D. Peres Solingen Germany Lock Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
madxcat

D. Peres Solingen Germany Lock Knife

Post by madxcat »

Hello everyone this is my first post here, I love the site I find a lot of great information all the time!

I picked this knife up today at an estate sale and I was wondering if any experts here may have some more information on the age and maybe value.

From the research I have done Peter Daniel Peres starting making knives at the age of 16 in 1796, and apparently created Solingen's first water-powered pocket-knife factory in Weinsberger valley in 1801.

I have seen some auctions and post around the web with some of his knives, but most are all novelty knives of different animals or cities.

This knife is in beautiful condition and has an unusual locking system, that requires you to lift a latch and depress it to open the blade, then push the latch down again to the original position to lock the blade in place. All done again to close the blade.

Below are pictures. it has the mark D. PERES Solingen on the tang, the opposite side has a barrel with a cross or spout on the top, and the word INOX. The blade is in great shape with a little wear but it does not look like its been sharpened.

Measures: 4 1/4" closed and 7 1/8" open

If anyone has any more information please let me know! Thanks!

Matt
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: D. Peres Solingen Germany Lock Knife

Post by jonet143 »

welcome matt! nice knife. being stainless, i would guess post 1930. don't know much about the company other than what you already know.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Since jonet143 didn't explain it and you didn't say, maybe you don't know the word INOX is an abbreviation for the French word Inoxydable which translates to the English - stainless-steel
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

::welcome:: Matt,

That is one very cool old knife you have. I like it! ::tu::

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
madxcat

Post by madxcat »

Thanks for the info guys! I did not know that about the INOX. I'm slowly learning as I go :)
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

i think your knife was a switch blade originally. springs broken or removed.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Welcome, Matt!
I agree that the knife was most likely a switchblade, originally. If so, restoration might be a possibility. As it is similar to other German automatics, an activation spring from one of those other manufacturers might work in your knife.
Has anyone ever seen that mechanism on anything other than an automatic?
Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
SilverBackLeprechaun

Post by SilverBackLeprechaun »

I'm brand new to this site and to "collectable" knives. The only thing I have is age and being around long enough to see a few things.

While no 'expert' in knives, I agree that is a mechanism I have see only on switchblades over the years.
Old Dog Learning New Tricks
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Here's a little history about Peres.

I have read that Soligen cutlers of long ago, were organized into guilds, and only the "privileged" were allowed to belong to the guilds.

Peter Daniel Peres actually started out as a merchant & had his own cutlery trading business in 1792. He soon realized that nothing being made in Soligen could compare to the English cutlery.

Peres didn't belong to any guild and he applied to Duke Maximilian for permission to be the first to manufacture "fine pen knives" in Soligen in 1805. He argued that no such thing was being made there & therefore the guild rules banning competition did not apply. He was granted permission & soon opened a factory.

Bret888 & I have a Peres lockback that I love. The blade is a little short & has been reprofiled at one point, but it was a great flea market find for us. It has a different locking mechanism than yours but I thought you might like to see it.

Magnetic Cutlery Co, Phila, PA was an importer for Peres. It is stamped with the Peres barrel & made in Germany.

"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very nice old knife! ::tu:: ::drool:: ::drool::
AAPK Janitor
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Has anyone ever seen that mechanism on anything other than an automatic?
Charlie Noyes
Here's one that isn't a switchblade Charlie.By the way the knife pictured appears to be sort of a generic version of a German Springer that was stamped with the names of many manufacturers.I think it may be more recent(maybe 1950's)but still a nice knife.

The knife I posted is made by Hubertus(or stamped that anyway)and again is sort of a generic German pattern.
Attachments
HubertusFolder1.JPG
HubertusFolder1.JPG (47.12 KiB) Viewed 8890 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
winchester907

Post by winchester907 »

I CAN SHOW YOU ONE I PICKED UP AT AN ESTATE SALE IF THAT WILL HELP. IT IS ABOUT 5 INCHES LONG CLOSED. THE ONLY WRITING ON THE TANG IS ROSTFREI ( STAINLESS). ITS MORE LIKE A LOCK BACK. PUSH TO OPEN AND PUSH TO CLOSE. IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE SPRING LOADED BUT JUST A RELEASE.
Attachments
001.JPG
Desktop

Post by Desktop »

winchester907 wrote:I CAN SHOW YOU ONE I PICKED UP AT AN ESTATE SALE IF THAT WILL HELP. IT IS ABOUT 5 INCHES LONG CLOSED. THE ONLY WRITING ON THE TANG IS ROSTFREI ( STAINLESS). ITS MORE LIKE A LOCK BACK. PUSH TO OPEN AND PUSH TO CLOSE. IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE SPRING LOADED BUT JUST A RELEASE.
It's a leverlock auto, Italian it seems.
The spring either fell out or is broken inside the channel.
:?

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”