New Announcement from the The Daniels Family !!!

Tuna Valley Cutlery Co., Excelsior Knife Co., & Napanoch Knife Co. are three popular brands currently controlled by The Daniels family. These are old names that went dormant for years, but have since been brought back to life with modern offerings. This forum is here to discuss & show off knives & related items with brand names under the Daniels Family umbrella.
danielsfamilyknives

New Announcement from the The Daniels Family !!!

Post by danielsfamilyknives »

I would just like to share some great excitement happing to our business with all my friends and family here at AAPK. As of June 4 we are in negoations to purchase Queen Cutlery Co. / Schatt & Morgan where if succesful we will be taking over all operations. Everything is just in negoations and nothing is final yet but once happen I think you'll see lots of new and exciting USA made lines which we have always been committed to.
caddyman1973

Re: New Announcement from the The Daniels Family !!!

Post by caddyman1973 »

Good Luck!!!!!
You be tolerant....
You coexist....
I will do NEITHER!!!!
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Best of luck to you and your family,I hope with this aquisition that you produce more knives that the average blue collar worker can afford ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I hope it happens for you, Ryan! You are turning out some top of the line collector knives in awesome patterns. I think you would do well given the type of knives S&M turns out, and Queen makes both quality collector and user knives. Seems like you can't go wrong, good luck!

-John Knippenberg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

This sounds interesting. ::hmm::
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Ryan, and Ken, that's a brave move!! I hope you are successful, and
I wish you all the best!!
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

I wish you good luck. ::tu::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
danielsfamilyknives

Thank you all for the well wishes. We hope to many things to bring back excitment to this great USA company that has been around for years. I will be sure to bring everyone updates soon. Thanks again
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

With the the Daniels family in control, we will see Queen rise from the ashes.
I am definitely willing to give Queen another try as long as I know that the Daniels are going to be in charge. ::tu::
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

johnny twoshoes wrote:With the the Daniels family in control, we will see Queen rise from the ashes.
I am definitely willing to give Queen another try as long as I know that the Daniels are going to be in charge. ::tu::
Exactly what "ashes" will Queen be rising from? Just curious.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
johnny twoshoes

Well, I should have stated that this was just my own opinion.

I have had a few bad experiences with Queen over the last few years. I know what they used to do and I know what they do now. They've lost a lot of QC and have been sending out some not so great knives.
The main complaint that I have, as do many others, is their edge, it's been problem for years. GEC was the same way for a while, but they stepped it up and got that problem fixed.

A few years ago I was at the Queen show in Titusville, PA. Queen had a great set up and had a lot to offer, but I wanted a show knife.
I asked about purchasing one and I was handed a box and I made my purchase. It wasn't until after the show that I actually looked at my own knife, it had a deep crack going down the one side. I would understand if maybe it was dropped in the move to the show, but the crack was dyed over. That, combined with the fact the the blade does a little dance when it's opened.

I sure hope not to hurt any feelings, but this is all based on my own opinion, experience and comparison to the way things used to be.
Queen has taken a back seat to the other companies, in a big way.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

johnny twoshoes wrote:Well, I should have stated that this was just my own opinion.

I have had a few bad experiences with Queen over the last few years. I know what they used to do and I know what they do now. They've lost a lot of QC and have been sending out some not so great knives.
The main complaint that I have, as do many others, is their edge, it's been problem for years. GEC was the same way for a while, but they stepped it up and got that problem fixed.

A few years ago I was at the Queen show in Titusville, PA. Queen had a great set up and had a lot to offer, but I wanted a show knife.
I asked about purchasing one and I was handed a box and I made my purchase. It wasn't until after the show that I actually looked at my own knife, it had a deep crack going down the one side. I would understand if maybe it was dropped in the move to the show, but the crack was dyed over. That, combined with the fact the the blade does a little dance when it's opened.

I sure hope not to hurt any feelings, but this is all based on my own opinion, experience and comparison to the way things used to be.
Queen has taken a back seat to the other companies, in a big way.
I appreciate your thoughts. Its too bad that Queen has had such QC problems recently. Queen has been my favorite brand for new knives for a number of years, but I do not buy very many of them. I have had good luck with the quality on the aged honey amber stag bone knives in D2 that I have bought, but I agree on the edge grinds. I do like the general level of Queen's quality for the price, and the fact that they make a solid line of users not exclusively the limited production knives aimed at the collector market. However if their quality has been in decline that is bad news. Perhaps the loss of talent to GEC hurt them.

I will say that the area where Queen has been very poor compared to Case and GEC is in customer outreach like keeping their website up to date and responding to complaints about their general QC issues. I have no doubt that the Dainels family can improve that a thousand percent.

I had often mused about Queen being bought out, since Servotronics main business is not cutlery related. My thoughts were that either GEC would buy them to consolidate a lot of production capacity in Titusville, or that maybe Bluegrass Cutlery would buy them due to the long relationship of Queen making knives for Bluegrass.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
johnny twoshoes

I want very much to love Queen knives, my Grandfather has spoken highly of them since I was little. I remember a few Queens knives being around when I was growing up and I have good friends who use them. I just miss the true devotion to excellency. It's a little harsh to say that they are in any kind of ashes, but I can't see them succeeding all that much longer the way business seems to be going.

I love that Queen uses different steels and when the grinds are good, it's hard to beat the D2. I have a folding hunter and the edge was extremely thick, it took a while for a rookie to get the edge right, but now it's a wicked slicer and I could beat it through a brick and still have a great edge.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

johnny twoshoes wrote:I want very much to love Queen knives, my Grandfather has spoken highly of them since I was little. I remember a few Queens knives being around when I was growing up and I have good friends who use them. I just miss the true devotion to excellency. It's a little harsh to say that they are in any kind of ashes, but I can't see them succeeding all that much longer the way business seems to be going.

I love that Queen uses different steels and when the grinds are good, it's hard to beat the D2. I have a folding hunter and the edge was extremely thick, it took a while for a rookie to get the edge right, but now it's a wicked slicer and I could beat it through a brick and still have a great edge.
I must be doing something wrong then. I have used and continue to use a number of Queen D2 knives, but I find the edge holding to be no better than other steels like Case CV and Case SS.

Queen used 440C on their pocketknives from the 1950's through about 1977. These knives seem to have very good edge holding and sharpen relatively easily.
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

The Schatt and Morgans made by Queen I've gotten were good but the two or three general production Queens I've picked up aren't very good at all.
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

The last effort by Queen SXM and the Daniels was a success imo - Tuna Valley Swinguard....mine is as nice as any production
knife that I own.

IM
:)
AAPK #6581
johnny twoshoes

Hmm, I sharpen all my knives with a Lansky system and use a 25 degree angle.

I've had some 1095 carbon steel knives that will cut all day and touch up with ease, then I have some others that are tough as nails to sharpen and loose the edge quickly. I don't understand it, but I guess it's just the nature of the beast.
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

Metal mixes and hardening even with modern technology are not an absolutely exact or perfect science. If you add in the fact that the largest metal supplier in the world Mittal steel is an Indian company the odds go all over the place depending upon what plant the metal comes from. We used to have the same problem with aluminum. It all met the specifications but the specifications all have a high end and a low end.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

danielsfamilyknives wrote:I would just like to share some great excitement happing to our business with all my friends and family here at AAPK. As of June 4 we are in negoations to purchase Queen Cutlery Co. / Schatt & Morgan where if succesful we will be taking over all operations. Everything is just in negoations and nothing is final yet but once happen I think you'll see lots of new and exciting USA made lines which we have always been committed to.

Hope you dont turn it into another TV or GEC with limited high priced knives and no standard production ones!! ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Hope you dont turn it into another TV or GEC with limited high priced knives and no standard production ones!! ::tu:: John :D[/quote]

I agree 1000%
danielsfamilyknives

I just wanted to give everyone alittle update. We havn't closed the deal with Queen yet but we are still in the pursuit. We should know something in the next few weeks. I will update once I know something.
caddyman1973

Post by caddyman1973 »

Good Luck!!!!!!! ::tu:: ::tu::
You be tolerant....
You coexist....
I will do NEITHER!!!!
popedandy

Post by popedandy »

danielsfamilyknives wrote:I just wanted to give everyone alittle update. We havn't closed the deal with Queen yet but we are still in the pursuit. We should know something in the next few weeks. I will update once I know something.
Good luck and thanks for the update!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'm curious to know if transfering ownership has taken place. It's been a few weeks since the original announcement.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
caddyman1973

Post by caddyman1973 »

danielsfamilyknives wrote:I just wanted to give everyone alittle update. We havn't closed the deal with Queen yet but we are still in the pursuit. We should know something in the next few weeks. I will update once I know something.

Ryan posted this Thursday.....
You be tolerant....
You coexist....
I will do NEITHER!!!!

Return to “Daniels Family Knife Brands Forum”