Not so great repair to my Case XX fishing knife :-(

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Not so great repair to my Case XX fishing knife :-(

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Not so great repair to my Case XX fishing knife (1920-40 date tang stamp). The scales had shrunk down and I tried to fill one side in first, then I would do the other side. I used a 2-part epoxy mixed with some paint I tried to match but the color ended up off from the color of the scales. The epoxy ended up too lumpy to look smooth. :x :oops: I left the back side alone for now pending other options. Should I have left it alone? ::shrug::
Attachments
DSCF2488.JPG
DSCF2489.JPG
DSCF2490.JPG
DSCF2493.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Not so great repair to my Case XX fishing knife :-(

Post by Desert Golfer »

It`s a start. Now get your sandpaper out and make it smooth. Polish the bolster after you finish the scale and let's see it then. Mike :)
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I too have tried adding acrylic paint to color epoxy and had it get lumpy and granular. Must be some chemical incompatibility. Probably need to replace those scales.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:14 am I too have tried adding acrylic paint to color epoxy and had it get lumpy and granular. Must be some chemical incompatibility. Probably need to replace those scales.
I agree with O.C. New scales would definitely be the best bet. Here are pics of a couple of similar knives that I redid in yellow composite some time ago. I got this material from Kaleb's store (aka Muskratman). I don't know if he still has any left.
Attachments
DSCN9167.JPG
DSCN9168.JPG
DSCN9169.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Stag always looks good on a fishing knife. This is a KA-BAR that I redid a while back.
20230524_075702.jpg
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Desert Golfer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:03 am It`s a start. Now getlour sandpaper out and make it smooth. Polish the bolster after you finish the scale and let's see it then. Mike :)
Agree 100 %. Make it very smooth and buff if necessary. Get the bolster
to shine. The knife will look fine.

If you are in inclined, put some new handles on it later.

Bob
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:01 pm Stag always looks good on a fishing knife. This is a KA-BAR that I redid a while back.
20230524_075702.jpg
Wow ! that turned out beautifully done! ::tu::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

rea1eye wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:46 pm
Desert Golfer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:03 am It`s a start. Now getlour sandpaper out and make it smooth. Polish the bolster after you finish the scale and let's see it then. Mike :)
Agree 100 %. Make it very smooth and buff if necessary. Get the bolster
to shine. The knife will look fine.

If you are in inclined, put some new handles on it later.

Bob
Thanks for the advice Bob ::handshake::

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

herbva wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:53 am
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:14 am I too have tried adding acrylic paint to color epoxy and had it get lumpy and granular. Must be some chemical incompatibility. Probably need to replace those scales.
I agree with O.C. New scales would definitely be the best bet. Here are pics of a couple of similar knives that I redid in yellow composite some time ago. I got this material from Kaleb's store (aka Muskratman). I don't know if he still has any left.
Looks great!! ::nod:: I'll look at Kaleb's store (aka Muskratman) Thanks ::handshake::

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Instead of paint, add epoxy and wood dust or bone dust or whatever dust matches your color. Use a belt sander to create the dust. It's an old luthier's trick for filling fingerboard dents on guitars and banjos. If done properly it is invisible. O'.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:28 pm Instead of paint, add epoxy and wood dust or bone dust or whatever dust matches your color. Use a belt sander to create the dust. It's an old luthier's trick for filling fingerboard dents on guitars and banjos. If done properly it is invisible. O'.
That's a good idea thanks! ::handshake:: I have tried something like this before, with coffee grounds and it worked nicely. It just seems like the coffee grounds are all the same color... ::hmm:: so, wood dust or bone dust should do the trick... :)

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Should have mentioned, use a good mask or respirator when creating the dust. Bone and some woods can be irritating to respiratory tissue.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”