C. Friedrich Shell Puller knife marking ERN Solingen Germany on front of blade an a crown and sword on the back

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Daniel Diller

C. Friedrich Shell Puller knife marking ERN Solingen Germany on front of blade an a crown and sword on the back

Post by Daniel Diller »

Info please on this C.Friedrich knife. ERN Solingen Germany on front tang Crown and Sword on rear of tang. I would like the time it was made and value. I've looked it up online and can not find any info. Thank you.
Attachments
20210128_192735.jpg
20210128_192745.jpg
20210128_192804.jpg
20220523_215922.jpg
20220523_192405.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: C. Friedrich Shell Puller knife marking ERN Solingen Germany on front of blade an a crown and sword on the back

Post by kootenay joe »

Is it an auto ?
If so i think the value could be around $200, although this is just a guess on my part.
kj
Daniel Diller

Re: C. Friedrich Shell Puller knife marking ERN Solingen Germany on front of blade an a crown and sword on the back

Post by Daniel Diller »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:40 am Is it an auto ?
If so i think the value could be around $200, although this is just a guess on my part.
kj
Yes it's a auto.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Daniel Diller wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:42 am
kootenay joe wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:40 am Is it an auto ?
kj
Yes it's a auto.
I do not collect these 'Springer' type knives but i know the German made ones are highly valued by those who do collect them.
It would be best to hear from someone who does collect these as to value. My guess of $200 might be too low ?
kj
Daniel Diller

Post by Daniel Diller »

Ok thank you for the info I appreciate it.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Company was in business from 1874-1926 so it's at least 96 years old. What gauge is stamped on the puller? 16? Nice piece. ::tu:: J.O'.
Daniel Diller

Post by Daniel Diller »

The gage is 16 and 12. Thank you for the info. That's what I came up with from what I could find I just was shocked if it was that Old. Thank you again.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Carl Friedrich Ern was born in 1850 and died in 1924 but the company continued to manufacture razors and knives under the direction of C. F. Ern, The Younger and Richard, Otto & Fritz Ern. (Carter, pg. 190). The Crown & Scimitar was a trademark they continued to use until well after WW II. Trademarks were cancelled in 1998 so by then they were no longer in business.
The OP knife was likely made after WW II as i think the blade is stainless steel.
kj
Daniel Diller

Post by Daniel Diller »

Thank you for the info. I wish I could find something online about it. I've searched everyway I can think with no luck. I sure do appreciate all the help I've gotten.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Daniel Diller wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:20 pm Thank you for the info. I wish I could find something online about it. I've searched everyway I can think with no luck. I sure do appreciate all the help I've gotten.
If you join BladeForums.com there is a member "Germania" who lives in Germany and knows a great deal of the history of German cutlery. He could give you specific and correct answers. If you do contact him please post back here with what he says so we all can learn.
kj
Daniel Diller

Post by Daniel Diller »

Yeah I'll check in to it. It may take a few days. But I will get back ok. Thank you.
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

Why are these type knives called "shell pullers"? I have shot single barrel and double barrel shot guns for most of my life and have never seen one that would require a "shell puller".
Daniel Diller

Post by Daniel Diller »

Back in in the day shotguns had paper shell's. The paper shells would expand so it would not eject. This knife was made to help extract the shells
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

I've shot a lot of paper shotgun cartridges and never had one that didn't extract or eject. Could be that the European shells were different. Did any American company make a "shell puller" knife?

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”