Has anyone talked to Roland

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Has anyone talked to Roland

Post by JamieinWV »

Most forum members come into general knife discussion section ever few days….I was talking with Roland through emails as of July 7 and at the time he mentioned he was going to Calvary to see family including all his grandchildren. He was extremely excited, but I’ve not heard from him since, I know what the situation he was in with his health, but was wondering if anyone has any information beyond July 7.
Jamie
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
tongueriver

Re: Has anyone talked to Roland

Post by tongueriver »

I corresponded with him by email about the middle of July. He said that he was too weak to respond further.
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

He posted in an eBay thread on the 10th, nothing since then.. :(
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:42 pm He posted in an eBay thread on the 10th, nothing since then.. :(
Thanks guys
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

If he's not participating on the forum and wouldn't respond to a PM perhaps a short concise email requesting an update on his current health is in order Jamie. That's a month he hasn't logged-in here, and about 3 weeks since anyone communicated with him, so it doesn't seem too good. Sending prayers Roland's way. ::pray:: 8)
8)
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:44 pm If he's not participating on the forum and wouldn't respond to a PM perhaps a short concise email requesting an update on his current health is in order Jamie. That's a month he hasn't logged-in here, and about 3 weeks since anyone communicated with him, so it doesn't seem too good. Sending prayers Roland's way. ::pray:: 8)
I’m sure others have it too, he gave me his cell number and we talked through text’s also…but I left a message that way too. With no response.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hmm. ::hmm:: 8)
8)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

This was the latest update that I know of.

Re: ROLAND UPDATE
Post by Quick Steel » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:22 pm

I just heard from Roland a few minutes ago. He is in a lot of pain and in decline. He is hoping it will all end soon. Kindly continue to support him with your prayers.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:04 pm This was the latest update that I know of.

Re: ROLAND UPDATE
Post by Quick Steel » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:22 pm

I just heard from Roland a few minutes ago. He is in a lot of pain and in decline. He is hoping it will all end soon. Kindly continue to support him with your prayers.
I’m so sorry to hear that, he mentioned to me he hoped it would just take him in his sleep while he still was having some good days.
TritonJ

Post by TritonJ »

Thanks for the updates. I was thinking about him the other day.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

This is sad, but not unexpected.

Roland is dealing with one of the worst cancers there is.

Overall life expectancy from diagnosis to demise is about six months, regardless of therapy or intervention.

God Bless him and his family.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:10 pm This is sad, but not unexpected.

Overall life expectancy from diagnosis to demise is about six months, regardless of therapy or intervention.

Amen.... ::pray::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
ea42

Post by ea42 »

'Ol Roland has been a wonderful internet friend since we first crossed paths around 2006 as a couple of guys who had a keen interest in Schrade knives. These last few years he's been especially prominent in AAPK and I think of him now every time I log on. It's so heart wrenching thinking of what he's going through.

Eric
TPK

Post by TPK »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:10 pm This is sad, but not unexpected.

Amen... ::pray::

Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

ea42 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:06 pm 'Ol Roland has been a wonderful internet friend since we first crossed paths around 2006 as a couple of guys who had a keen interest in Schrade knives. These last few years he's been especially prominent in AAPK and I think of him now every time I log on. It's so heart wrenching thinking of what he's going through.

Eric
Well said. I had plans to visit Doug Webber in Spokane and then north to Nelson but it never played out in time. :(
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

It makes me sad and emotional to hear this about Roland. I've only known him through his writings and posts here on AAPK, but I feel as though he's been a Friend all my life. I pray for his wellbeing, peace and comfort during this time, and for his family and loved ones.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

KLJ77 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:20 pm It makes me sad and emotional to hear this about Roland. I've only known him through his writings and posts here on AAPK, but I feel as though he's been a Friend all my life. I pray for his wellbeing, peace and comfort during this time, and for his family and loved ones.
I could not have said it any better Ken, cancer sucks ::td::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

This is awful news. Keeping Roland in my thoughts.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Roland is one of the good guys here at AAPK. Always willing to help whenever he can. You are in my thoughts as well Roland.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

There's an ebb and flow to knife collecting, and even though I think Roland was at a point where he was downsizing his collection, he seemed to be still enjoying the back and forth of the forum, and helping others.

Roland, even if you can't see this, know that you are appreciated for your contributions to the hobby and this forum.

This whole thing is very sad, I don't really have the words...
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I had the good fortune of being able to visit Roland in his home on two occasions. Once a few years ago before he started selling his collection. He showed me some amazing knives at that time. I had a brief visit with him in early June of this year, at which time I purchased a few knives. I am sorry that I did not get to know him better.
The last communication I have had with him was a reply email on July 23. It was brief and stated basically what he emailed to David on July 30.
Dan
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Very sad indeed. I pray for Roland and his family. I hate Cancer.
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

Truly a kind and generous soul, and a wealth of knowledge. I barely got the opportunity to know the man :(
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I am very sorry to hear this news. I bought a few knives from Roland as he was selling some of his collection and it was a pleasure to deal with him. I am also sorry that I did not get to know him better. I could see in his post that he has been a valuable member of the AAPK community. I lost my father and grandfather to cancer and those were some of the most difficult times in my life. My prayers go out for him and his family.
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Roland just responded to my email. It is hard for him to reply. He feels quite sick all the time and gets confused. He said he really appreciates all his friends at AAPK.
I would ask you to keep praying for him. Our Father in heaven hears our prayers. He doesn’t always answer the way we would like, but He is always there to provide the grace we need to get through whatever we are facing and I know He will provide Roland that same grace.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”