CASE 11, 11-1/2, 11-1/2L and Cheetah thread

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
zp4ja

Re: CASE 11, 11-1/2, 11-1/2L and Cheetah thread

Post by zp4ja »

Nice knives guys!

Shug, nice 77'. These knives feel good in hand to me.

cutty, interesting pic angle. I like it. Pretty jigging.

Thanks for posting! Keep them coming.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Here are two 1970 10 dot 6111-1/2. All dots are visible even with the swing guard...

Jerry
Attachments
1970 10 dot 6111_half L date stamp_both knives.jpg
1970 10 dot 6111_half L front baldes extended_both knives.jpg
1970 10 dot 6111_half L back baldes extended_both knives.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
caddyman1973

Post by caddyman1973 »

I only got one...Its either an 8 or 9 dot (8 are visible, maybe one more)
046.JPG
You be tolerant....
You coexist....
I will do NEITHER!!!!
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Caddyman, I like the bone alot on that knife. Beautiful!!!

I posted this one elsewhere but pertinent to the thread with better pics this time.

CASE 1970 10 dot 5111-1/2 Cheetah Prototype...
Attachments
Cheetah 5111 half L 10 dot prototype_ mark side closed.jpg
Cheetah 5111 half  L_10 dot prototype_ date stamp.jpg
Cheetah 5111 half L 10 dot prototype_ etch and shield side.jpg
Cheetah 5111 half L 10 dot prototype_ etch.jpg
Cheetah 5111 half L 10 dot prototype_ pileside open.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Keep posting those knives!!!

Here is my red bone Factory Error (no model stamp) CASE XX USA 6111-1/2L. Now this is a CASE Red bone for sure. I love this knife. Amazing bone color in my opinion.

Regards, Jerry
Attachments
6111 half_USA_ Red Bone_No model stamp_ mark side.jpg
6111 half_USA_ Red Bone_No model stamp_ pile side.jpg
have aknife day

Post by have aknife day »

Cheetah is my favorite pattern...except for congress,bulldog,whittler,stockman,sowbelly and fixed blades!!(all CASE)
CASE CHEETAHS:65-69 sabre redbone and two 70 or 71's(can tell,dots hidden by swing guard)one big Stamp L and one Small Stamp lssp
CASE CHEETAHS:65-69 sabre redbone and two 70 or 71's(can tell,dots hidden by swing guard)one big Stamp L and one Small Stamp lssp
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey HAKD,

Those knives looks real pretty. Can't tell you much more without seeing pictures of the model stamps for each knife. The bolsters are blinding since they appear to be buffed heavily. No offense but if you don't mind me asking, are these knives purchased this way or are you buffing them or having someone do it? Reason I ask is some collectors are drawn to that and some are turned off by it. Whatever state I get my knives in, I personally only use Blue Magic by hand and cloth on mine. To each his own, just curious. Although the pics from your following post 4 days ago is not of the quality of this picture on this post, the knives you just posted don't look the same as 4 days ago. Your knives to do as you wish, everyone likes them different, just curious. Maybe just the pics and my eyes.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =4&t=35220

I can tell you that based on your description of the picture file you attached and the fact that 10 dot Cheetah knife was not made with both Large and Small Stamps, both posted Stags are not 10 dots. The 10 dot Stags are extremely rare. Not saying one of the 2 Stags you have posted are not a 10 dot, just not both. All the 10 dots as far as I know have all 10 dots CLEARLY visible even given the swing guard factor. Very few 10 dots made. Some nine dots have all 9 dots visible as I understand but the percentage is extremely small. No 8 dots were made. The 9 dot Cheetahs are still low run and rare though in my opinion.

If you want to take the time to snap a few pics of the pile side model stamps on all the knives, be happy to take a look. They don't need to be macro shots, just swing guard positioned to where most of the stamp is visible as possible with some of the handle and blade included is fine. Even on the USA bone 11-1/2L as some variations exist on that model/year but have to see the model stamp to determine that.

Jerry
have aknife day

no problem...i have pics to post of all three
they are same condition as they were 4 days ago! you are right, they do look a little differant in the two pics though!!
i think i will open a thread
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks! can you please post the requested pics to this thread also please. That way members don't have to search around to find the pics relating to this thread, subject and question. Otherwise it get to confusing to follow the topic at hand.

Thanks, Jerry
have aknife day

ok what do you think?
stag cheetah's
stag cheetah's
closer-ER
closer-ER
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Same as my original reply. Looks good so far on the mark side pics but not the provided pile side pics I suggested in my reply. Flip the knives over and take the same pics. Please include one of the USA 6111-1/2L too!

I do like the way the mark side looks as far as the nail nick size and shape, relation to the Cheetah etch, etc.

I AM NOT AN EXPERT! But do know a thing or two on Cheetahs and 11-1/2s as I own a few that you can see in this post if you look back a bit. Either way, my word is not a guarantee of authenticity. Just some tell tale signs that make a 10 dot or 9 dot or not, etc, etc. Post pics as suggested of the pile side model stamps with swing guards out of the way like you just posted.

Just trying to help out and not pick your knives apart. The pile side pics will speak very clearly as to what you have. Just the nature of this particular frame in the year and pattern you posted.

I am sure other members will chime in also to politely confirm that I am full of crap or correct. Can't do anymore without the suggested pics though.

Jerry
nutcase

Post by nutcase »

Here's a few 9 or 10's that have Stag issues but perfect blades. The Cheetah is my carry and by far my favorite
Attachments
cheetah 024.JPG
cheetah 023.JPG
cheetah 025.JPG
cheetah 026.JPG
have aknife day

ok
DSC00302.JPG
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

nutcase wrote:Here's a few 9 or 10's that have Stag issues but perfect blades. The Cheetah is my carry and by far my favorite
Very nice nutcase!!! All nine dots. 1 small stamp and 3 large stamp. What stag issues? Those are beautiful. A little darker than ones I have seen but that doesn't mean anything. I'm no expert. Nice Cheetahs. What else you got hiding in that 11-1/2 roll?
have aknife day wrote:ok
DSC00302.JPG
Great looking knives HAKD! Both the stags are nine dots. The USA is a nice one too. On the USA era only CASE 11-1/2L, if you have one with no model stamp or an "extra 1" in the model number, you have something there. Scarce factory errors. That one pictured is normal production. Certainly not a bad thing in my book. Great knife. I'll take the non factory error USAs all day long. I still am looking for an "extra 1" knife in good shape.

Nice Cheetahs Guys! The 9 dot Cheetahs are scarce. Only made 1 year in limited quantities. Thanks for showing them.

Jerry
nutcase

Post by nutcase »

The person I aquired them from had them in oil at one time or another. I will post some other Cheetahs soon as I have a question on a swing guard on one of them.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

nutcase wrote:The person I aquired them from had them in oil at one time or another. I will post some other Cheetahs soon as I have a question on a swing guard on one of them.

Thanks for the reply nutcase.

Just curious what type of oil we are talking about? I have read some posts here where collectors have used mineral oil on bone and stag knives with success. I personally have done on a few knives, bone and stag. I normally just apply a light coating on the knife then wrap the knife in a sealed mason jar overnight in a mineral oil lightly soaked chamois cloth. The mineral oil will not affect the metal parts, as far as I know. Lots of guys use it. I did this about 6 months ago on some none rare knives just to watch over time. No ill effects observed so far. Only bone and stag for this treatment though as far as I know. Your results may vary. My understanding is that it hydrates the bone and stag.

Please tell me that the previous owner did not submerse some scarce knives in motor oil, brake fluid or some other crap in an failed attempt to preserve the knives. Might explain the dark stag. The texture and fingerprint on those stag 71' Cheetahs you posted are truly awesome in my opinion.

Look forward to your swing guard question. No expert here but will try to help and I am sure others will chime in.

Regards, Jerry
nutcase

Post by nutcase »

Jerry

It possibly may have been Transmission fluid. I appreciate the the tips and will try the mineral oil. Here's some pictures of a Cheetah XX with different swing guard. Looks to me like a repair/replacement to me but don't know for sure. I still like it never the less.

Thanks
Attachments
AAPK 2-10-13 6111 004.JPG
AAPK 2-10-13 6111 001.JPG
AAPK 2-10-13 6111 002.JPG
AAPK 2-10-13 6111 003.JPG
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

nutcase wrote:Jerry

It possibly may have been Transmission fluid. I appreciate the the tips and will try the mineral oil. Here's some pictures of a Cheetah XX with different swing guard. Looks to me like a repair/replacement to me but don't know for sure. I still like it never the less.

Thanks
Your welcome. Yes, that swing guard has been replaced. Case used the same swing guards in XX as they did decades prior and to present day from the knives i have seen. You seemed to have a pretty nice roll of 11-1/2s in one of your pics. I assume this swinguard is the only one-off. I have XX to 81' 11-1/2s and Cheetah and all have the same swing guard.

On the mineral oil, I suggest that you go to the General Knife Discussion forum and put "mineral oil" in the search box for that forum. You will get varying opinions on the use. It appears most agree that useful when used sparingly. Some used a "bath" on stag to rehydrate it. I personally would be concerned about darkening the stag by doing so but if the stag is dry and brittle, I might try it. A mineral oil bath could be detrimental and overkill on a bone knife and could possibly damage it by removing the color. Just what I read, never done the bath treatment. As I said, I normally just apply a light coating on the knife then wrap the knife in a sealed mason jar overnight in a mineral oil lightly soaked chamois cloth.

Not sure there is any remedy for the possible tranny fluid treatment. I guess the owner thought it was a good idea at the time. Still pretty knives just real dark.

Since I am real intrigued by the 70' Proto and 71' Production Cheetahs, both low runs for a 1970s knife in my opinion, just how many are still around. Just my curiousity make me wonder how many are left since some may have been lost, broken, misused, etc since possibly the owners did not realize what they had nor possibly cared.

Regards, Jerry
nutcase

Post by nutcase »

These actually need a little dehydration. I wipe them off with a terry cloth every now and then and that seems to help.

Thanks for the help and I will get some more pics of others out.

Thanks

Randy
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Adding my 11-1/2 additions...
Attachments
CASE 77' 5111-half LSSP Blue Scroll Engraved SN 028_mark side.jpg
CASE 77' 5111-half LSSP Blue Scroll Engraved SN 028_pile side.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_mark side_SN 554.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_pile side_SN 554.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_top view_SN 554.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

some more...
Attachments
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_mark side SN 709.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_pile side SN 709.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_top view SN 709.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_mark side SN 028 and 682.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_pile side SN 028 and 682.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Reviving this thread with one I picked up a few weeks back.

Please post them if you have them. Love seeing them.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE XX USA 6111-halfL_mark side.jpg
CASE XX USA 6111-halfL_pile side.jpg
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Outstanding Blue Scroll, nice fat stag.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Magoo! Relly favor that stag alot.

Here is a CASE XX 6111-1/2L
Attachments
CASE XX 6111-halfL_ mark side.jpg
CASE XX 6111-halfL pile side.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

few more I picked up awhile back. The 77' Blue Scroll is a factory error, no serial number. Rare knife.
Attachments
76' Bone_77' Bone_77' Stag Blue Scroll Engraved_mark side.jpg
76' Bone_77' Bone_77' Stag Blue Scroll Engraved_pile side.jpg

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”