serial number vrs. collectability

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
cbnutt

serial number vrs. collectability

Post by cbnutt »

do you think in the future it will drasticly affect the value of the GEC.s if you have a knife that dosent have a serial num. ? on most sites i noticed there just a few dollars more with it, i know that would be a little more valueable to a collector but will it make a great differance in the future in your opinioun ?
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
johnny twoshoes

Re: serial number vrs. collectability

Post by johnny twoshoes »

I don't think so, if you take a look at the yearly production they always seem to make less unserialized knives.
IMO I find a 1 of 3 unserialized more collectable then 1 of 250 serialized.

This is all just my opinion and holds no solid ground. ::tu::
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

yea i would think it woudlnt hurt it badly as there still the same great knife, o by the way, i got one of the new traditional trappers in cocobolo wood from " docs knifes" i was talking with him on the phone, and mentioned i had a few 70,s dots case stockmans, and he wanted one, so we just mailed the knifes out to each other, its a great knife, ill have to try and get a pic if i can. ::tu::
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

I can make a serialized knife an unserialized knife in about 2 minutes. Don't have the equipment, COA's, etc. to make an unserialized one serialized. In 2006/2007 there were some short run unserialized if you could get a distributors invoice with the purchase. These days calling 3 unserialized on top of a 50 knife serialized run is pushing it a little in my opinion.

Having said all that, serial numbers are attractive to many collectors. But I think they should be a flat $5 or $7 more instead of getting more expensive the higher the knife price goes.
Mike Latham, CollectorKnives
Great Eastern Cutlery | Case Knives | Arno Bernard Knives | Early Reserve
Low Price & Satisfaction Guaranteed
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

In 2009 GEC made 50 yellow rose improved muskrats, all serialized, they went on to make only 1 unserialized yellow rose improved muskrat.
I understand that you could take the serial off number, but assuming someone didn't, wouldn't the 1 of 1 be more collectable then 1 of 50? ::shrug::

CB,
8) glad you finally took the plunge, hope it's everything you were wanting, I'd love to see the knife when ya get a pic. ::tu::
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

Also, don't forget that there will be "Store" models sold without serial numbers that have a tiny script "S" on one of the tang stamps (almost unnoticeable). They are sold as EDC's out of the store and from certain distributors.

But again, as long as you are not paying more for it, and you don't care for a serial number, how can you go wrong?
Mike Latham, CollectorKnives
Great Eastern Cutlery | Case Knives | Arno Bernard Knives | Early Reserve
Low Price & Satisfaction Guaranteed

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”