i got a model 3137 yellow sodbuster in CV had it for 7 years and it works good! :) ::nod::
☺JMAYS☺
Hukk

Re: Case CV

Post by Hukk »

markdeerhunter wrote:Why are so few models made out of CV steel anymore?I think it is vastly superior to Tru-Sharp.
Because Tru-Sharp is basically 420HC and though I suspect it cost just a bit more, CV costs more to work with. CV is basically a modified 1095, but it is a high carbon steel with Vanadium and Chromium added for toughness and edge retention.

I don't know about y'all, but I'm getting real tired of nice knives all dressed up in 420HC when there's 5160, 52100, 0-1, A-2, L-6, D-2, and 1095 to name a few excellent ones. For stainless, lets not forget 440C, 154 CPM (American version of Japanese ATS-34), CPM 3V, and CPM S30V, also to name a few excellent ones. I say nice knives, because with better steel, some would be great knives.

There are a lot of excellent steels out there, Case and most all companies are using the cheapest steels, they are decent, just not even close to being the best.
Hukk
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hukk,
Buddy you said a mouth full! ::tu:: ::tu::
One of the reasons I am such fan of Kershaw is the steel they use. AM6 & AUS-8A are both very good steels. I think AM6 is cheaper, but it is still several times better steel than Case or Schrade (and I like Schrades, just not crazy about their stainless), or most of the other American companies making traditional patterns.
Kershaw also uses ATS-34 & other high-tech steels.

Benchmade came out with a couple NRA knives a year or so ago. I bought one and gave it to my dad. He loves it, but the odd think is one blade is 420(IIRC) and the other is ATS-34. Guess which blade he likes the best...........yep, the ATS-34.

If the American companies would start making knives with great steel, instead of 420 & 440 then I might get excited about them & buy more. I love my Primitive Bone GEC with 1095, I just can't bring myself to use it yet. It is so pretty! ::drool::

Has anyone here used a carbon steel GRC yet?

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
useem

Post by useem »

Well Orvet, as far as using a carbon steel GEC, I'm fighting the urge myself! I keep telling myself, "That's what the BUCK 110 is for!" :D
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

You bet, a 2007 Bocote and it performs like 1095 should! (2006 is just to look at) You just can't get a better knife than GEC makes for $75.00 and I have compared them to MANY others, some costing the same or more. When I heal up enough I would like to do some rope cutting with a GEC vs. the Mountain Man in 1095 by Queen. I rated the Queen lower than the GEC because of backspring strength, fit and finish on the 4 knives (2 each) I tested was virtually the same, though the GEC knives closed with the blade dead center. The Mountain Man was close to dead center, but was about .005 off center, yeah the thickness of 3 hairs. :lol: :lol:

More folks are going away from Hitatchi's ATS-34 in favor of Crucible's 154 CPM, a little cleaner I hear. ::tu:: USA ::tu:: :mrgreen:

I would love to have all my knives with better steel, rather than adequate. Guess that's why I started making knives. ::shrug::
Hukk
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

Will you guys Shhhhh, pls ?

If the factories hear that the knife-buying customers are disgusted with their steel, then they'll upgrade (to the cheapest possible "decent" steel), and then you'll put a lotta custom makers out of business !

Seriously, you KNOW the factories are aware that they're producing junk, heck they've got metallurgists with more letters behind their name, than the alphabet. But as long as there's "profit" in fancy handles and shiny blades, that's what they'll make. I'm not necessarily pointing my finger at Case, but at this point in time, they ARE a prime example.

It appears that the "new breed" of factory exec's (who make the decisions, but know nothing about knives), have chosen to disregard the examples set by old names like Colonial, Imperial, Hammer Brand, etc. When you cheapen the knife, you don't stick around long.

Back in the glory days of American p.knives - Case, Robeson, S&M - on and on - there were very, very few custom makers. Why ? Because Farmer Brown didn't need to buy a custom ~ the factories were producing some of the best available cutlery to be had. I have my Grandpa's Diamond Edge, don't use it, because of sentimental value - but, it'll probably cut the edge off any 420HC blade, in any hardware store. (We won't even discuss imports, right now.)

The new "catch phrase" in collector groups seems to be "Read the Knife", used almost exclusively in regard to antiques, and counterfeiting... We should all "Read" the new knives, as well, before we buy 'em.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get started - I didn't run outta steam, but I didn't want to "hog" the thread, either.

Ya'll take care,
JR
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

You go JR! ::ds::
We have all heard each others rants............it would be nice to hear a new one. :lol: :lol:

Give us both barrels. You are preaching to the choir, but we will enjoy the sermon! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Hukk

Post by Hukk »

orvet wrote:You go JR! ::ds::
We have all heard each others rants............it would be nice to hear a new one. :lol: :lol:

Give us both barrels. You are preaching to the choir, but we will enjoy the sermon! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dale
GOTTA THINK OF THE OTHER ANGLE :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would like to be able to work on knives EVERY day and SOON! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hukk
wildcat

Post by wildcat »

markdeerhunter, here is what you do....

You buy the knife you want, even if it has SS blades. Then you buy the yellow handle CV equivelant. Once you get them, you either send them to one of the gentleman here that can change the blades out or you can do it yourself. Its a win win for everyone (especially Case). Of course you quadrupled the cost of that one CV knife, but that is besides the point. ::dang:: :lol: :lol:
EricKy

Post by EricKy »

Which would perform better Case Cv or Eyebrand 1075(?) or would there be much of a differance. I'm wanting to buy a knife with carbon blades for edc. My current one is a Case Duck unlimited minitrapper with ss blades. Looking at either a Eyebrand European stag minitrapper or a Case med stockman with rounded bolsters in CV.
beasbookz

G.E.C. Primitive Bone: As a user

Post by beasbookz »

Hi Dale,
I've been using my 1095 Primitive for a month or so and it cuts well both blades and is coloring nicely. Mine is very hard and took a bit to get going, after that it cuts well; diamonds and then a brown spyderco medium ceramic stone gives a nice gritty, aggressive edge. After establishing a good bevel, kick the knife up a couple of degrees and modify the edge on ceramic to how you want it, go by feel and leave some toothiness- It will pop hairs!
John (Beasbookz)

"Life is too short to be vindictive or petty, so laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!"
TM

Post by TM »

hey Ericky - if you're still on the fence about which knife to buy, here's my 2 cents:

You really can't go wrong with the good old Case, yellow handle CV Trapper and Stockman. Both of these are fairly enexpensive and hold an edge well. The walk and talk on both of mine is great. The one thing I've noticed about the Case yellows is you do have to pay attention to the fit and finish... sometimes the scales aren't always fitted as well as I like them to be. The nice thing is, you can still find these in most hardware stores - so it's no problem to check through a few of the boxes until you find the one that feels right :D .
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

CV in my opinion is umatched in it's ease of sharpening and ability to get "scary" sharp without much effort.

I collect all kinds of knives with an assortment of different steel being used in them but my everyday carry and reigning champ is a simple yellow handled trapper in CV. It will cut you to the bone if your not careful and give you a shave after that's done..

You can also enhance the simple handle into anything you want...Here is where I had it done.. :)

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... gory_id=69

“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
EricKy

Post by EricKy »

Thanks folks. My current edc is a Case ducks unlimited minitrapper in ss. Really starting to like the looks of the medium stockman Case Cv in amber bone. All I've ever had from Case has been ss but really considering the CV.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I'd go with the CV, being it's a variant of 1095. 1075 and 1095 are both of the 10xx family the latter two numbers being percentage of carbon content, 1075 is .75% +/-, 1095 is .95 +/- and both are good steels and heat treating makes a huge difference in the quality of the blade. However I hear that Eyebrand 1075 has had heat treating problems in another post here over the years and may be squared away now. Regardless of that, I'd pick CV because of the added Chromium and Vanadium that give it better edge retention and toughness over 1075.
Hukk
EricKy

Post by EricKy »

Either my computer was acting stupid or I stutter when I type. I didnt mean to post the same message 3 times.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

We just thought you were very serious about getting your point across.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

EricKy wrote:Either my computer was acting stupid or I stutter when I type. I didnt mean to post the same message 3 times.
What stutter? ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::shrug:: :mrgreen:
Hukk
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks John. ::tu::
I keep looking at it & KNOW it would feel good in my pocket, but just can't bring myself to use it yet.
I guess it would be easier if I didn't have so many users already. :lol:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

EricKy

Post by EricKy »

Hukk wrote:
EricKy wrote:Either my computer was acting stupid or I stutter when I type. I didnt mean to post the same message 3 times.
What stutter? ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::shrug:: :mrgreen:

They deleted the extra message. I repeat the same message a couple of times.
EricKy

Post by EricKy »

Here is the one i went with.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”