Is this western states legitimate?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Thomasg

Is this western states legitimate?

Post by Thomasg »

B256E506-CF92-46E0-A457-D9375685A090.jpeg
D95AD95B-9634-48AB-9182-319902EF8961.jpeg
99A8F582-6514-42A5-BD42-CFDEB606EF1D.jpeg
2CB23884-3976-47CC-93BD-4E68FA403BEB.jpeg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this western states legitimate?

Post by btrwtr »

No. I answered this in another thread. Frame and handles are okay but blades have been welded to original tangs. The spear blade in that pattern is quite unusual. The wear on the tangs and original stamps does not match the condition of the blades. Blades in a knife with that much wear on the tangs could not remain so full after cleaning. Also note the weld porosity visible in the 3rd picture.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Thank you . Would the weld porosity indicate that the spear blade was poorly forged ? Cheap replacement? I have 23 western states knifes , 28 western bolder Colorado knifes . Some of the blades are well worn from use and I see no visible weld porosity . That is if If I am understanding ( weld porosity) correctly ? Although a few of my knifes have some pitting from aging .Also in the knife makers who went west I have not found an example of a spear blade in a pattern matching the build and frame ..Not surprising .I have a whittler from the same eBay seller with a blade that can not be matched to the original pattern and build .some of the Members on the all about pocket knifes board have nicknamed the eBay seller sporty .when sporty is entered into the search feature many questionable knifes show up .
dsutton24

Post by dsutton24 »

Weld porosity comes from poor welding. If you've got old carbon steel knives you've seen the usual pitting that happens. It doesn't look anything like that blade.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

dsutton24 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:06 pm Weld porosity comes from poor welding. If you've got old carbon steel knives you've seen the usual pitting that happens. It doesn't look anything like that blade.
So the imperfections seen on the blade above the tang stamp are from the blade being poorly welded to the tang and machined down showing defects ? Thanks.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Thomasg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:04 am
dsutton24 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:06 pm Weld porosity comes from poor welding. If you've got old carbon steel knives you've seen the usual pitting that happens. It doesn't look anything like that blade.
So the imperfections seen on the blade above the tang stamp are from the blade being poorly welded to the tang and machined down showing defects ? Thanks.
I revisited the case xx post that I put the OP. Knife on by accident .all my questions have been answered expect for one . I just can’t wrap my mind around why some one would Dr up a knife that has such little resale value ? ??
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Thomasg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:00 am
Thomasg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:04 am
I revisited the case xx post that I put the OP. Knife on by accident .all my questions have been answered expect for one . I just can’t wrap my mind around why some one would Dr up a knife that has such little resale value ? ??
I don't think the knife has much resale value since it has been drastically altered from original. To a perspective buyer that thinks the knife is legitimate the value could be remarkably more. Knives like this are often altered to decieve the unsuspecting.

Wayne

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

This is the feedback that sportscolbs recieved for this welded blade fake that he described as near mint.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
When less than educated buyers purchase such terrible fakes and are so pleased with the transaction it is easy to undersatnd why so many less then honest eBay knife sellers have 100% positive feedback.

Wayne

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

btrwtr wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:26 pm This is the feedback that sportscolbs recieved for this welded blade fake that he described as near mint.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
When less than educated buyers purchase such terrible fakes and are so pleased with the transaction it is easy to undersatnd why so many less then honest eBay knife sellers have 100% positive feedback.
More evidence eBay’s seller ratings are meaningless, and that a no questions asked return/full refund policy is meaningless also. Those who know don’t bid. Those who blissfully don’t know aren’t going to request a refund.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”