Another Interesting One

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
RedBone6318

Another Interesting One

Post by RedBone6318 »

Supposed xx era 62048. Frame looks like a correct 048 frame to me but incorrect shield for what looks to be delrin handles. Delrin handles also make it not an XX era. The master blade definitely not the right blade and probably not even a Case blade. Tang stamp is obviously restamped very, very poorly. Seller does disclose in the description that it does not look right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224513296980?m ... media=COPY
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Another Interesting One

Post by btrwtr »

Only thing I see wrong is the master blade is completely cobbled. Shield is correct for an early 70's delrin handle which I believe this knife is. Not a XX knife and not bone handles as the sale states.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RedBone6318

Post by RedBone6318 »

You may be correct on that. I was basing it off of comparisons to my xx era 048s which have a slimmer master blade. I see now that later ones had a blade similar to this one. As far as the shield, I thought the delrin shields didnt have the oval around the letters?
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like it was ground and double cold stamped to me. ::mdm:: ::barf::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

RedBone6318 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:39 pm You may be correct on that. I was basing it off of comparisons to my xx era 048s which have a slimmer master blade. I see now that later ones had a blade similar to this one. As far as the shield, I thought the delrin shields didnt have the oval around the letters?
Delrin handles from the USA era til 1973-74 will have the oval around CASE on the shield. Case started the "Delrin" shields in '74 so there are some made each way in 73-74.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

That restamp has to be the worst ever. Looks like an F and an L were used to make the E.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I don't know how the ebayer expects to get $109 out of that knife. Maybe for
parts? If it were free, I might pay the postage. :D

Bob
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That stamp is horrendous. ::barf::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

The nail nick looks like it was made with a dremel tool. Perhaps it was just enlarged by one, or perhaps this blade was handmade.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”