CASE "TESTED" TRAPPER

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
plumbob

CASE "TESTED" TRAPPER

Post by plumbob »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-TESTED-XX- ... 3f1e830b7c

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A FAT STAG TESTED TRAPPER-IS THIS WHAT YOU FELLOWS CALL A FRANKENKNIFE?

HAVING TROUBLE POSTING THE PICTURES PROPERLY-SORRY

Attachments
trapper 1.jpg
trapper 1.jpg (1.25 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
trapper.jpg
trapper.jpg (1.48 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
bworldwidedotcom

Re: CASE "TESTED" TRAPPER

Post by bworldwidedotcom »

Fake and pretty bad at that, in my opinion...

The handles are not anywhere near what Tested era stag is supposed to look like.

The blades don't look right and neither does the frame.

The "no return" policy of the seller and the fact that it is the only item he is listing seems suspect as well (perhaps more than anything).

If the seller sees this, sorry, but I am just offering my opinion to a man who asked...
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Bobby,
Nothing about that knife looks right to me. I think the shield is a USA or more modern shield and I agree Case never made stag like that in 1920-40. Pin placement looks wrong also. I can't see the tang stamp good enough to comment but I would bet it is NOT authentic. ::td::

Tom
bworldwidedotcom

olderdogs1 wrote:Bobby,
Nothing about that knife looks right to me. I think the shield is a USA or more modern shield and I agree Case never made stag like that in 1920-40. Pin placement looks wrong also. I can't see the tang stamp good enough to comment but I would bet it is NOT authentic. ::td::

Tom
I second what Tom says about the shield...def. a later than Tested-era shield.

Another thing: Look at the photo in the listing where you can see the top of the front stag scale (the one with the shield on it) - it is very obvious that whoever put this stag on the knife tried to darken it, perhaps with wood stain, dye or perhaps a blowtorch (or all three).

That big flat portion (on both sides) where the scales run around the brass liners on top is also a dead giveaway that these handles are not Tested-era workmanship.

I know it's probably been said before, but during the Tested era (gee, for that matter, let's say 1850-1950 as well), when you saw deer antler on a handle of a pocketknife, it was best described in two ways, as follows. First, it was uniformly (or generally) darker in color. A primary reason for this thin-ness was due to the fact that it was thinly sliced (meaning the scale blanks were cut very close to the outer edge of the antler). This generally results in a smaller scale blank from which to work from, but that is a separate issue...

The thin-ness of the scale blank at the beginning of the process leads us to the second characteristic: that the bark was rarely sanded or ground down as the scale approached the bolsters, as is the typical method since at least the 70's on. Heck, if you look at Case and other factory stag knives of the 70's and 80's all you will see is a little spot of bark near the center pin, while the rest of it tapers down to the bolsters, showing the natural pithy composition of the antler.

Additionally, most of the stag used on knives from the 1800's and early 1900's was from a totally different species of deer than what you began to see used after that. The older stag (I believe) was antlers from deer harvested in India - the rest after that was harvested from European and even domestic (N. & S. American) animals. Totally different natural colors and characteristics. Refer to one of the many good knife price guides for further information on this; I am summarizing from memory at this point.

Anyway - the antler on this knife *looks* like it was done in the traditions of the 70's and forward - of course this knife could have been cobbled together last week. Based on what we are *seeing* in the knife itself, there is nothing to suggest it was assembled during the time period it purports to be from in the auction listing.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Man, too hard for me to call. I do have some Case stag from the 70's that is monstrous thick. I'll be interested in reading what Steve says.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Well the seller has had a change of heart about the authenticity???????????

I guess he did see this thread ::shrug:: He was "contacted by a few collectors"

Good for him to right the ship and put the proper questionable origin of the knife in the description ::tu::

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-TESTED-XX- ... 416dd286bf
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
bworldwidedotcom

Cutty wrote:Well the seller has had a change of heart about the authenticity???????????

I guess he did see this thread ::shrug:: He was "contacted by a few collectors"

Good for him to right the ship and put the proper questionable origin of the knife in the description ::tu::

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-TESTED-XX- ... 416dd286bf
I wonder who contacted him? Anyone from here willing to say?

I am "watching" the auction. I wouldn't be surprised if the bids go to $50-75 or possibly even $85. I think the thing to watch is if it falls into the hand of some shady flea market or pawn broker who will try to pass it off as the real thing without being in the radar of the online collectors.
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

I have no idea who but there are plenty of knifers that will. I have in the past, not on this particular knife though.
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”