camillus #72

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
dave77

camillus #72

Post by dave77 »

can anybody tell me on the camillus #72 knife some have camillus under lined on the tang an some just have three of the letters under lined is there a difference in the knives
msteele6

Re: camillus #72

Post by msteele6 »

Yes, the partially underlined knives are a little older. Most of the fully underlined knives have composition (delrin?) handles and most of the partially underlined knives have genuine bone.

Please note that I said MOST not ALL. I personally own two of the fully underlined knives with genuine bone handles and I've seen some of the partially underlined ones with composition handles, so, it's not a hard and fast rule, just a guideline.
dave77

Post by dave77 »

i sure thank ya you can always find out what you need to know here thanks again
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Camillus with the short underline is generally considered to made from 1946-1950.
Camillus1946-50.jpg

The Camillus with the long underline is gennerally accepted as being made 1960-1976.
Camillus 1960-1976.jpg

I loves my #72's and have several. Right now, I'm looking for one with bone handles that's in good condition and that I can afford. :lol:

Here are a couple currently in my pile. As Dale (Orvet) often says, "Don't hang your hat on the tang stamp when dating a Camillus knife."

A new in box #72 1989 to when the company closed it's doors.
Camillus 72 - 2.JPG

An excellent condition 100th Anniversary (I've been told) #72
Camillus 72 100th Anniversary Carpenters Whittler Open.JPG

A 1997 Yello-Jaket with a factory error main blade. '22LR6' is stamped on the pile side tang and 'Yello-Jaket' is etched on the mark side of the blade.
Camillus 72 Yellow - 22LR6 - 1997 Open.JPG

A 1992 Coca-Cola advertising #72
Camillus 72 Coke 1992 Open.JPG

A Montgomery Wards Powr-Kraft 84-11 (#72) that now lives in Orvet's pile out in Oregon. Gone but not forgotten.
Power Kraft 84-11 12-24-02.JPG

A #63 Ulster made Sears Craftsman. Same pattern as the #72. (not my picture)
Ulster Sears Craftsman #63 Whittler Open Mark.jpg
Ulster Sears Craftsman #63 Whittler Open Mark.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 22166 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a nice old used but not abused Power Kraft I got the other day.
Attachments
IMG_7788.JPG
IMG_7789.JPG
IMG_7791.JPG
IMG_7792.JPG
IMG_7792.JPG (47.62 KiB) Viewed 22012 times
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Joe -- is there a number on the back of the master blade? The Powr-Kraft version of the #72 is an 84-11 but what you have is the Powr-Kraft version of the Camillus #80 "Deluxe Carpenter's and Whittler's" knife with N/S bolsters, milled liners and handle pins. I have one of those but there is no pattern number on the back of the master blade. Just wondering if yours has it.

Nice grab. Those are pretty rare. Yours and mine are the only two I've seen. Carrmillus may have one. I've not heard him say.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Hi Jerry,
there are no numbers at all on this knife. I didn't know about the particular versions of the knife. It's nice to know it's rare.
Thanks for that.
Being a carpenter it fits me mighty fine.
I also have a short line Camillus in the 72 with bone scales.
Your knives are really nice, Jerry.
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Joe.

The best I can figure out, using catalogs and price lists, Camillus only made the 80 for a few years (less than five). Since your Powr-Kraft was made by Camillus, that makes me believe the Powr-Kraft version was probably not made outside the years the Camillus 80 was made.

Too bad there's no documentation covering the number made for Wards. I'd like to think the Camillus 80 and it's Powr-Kraft sibling numbers were pretty small.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Hey!! I can post my BSA again. This was rehandled in red bone by Dale (Orvet) a couple of years ago.
MVC-095F.JPG
MVC-094F.JPG
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks for posting that again T.J. I don't remember seeing it the first time around. Dale did a very nice job on it (as usual).
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I think that this was the one that "started it all", the appreciation for the 72, that is.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That's sure a good one to get it started.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

tjmurphy wrote:Hey!! I can post my BSA again. This was rehandled in red bone by Dale (Orvet) a couple of years ago.
Dale. It just hit me. As many times as I've seen T.J.s knife I never noticed. Did you use a Shrade Boy Scout shield on that? The only BSA shield I've seen on the Camillus knives are round.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Sorry Jerry, not Dale but, that is the original shield that was on the knife when I sent it to Dale for re-handling. The original handles were composit that were chipped, cracked and broken. I had a pic of the knife before re-handling but lost it when my hard drive crashed. Went back through old posts and found the before pic, not very good but all I got.
Scout Before.jpg
Scout Before.jpg (10.07 KiB) Viewed 21865 times

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks T.J. Always good to learn something. I had never seen that shield on a Camillus. I appreciate your efforts.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I'm a shakin' Boss!! ::tu:: That's a whole new twist to your 72's. Thought you were about done, didn't you?? ::nod::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm beginning to discover there may be no end.

Shakin' it Boss.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote:Joe -- is there a number on the back of the master blade? The Powr-Kraft version of the #72 is an 84-11 but what you have is the Powr-Kraft version of the Camillus #80 "Deluxe Carpenter's and Whittler's" knife with N/S bolsters, milled liners and handle pins. I have one of those but there is no pattern number on the back of the master blade. Just wondering if yours has it.

Nice grab. Those are pretty rare. Yours and mine are the only two I've seen. Carrmillus may have one. I've not heard him say.
...jerry, i don't have one YET!!!............also, i'm pretty sure that short line stamp was used 1946-1950, and most of them are bone handled!!...........
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

This post"as they tend to do" turned me on to what a great knife the 72 is so I had to have one.I cant wait to git it from the mailman but till then the pic's are all I have of her right now.If you have any info for this knife pleas share it with me.I do believe it was a SMKW exclusives from the 1990s but I could be wrong.I has the jigged brown bone handles and came with the box.
Attachments
Camillu733SMKW.JPG
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Gee, thanks knifetime. Now there's another one I didn't know existed. :lol: :lol: This search is never ending.

You're probably right on the dates. That stamp is generally accepted as being used 1989 until they closed in 2007. However, that said, I don't see any evidence of the 72 with the brown Delrin handles after the 2003 catalog. The #5 which was just a 72 with wood handles and brass bolsters was only made 1999-2003 so from 2004 until close the Yello-Jaket was the only Carpenters Whittler made.

Short answer, approximately 1989-2003. You might call Smokey Mountain to see if they have any dates and production totals on that knife. I would be very interested in that information.

Thank you very much for posting it. I'm assuming you got it off eBay. That pictures background looks familiar. I can't imagine you not loving it. As T.J. said and as in my signature, "The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

jerry, the only camillus 72 i have is the same one you show as the 100th anniversary, i don't know if i have any paperwork or box with it, all my boxes are separate from the knives and there are plenty and very displaced. the knife i have is mint, so if there was a box i might have it somewhere.
can you tell me what scales are on that knife, looks like a sort of peachseed bone. and did it come with any box and paperwork? thanks ::tu::
nevermind, i went a-looking and found the brown woodgrain-look paper box and paperwork that the knife came in....stating that it is jigged bone.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Chet -- Even though that's the information I received shortly after I acquired the knife, I've come to the conclusion mine is NOT a 100th anniversary for a couple of reasons.

1.) The 100th anniversary was in 1976 and this knife has an '89-closing tang stamp.
2.) Most of the 100th anniversary knives I've seen have white or cream colored Delrin handles and as you can see, this knife has brown Delrin.
3.) I've never seen a 100th anniversary knife with ducks engraved on the blade.

Even though the knife is "new out of the factory" condition, no box or paperwork came with it. Since it has ducks on the blade, I've often wondered if there might be a Ducks Unlimited connection.

I sure wish you could easily find the box & paperwork for yours. It might clear up what has become a big mystery for me. Of course when you have a gazillion knives like you do, finding one little box sounds almost impossible. Hey! New project for you this winter. Organize your boxes. Doesn't that sound exciting? :lol: :lol:

Edit: 100th anniversary Stockman for reference.
Attachments
100thAnvLargeStockman.jpg
100thAnvLargeStockman.jpg (21.67 KiB) Viewed 8369 times
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Thank you Jerry.Just a update the knife I have has brown bone handles you cant tell for the bad pics.I will give SMKW a call and post any new info I git on the knife "good idea"As you said it came from eBay.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knifetime -- If those handles are bone it would make that the first 72 made with bone handles since sometime in the 1950s (maybe 1940s). SMKW doesn't usually go to any extra added expense. I'm just sayin'... it's difficult to tell the difference sometimes.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

What Jerry said ::nod::

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”