In praise of the 301

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

In praise of the 301

Post by Colonel26 »

Yesterday I was working at our new (old) house pulling up and cutting out the old carpet. I must say this is the toughest carpet pulling up job I've ever had and a lot of it has had to be cut out from around the walls. I'd been using a German Eye Brand 4.25 inch stockman that is one of my all time favorite knives. But yesterday I decided to take my 301 (new type with the three back springs).

First of all this thing will get scary sharp. It made me rethink my ideas on stainless when I first got it. Secondly, it cut through that carpet like hot butter. Even after it should have been way dull, it just kept right on going. At the end of the day, it wouldn't shave any more but it was far from completely dull.

I'm sold on it. It's one fine knife, and tough. It's like an old Timex, you can use and abuse it, and it'll keep right on going. I can see why y'all are fans!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
UN-X-LD

Re: In praise of the 301

Post by UN-X-LD »

Love me a 301.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I agree completely Colonel!
The 301 is truly a workhorse of a knife...I like the fact that you can use it for just about any type of cutting chore, get it as mucked up as you need to, then just blast it out under the faucet, dry it off, drop on a bit of oil, and she's good to go again. And you are right about taking a great edge.....Also appreciate the thickness of the blades. The sawcut handles (ala Old Timer) even help keep it from slippin' out of the pocket when ya sit down, as well as providing a good gripping surface... Workhorse indeed. ::tu::
Here's mine...
pinewoods knives 006.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Here's my one and only Buck 301. My son found it in a car when he worked at the wrecking yard and gave it to me. I've sharpened it since but it had never been sharpened when he found it.

Yep, ya caught me Mike. I have another Stockman. In fact, if you dug through my pile, you would probably find a few more. ::mdm:: I might as well fess up. I bought and paid for two Camillus 69's.
Attachments
Buck 301 1990 - Open.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Hear, Hear, gentlemen!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Didn't think it would take long for the Colonel to show up when there's a Buck 301 afoot. :lol: Some people are so predictable. :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Jerry - I waited over 12 hours! Nice knives you got there gents - gotta add one of the three springs to my collection.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

It's ok Jerry....you don't need to be ashamed to come out of the stockman closet. It doesn't make you any less of a man. I've heard that something like 10% of any given crowd of knife accumulaters has a thing for stockmans, so you are not alone...just own who you are and be proud! :lol:
Old Hunter, I too am surprised it took you so long to chime in on a 301 thread, i thought of you right away when I saw the subject line!
On a related note, I used the sheepsfoot blade on my 301 just this morning to remove some paitners tape from the trim in my daughter's room...then used the spey blade as a screwdriver to (gently) twist in some curtain rod screws!
Mike
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Mike, the truth is I was at the Cowboys-Panthers game in Charlotte - game over about 4:00 pm, by the time I got out of the stadium, to my car, and through the local traffic and Interstate traffic (and stopped near Raleigh for a quick sandwich) I didn't get home until 9:20 pm. Otherwise I would have been right in here with you guys singing the praises of the Buck 301 - EARLY!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Y'all mentioned the thickness of the blades, that's a big plus. Personally, I'd rather have a tough using knife than a pretty but fragile safe queen. One of the things that I've always loved about German Eye knives is that their blades are so thick. They're just tough. The 301 has that same quality. For its size it has thicker than most blades, the edge taking and holding is really good too.

Also the clean up aspect is a big plus. Mine has the dymond (sp) wood handles, but even so wash it out, dry and oil and you're done. The three back springs and no liners makes this the easiest knife to clean that I have too.

So what's not to like? It won't break the bank, its a decent looking knife, well made, tough enough to take hard using, sharp and easy to sharpen, made in the USA, and I'm a big fan of their corporate philosophy (the message from the Buck family card).

I'm a carbon steel Solingen guy. But, this just may be the best deal, all things considered, in a new edc using knife. Old Hunter, you do need one of these new three spring models. It's the best thing since sliced bread. And to my way of thinking it makes the sheepsfoot blade even stronger since its straight. I'm a fan.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Okay Colonel26 - I will follow advice that I am convinced is solid - got a new one today. It is a 2012 MFG Buck 301, has the exposed edge on the spey blade that TAB commented on (TAB - looks like the synthetic handled version has the same construction as your laminated wood grip version). You cannot help but notice that the blades are quite thick, it has the soft snap of a three spring knife - gonna put some Coon P in the joints shortly. I will compare it to my early Schrade and Camillus 301 versions when I get the chance. If 300Bucks is around I would like to know if Buck ever used two spring construction in their early in-house built 301's (following the Schrade and Camillus designs) or if all Buck built 301's have been three spring knives (I can see that Jerry's 1990 uses three springs). OH

Ps TAB, when I compare the new 2012 Buck 301 to my original ones (and to a Schrade 8OT and a Kabar 1108) I note that all four of my other 4" Stockman knives have the sheepfoot blade pinned in the same end as the master (clip) blade. The spey is on the opposite end. On the new Buck 301 they have reversed the ends that the spey and sheepfoot are pinned to (new knife has the master clip paired with the spey) - I think that is why a portion of the cutting edge is exposed. I have also tried to get my finger to touch the sharp edge as it would in an accidental nicking - I cannot do it unless I push my fingertip straight down along the edge of the handle and run it into the tip of the blade. Knowing this I will be careful!
Attachments
2012-10-24_14-29-01_281.jpg
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Two springs occurred on the Buck made 301 starting in 85 and going upto/into 1990. The 303 went to three springs first. Likely you will see 3 springs 303s starting in 1991 issues. But they phased it in so some three blade models of 301 may have 91/92 date stamps. 300
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

OH, that's a fine looking knife there. Spray it out good with WD-40 to get all the polishing gunk out of it, oil it up good and it'll be fine.

I used mine today in ways that void most warranties getting carpet up out of our house. I cut against hard surfaces, used it as a chisel and pry bar, cut around staples, you name it. I even used one of my beloved Eye Brands along beside of it to compare them. It was no comparison. I finally put the Eye Brand away. The Buck at the end of the day was still cutting better than it should have.

I full well believe that for a hard using knife the Buck 301 is the best bang for you buck (pun intended) out there.
Robert E. Lee
TAB2you

Post by TAB2you »

Gentlemen,

Indeed they are fine looking knives, and I parted with mine via sending it to Buck for a replacement, they sent me a single lockback folder, I'm much happier with that option. I give Buck kudos for listening to a customer when they want to return something they consider to be bad design. I've come to the conclusion that exposed spey is just not for me. If in older blades it was different, I'd be interested to know why they changed it. Don't get mwe wrong, I still love my other Bucks and find them to be wonderful value and good steel!

300bucks, would you know why they changed the pinning?

OH- your points make good sense. Be careful with that knife in your pocket. When I cut myself, I was usign my rather meaty (read fat) thumb on the sheepsfoot spey blade nail nick, and managed to cut the tip on my thumb with the spey. If I changed to opening it with my index finger and hold the knife just right, I'd not have the problem. I open all my knives though two handed, with right hand holding the knife and left thumb as the opener. I didn't want to change for one knife! ::dang::

Here was mine:
buck1.JPG
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

TAB and I usually only disagree on the size of the knives. I think this is the first knife we've disagreed on. I've tried to catch my finger on the exposed Spey blade, and haven't been able to. But, I have long skinny fingers. That probably makes a difference. Still, I'd prefer to have the blades arranged in a more traditional arrangement myself.

I sharpened it back up today. It didn't take much at all; a few licks on the stone and a litte time on the steel and it was back to shaving.

OH, how's that new one of yours working out?
Robert E. Lee
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

That spey looks too high. I don't think that should have passed inspection. You did what you thought correct and I am glad Buck made you happy. I would of have very carefully honed the kick tip to lower spey tip but I like fooling with that stuff. Kick issues have beem discussed recently on other forums...You do that honing and you should never let blade hit bottom when snapping shut and not let the lowering mess the nic level.. Looking at your photo I am not certain but your liner looks like it dips in the tip area., go figure.........300
TAB2you

Post by TAB2you »

That's the second one of those I got, the first was worse, and that was the replacement, after that, then I asked for a replacement all together! ::tear::

I really like the feel and weight, not the exposed spey. Appears they're all like that as of right now. ::shrug::

TAB
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Been carrying the new Buck 301 all week; so far it has been used for assorted light duty cutting chores and has been stellar in its performance - guess this size/weight are imprinted in my brain as the "right size" pocketknife. I was going to reshape the spey blade tip, but try as I might I haven't been able to catch my finger on the exposed part (sort of tucked under the width of the top of the blade), so at this point I have left it alone. I think Colonel26 is dead-nutz on - this is a worthy successor to the Camillus made Buck 301 knives - which I will always love and accumulate! OH
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Several comments in the past weeks on these spey tips in other fourms also. Looked at a couple three of mine, they are not as high as yours but close. My experience is as you state, haven't been able to get them to catch on anything but lint.
If your happy, your happy. The 303s seem to be made a little lower as a group. 300
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I love my 301 and mine is a 2 Spring model. Great Knife and mine well wore .
Keep Near the Cross.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Exposed spey? I think I know but??
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

TAB2you wrote:Gentlemen,

Indeed they are fine looking knives, and I parted with mine via sending it to Buck for a replacement, they sent me a single lockback folder, I'm much happier with that option. I give Buck kudos for listening to a customer when they want to return something they consider to be bad design. I've come to the conclusion that exposed spey is just not for me. If in older blades it was different, I'd be interested to know why they changed it. Don't get mwe wrong, I still love my other Bucks and find them to be wonderful value and good steel!

300bucks, would you know why they changed the pinning?

OH- your points make good sense. Be careful with that knife in your pocket. When I cut myself, I was usign my rather meaty (read fat) thumb on the sheepsfoot spey blade nail nick, and managed to cut the tip on my thumb with the spey. If I changed to opening it with my index finger and hold the knife just right, I'd not have the problem. I open all my knives though two handed, with right hand holding the knife and left thumb as the opener. I didn't want to change for one knife! ::dang::

Here was mine:buck1.JPG
The kick was too tall that is an easy fix.
Keep Near the Cross.
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Haven't been anywhere to ask such questions of Buck folks. Black sawcut scales are installed in a method that melts some spots of the scale into the liner to hold it on. The shield is actually a pillar of metal attached to the liner and the scale is 'pressed' over the pillar in a "softened form" while at the same time make the sawcut surface. Wood scaled versions are all impregnated resin wood scales and my guess would be glue does not work in adequate manner holding on the scale.

In reality all of the 'factory' processes are about best method to insure acceptable quality and increase production rate while keeping costs low. The Camillus contracts were to a great degree human assembled, using some factory type machines for stamping, pressing, grinding and buffing. Both eras required some human fingers doing some knife making. Modern versions just slightly less so but producing greater numbers.

Spey blades were reshaped at some point to lower the tip when some new blade shaping was introduced. If you get one you think is too high, push down on the spine of the blade and see how much space you have under the spey's edge before it hits the bottom of the blade well. If it is a lot, you can slowly and carefully file or grind the tang toe down to get it to sit lower in the blade well. GO SLOW. You don't want that razor edge hitting the spring and curling it over. But, always FIRST look for buffing material or lint in the corner of the blade well that might keep a tang riding high. You would be surprised how many used knives I have seen that a wad of lint in those corners. Bright light and toothpick will solve that.

300Bucks
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I been carrying my 301 this week. It a great knife. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I picked up a 301 a week ago and am impressed with it.. Yep.. The blades a beefy for sure.. Rides in the RFP very nice and am getting used to the soft snap.. This one is a keeper here for sure.. Now... Where is that yellow saw cut at??? ::super_happy:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”