Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by jerryd6818 »

I feel kinda lonesome in a couple of ways, as a baseball fan and a knuckle head, glutton for punishment Cub fan. Is there anyone besides me on the forum that follows baseball? I watch at least part of just about every Cub's game. There was a time when I was glued to the TV, living and dying with every pitch. I've mellowed.

The Giants picked up two runs last night in the seventh to make it 2-1 Giants so like any fatalistic Cub fan, I turned off the TV and went to bed. It was such a pitchers dual I figured the Cubs were toast. Imagine my surprise when I woke up to a victory. They must have gotten to the Giants closer because they picked up two more runs in the nineth to win 4-3. Yeah Cubbies.

If there are any baseball fans out there in AAPK land, this is the place to cuss and discuss it. It may turn out to be my own private thread, i.e. the lone voice crying in the wilderness. :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by carrmillus »

..........jerry, I got so disguted years ago when they went on strike for more money, I quit watching pro baseball, however, i'm still a big college bb fan, my alma mater(miss. state) finally made it back to the cws this year.and almost won it!!!.........go dawgs!!!!............... ::tu:: ...............
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

My wife and I are Die Hard Atlanta Braves fans, but we don't miss Chipper.
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::ds:: Cincinnati Reds!!!! ::tu:: ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

Detroit Tigers. ::tu::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tommy -- That's a long time to carry a grudge.

jlw257 -- And all this time I thought Chipper Jones was loved dearly by all Atlanta fans. :mrgreen:

ferg -- If things continue the way they are, three of the playoff teams are going to be from the Central Division. I'm pulling for Pittsburgh to make it this year. After twenty seasons below .500 that would be awesome for them. And BTW what is it about Chicago? Every place Dusty has been, his teams have done well -- except for three of his four years at Chicago.

Apropos of nothing factoid: Dusty Baker was in the Marine Corps Reserve from 1969 through 1975.

Chris -- Good to see the Tigers leading that Central Division. (I can't stand the White Sox)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Let Go Bravos!!!!!!!!!

That Braves to you Cubby's
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Cutty -- Y'all need to get rid of that tomahawk chop thing. It's annoying as all get out. I turn off the sound when the Cubs are playing in Atlanta.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Another Braves fan checking in - go Braves!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote:Tommy -- That's a long time to carry a grudge.

jlw257 -- And all this time I thought Chipper Jones was loved dearly by all Atlanta fans. :mrgreen:

ferg -- If things continue the way they are, three of the playoff teams are going to be from the Central Division. I'm pulling for Pittsburgh to make it this year. After twenty seasons below .500 that would be awesome for them. And BTW what is it about Chicago? Every place Dusty has been, his teams have done well -- except for three of his four years at Chicago.

Apropos of nothing factoid: Dusty Baker was in the Marine Corps Reserve from 1969 through 1975.

Chris -- Good to see the Tigers leading that Central Division. (I can't stand the White Sox)
jerry, i'm still mad about 'em ruining soldier field!!!!!! ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: ...................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Forget Soldier Field. I was into football hot and heavy when I wore a younger man's clothes but now I could care less.

It just hit me. I have some friends and an ex-brother-in-law that only live about 60-70 miles from you, up in that Olive Branch - Byhalia area. I understand that Memphis has it's problems but I enjoyed my trips down there. Good people, good food. What more could you ask for.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
wishful

Post by wishful »

The Sox Nation rocks. ::tu::
Life would be meaningless if we couldn't wish for anything.
CobraBill

Post by CobraBill »

NY Yankees all the way.
The team has been hit hard this year with player injuries.
They come back, then get hurt again and go back out.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote:Forget Soldier Field. I was into football hot and heavy when I wore a younger man's clothes but now I could care less.

It just hit me. I have some friends and an ex-brother-in-law that only live about 60-70 miles from you, up in that Olive Branch - Byhalia area. I understand that Memphis has it's problems but I enjoyed my trips down there. Good people, good food. What more could you ask for.
....jerry, Memphis has gotten to be like most of the other big cities in this country, a cesspool!!!......both Byhalia and olive branch are nice sleepy southern towns-my kind of place-tupelo is nothing like it was when I was growing up, it's gotten way too big, about 40,000 pop. now, nothing like it used to be............... ::td:: ..................I always thought the old soldier field should have been placed on the Nat'l. register and preserved, because geo. s. patton once spoke there!!!..... ::tu:: ......
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I grew up a Cincinnatti Reds fan - started watching baseball around 1975, soooo. Big Red machine was the shizzle.
Due to the proximity to ATL, I started going to Braves games when they were TERRiBLE. Went to the old Fulton County Stadium. Met Hank Aaron - got his autograph.
So, now I've been a Braves fan so long I miss DALE MURPHY. I go to at least one game a year at Turner Field.
Those two teams are my favorites, but I also like the Seattle Mariners. Don't ask me why. Must be a sailing thing.

But my true love is MINOR LEAGUE baseball. I've been to see several teams, I love the colorful names. In Minor leagues you can sit right behind home plate for $8!
That is close enough to spit on the umpire. I've been to see the Montgomery Biscuits, The Myrtle Beach Pelicans, Greenville Drive, Charlotte Knights, Charleston Riverdogs, Greensboro Grasshoppers, Savannah Sand Gnats, Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, and the Chattanooga Lookouts. Probably a few others too....

I even like to go see the independent leagues. We had a team in Anderson, SC named after Shoeless Joe Jackson. The Anderson Joes! Go Joes. They were a part of the short lived independent SOUTH COAST LEAGUE. I got to meet Detroit Tigers slugger CECIL FIELDER in line at the concession stand at an Anderson Joes game. He was the leagues hitting coach. (yep, Prince Fielders Dad....)

JerryD, I do kind of feel for the Cubs. I used to travel to Chicago on business, and once had the opportunity to see a Cubs game from the rooftop across the street from the stadium.
You know the drill Jerry - "we'll get 'em next year!"
Attachments
Turner Field
Turner Field
945453_532278020151537_2052729989_n.jpg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 10876 times
Flour Field - Home of the Greenville Drive. The Drive is a Class A BOSOX farm team. Flour Field has the same dimensions as Fenway Park. Even a mini Green Monster.
Flour Field - Home of the Greenville Drive. The Drive is a Class A BOSOX farm team. Flour Field has the same dimensions as Fenway Park. Even a mini Green Monster.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

jerryd6818 wrote:Forget Soldier Field. I was into football hot and heavy when I wore a younger man's clothes but now I could care less.

And good music too!

Come to think of it, Memphis has a minor league baseball team too. The REDBIRDS, I think...
-Blue
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

rangerbluedog wrote:Come to think of it, Memphis has a minor league baseball team too. The REDBIRDS, I think...
That is correct, the RedBirds......saw them play in 2009 on a trip to Memphis.
On my recent trip to NYC I was able to see the Yankees and Orioles at the new Yankees Stadium. The Yankees pulled out a 3-2 victory in the 9th and it was pretty exciting and loud. On my way home through Seattle my Brother and I went and saw the Mariners defeat the Red Sox 11-4 with 25 hits in the game, a lot of fun to watch that.

IM
:)
Attachments
Ichiro.JPG
SafeCo Field.JPG
AAPK #6581
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

YANKEEs :lol: ! :lol:
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Great pics. I recognized Ichiro by his stance. Kind of short and closed, but man can that guy hit. ::tu::
-Blue
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well Blue, it won't be next year and probably not the year after that. Maybe 2016. ::dang::

You're right. Those independent league teams have some interesting names. Here in Rockford it was the Rockford River Hawks but something changed and now it's the Rockford Aviators. ::shrug:: Up in Beloit WI, it's the Snappers. The Evansville Otters are in the same league as Rockford which used to be the Evansville River Otters (IIRC). One of my favorites is the Lansing Lugnuts. Where else can you sit right off 3rd base for ten bucks?

I've been to Wrigley Field twice. Cubs lost both times.

But they didn't lose tonight. It was a pitchers dual out in San Francisco. A home run in the 9th gave the Cubs the lead 1-0. In the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded and no one out, I thought they were done for. I'm beginning to think Kevin Gregg is as bad as Dumbo (Carlos Marmol - Next time you see him, take a look at those ears) and can't get anyone out unless the pressure is on. They turned a double play and now they have a chance to sweep the series tomorrow afternoon.

Couple of pictures taken my last time at Wrigley Field with my old phone.
Attachments
Wrigley Field.jpg
Wrigley Field.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
0802071238.jpg
0802071238.jpg (28.26 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
0802071310.jpg
0802071310.jpg (25.63 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
junebug

Post by junebug »

MAD HOUSE HERE 8) 8)
ME=YANKEES Image

TIFF=DODGERS.......... ::td:: ...............Image
SKYLER=REDSOX ...... ::td:: ............Image
MIKEY=GIANTS .......... ::td:: ............ Image
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I was a Dodger fan when they were still in Brooklyn so you can imagine how I feel about the Yankees.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote:Well Blue, it won't be next year and probably not the year after that. Maybe 2016. ::dang::

You're right. Those independent league teams have some interesting names. Here in Rockford it was the Rockford River Hawks but something changed and now it's the Rockford Aviators. ::shrug:: Up in Beloit WI, it's the Snappers. The Evansville Otters are in the same league as Rockford which used to be the Evansville River Otters (IIRC). One of my favorites is the Lansing Lugnuts. Where else can you sit right off 3rd base for ten bucks?

I've been to Wrigley Field twice. Cubs lost both times.

But they didn't lose tonight. It was a pitchers dual out in San Francisco. A home run in the 9th gave the Cubs the lead 1-0. In the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded and no one out, I thought they were done for. I'm beginning to think Kevin Gregg is as bad as Dumbo (Carlos Marmol - Next time you see him, take a look at those ears) and can't get anyone out unless the pressure is on. They turned a double play and now they have a chance to sweep the series tomorrow afternoon.

Couple of pictures taken my last time at Wrigley Field with my old phone.
.............jerry, I like the last shot!!!....... ::tu:: ........I didn't realize how long the bears played their football games at Wrigley until recently!!........have you ever heard the story about bronco nagurski running thru the end zone and running into the brick wall and cracking it???.....they say the crack is still there!!!!................. ::tu:: .....................
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Jerry that lower pic is a better game :wink:
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Bunch of pervs. :mrgreen:

Cubs Win! Cubs Win! Cubs Win! Swept the series with the Giants. Of course the Giants are not very good but that's not the point. :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”