Case XX 5220 10 dot question.

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
DMLEATH

Case XX 5220 10 dot question.

Post by DMLEATH »

Good evening! On this Case knife the handles look very different from one side to the other. The front almost looks like bone and the back is definitely stag and the 5220 indicates stag. The front seems to be different colored than the back and I was trying to figure out why. If it sat in a display case would that change the color? Thanks for any input!
Attachments
C6A9497C-BFF3-48A5-B9F2-318299B5120C.jpeg
CE609339-385D-4295-8B08-0C9AFEF365D4.jpeg
90C7A75E-F6B7-4E6B-A481-961085B11269.jpeg
51B0193E-B8D9-4DFF-B88E-994270137BD3.jpeg
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Case XX 5220 10 dot question.

Post by Reverand »

It is hard to tell in detail from pictures, but both handles look like stag to me. Stag can vary greatly in appearance from one piece to the next, and with both pieces being hafted down so far (Case does that often), it makes them look very different.
By the way, sunlight will definitely fade most materials. UV light from fluorescent lights will also fade many materials, though not as badly.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Both sides are stag. Case typically makes no attempt to match appearance of stag on both sides of a knife. It’s pretty much random what pieces go on each side, so it’s not unusual for the two sides to be different. Another factor is that stag is a natural material that varies in appearance from one piece to another, even pieces from the same antler may look vastly different. Then at the hafting each piece may react differently - stag (and bone) density can vary from piece to piece, so the colors may come out looking different from side to side. Some stag is torched to bring out more color - again with the possibility of stag on one side reacting differently than the other side.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
DMLEATH

Post by DMLEATH »

Thanks for that explanation! I really appreciate the help I have received here.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Another factor that I have noticed concerning the stag handled knives is that the more rugged side is usually on the pile side. Just my observation but it is surely easier to inlet a shield on a less rugged side, a less pronounced stag pattern if you will.
My 5172 4 dot (1976) show this thought:
Rugged stag on pile side.
Rugged stag on pile side.
A smoother or "calmer" stag on the mark side, easier to set the shield.
A smoother or "calmer" stag on the mark side, easier to set the shield.
Does this hold water with any Case Stag aficionados?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I have worked with a lot of stag and antler. It never looks the same on both sides, if it did, I would say it's probably man made material. That's why I like it! got character. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Case would put the smoother side on front for a simple reason - they had to install the shield on that side. So the more rutted pieces would be on the pile side.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”