eBay question and general rant

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Maddogfl

eBay question and general rant

Post by Maddogfl »

I presume that most people here have at one time or another bought an eBay auction knife. My question is, "Is is just me, or have sellers started slacking about shipping times?" Three times recently, I have waited until the last day of expected delivery then contacted the seller asking for a tracking number. I get excuses and promises and then three or four days later they will ship it. "I forgot" "I have been out of town" "It has been hectic around here" so forth and so own...

A few months ago, I bought a gun part from a fellow. (it sold for about half the going value) He just couldn't seem to get around to shipping it, so a day or two after the last expected delivery date, I opened an eBay case. A week or so later, he printed a shipping label, but still did not give it to the Post Office. Nearly a month after the close of the auction, I requested a refund from eBay, which they promptly granted. The next thing I know I am getting cussed out, in an email, by the fellow, (who had subsequently mailed the part) calling me a scammer and a thief. His language reminded me of my Navy days. Then, a day or two later, he messaged me asking me to pay him for the thing. I replied that he had a lot of nerve, after several emails accusing me of scamming him, and cussing me as a thief, that I wasn't about to send him a damn dime, but that since I was an honorable man, and did not care to use the shotgun choke that had caused me so much drama, that I was going to just toss it in the trash. I suggested that he should accept it as a cheap life lesson. (And, yes, I tossed it out)

My wife tells me that that kind of attitude and irresponsibility can be attributed as a probably "Gen Z" thing. If there is a whole generation of those future leaders coming down the path, I am glad I will be gone before they get here. ;)
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: eBay question and general rant

Post by herbva »

Maddog, in response to your first question, my answer is absolutely yes! What I have started doing is politely asking for the tracking number 3 days after the auction ends. That usually lights a fire under them. I have only had to open a case for non-shipment with ebay one time in recent years. And, that guy promptly issued a refund with no explanation. I suspect that the auction bidding didn't go high enough for him. :x
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

herbva wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:16 pm Maddog, in response to your first question, my answer is absolutely yes! What I have started doing is politely asking for the tracking number 3 days after the auction ends. That usually lights a fire under them. I have only had to open a case for non-shipment with ebay one time in recent years. And, that guy promptly issued a refund with no explanation. I suspect that the auction bidding didn't go high enough for him. :x
That is exactly my thoughts as well. This old Baby Boomer would lose money on an eBay auction and treat the winner like a valued customer. It is not his fault that I listed it too cheaply...
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Maddogfl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:24 pm
herbva wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:16 pm Maddog, in response to your first question, my answer is absolutely yes! What I have started doing is politely asking for the tracking number 3 days after the auction ends. That usually lights a fire under them. I have only had to open a case for non-shipment with ebay one time in recent years. And, that guy promptly issued a refund with no explanation. I suspect that the auction bidding didn't go high enough for him. :x
That is exactly my thoughts as well. This old Baby Boomer would lose money on an eBay auction and treat the winner like a valued customer. It is not his fault that I listed it too cheaply...
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

Being a “Gen. X-er”(and shy of being 50 by a few months), I can say, I have not had a bad experience yet with eBay sellers, and if I Happen to sell an item, I make sure it is shipped the next business day.
I do agree with you all, any seller should be prompt and have common courtesy. As a paying customer, I expect quality service and I should do the same for others.
Now, where I have had issues is with Chinese importers on places like Amazon, I once ordered an item on Amazon, (string lights for back porch), forgot I ordered them, went to a local store several weeks later and bought lights and mounted them. 8 MONTHS later they showed up. I was like ,”What the Heck are these!?! And why did my wife order them!?” Silly me…… ::dang:: :shock: ::undecided::
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Maddog, yes some sellers take a while to send. What peeves me is that ebay allows sellers to print a label only and ebay sends you an "item shipped" notice although the item hasn't shipped. Whining about ebay does no good, many auction houses are also tardy in shipping out sold items, ebay is still one of the better places to find and buy things online. Regarding your particular problem, a gentleman would have sent payment upon receiving the item, tossing it is childish. Always better to take the high road rather than stooping to a lower level as you have.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

The thing is that most people selling on Ebay are just everyday people with their own lives and problems going on You never really know what the seller is dealing with. I used to sell on Ebay and prided myself on my service and fast shipping but not everyone makes that a priority. It is aggravating sometimes. I recently had to gently remind an Ebay seller who is a well known member here to mail me my knife after 4 or 5 days. He never apologized and I don't buy from him any more. No big deal.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Gunsil wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:29 pm Maddog, yes some sellers take a while to send. What peeves me is that ebay allows sellers to print a label only and ebay sends you an "item shipped" notice although the item hasn't shipped. Whining about ebay does no good, many auction houses are also tardy in shipping out sold items, ebay is still one of the better places to find and buy things online. Regarding your particular problem, a gentleman would have sent payment upon receiving the item, tossing it is childish. Always better to take the high road rather than stooping to a lower level as you have.
I have never laid claim to being a gentleman. Nor will I be the subject of abuse without reprisal; it may have something to do with the Viking in my genes. I satisfied my sense of honor and duty, and that is what matters. If I had sent the man his money, he would have learned that it is OK to be abusive to people to get your way. He should thank me for the $25.00 lesson, although I doubt it will have taken.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I generally give folks a week to ship before I send any kind of shipping reminder. I know life can get in the way, or jobs for that matter. With that being said I've only had to send one such reminder to seller, and I buy quite a bit on Ebay. That particular transaction was about twelve days old when I questioned whether it was shipped or not. Got an almost immediate reply and apology. Seems she had completely forgotten about it. It was in the mail the next day via Priority Mail and arrived two days later so no problem in my book. I don't think I'd open a case unless all other avenues were exhausted.

Maddog it sounds like your seller was pretty irresponsible to wait THAT long. There's no excuse to make someone wait a month for something they paid for in good faith.

Eric
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

To the best of my knowledge, eBay requires sellers to indicate their shipping time frame. For example, “We usually ship within 3 business days”.

It’s my opinion that if they can’t abide by that, then they should message the buyer and let them know. It only takes a minute or two to send such a message.

And if they can’t remember to ship the item then don’t list it in the first place.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I've had a couple of similar ebay experiences Maddog, but since all shipping was slowed way down due to covid and my usual Customs issues I was happy just to eventually get my knives. On both of those occasions the knives were coming from overseas, Spain and France and knowing I was dealing with foreign post offices that are likely not up to par with our service I remained patient. After a very reasonable amount of time I got ebay involved and was issued full refunds for both knives. Then of course both packages arrived, it took a couple of months but they did get to me. At that point I investigated each instance and realized the sellers were not at fault and reissued the payments. Neither instance had anything to do with the seller slacking off, but rather with their postal services. Sure I could have simply kept the knives and gone on my merry way, but knowing I'd be going to bed that night with no one but me and my conscience it was a no brainer for me to pay for the knives. I would much prefer to be out some money that I had already earmarked for those knives anyway, than to have to walk around knowing I'm not an honest individual. After receiving payment one of the 2 sellers was so impressed with my honesty he told me to contact him prior to anymore purchases for a juicy discount. My conscience has been pretty reliable in the past, so I find no reason to change now. You gotta do what YOU feel is right! 8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:36 am It’s my opinion that if they can’t abide by that, then they should message the buyer and let them know. It only takes a minute or two to send such a message.
Agreed. Sellers should endeavor to ship quickly, especially when a buyer pays quickly. If life gets in the way, I feel that keeping the buyer in the loop is a basic courtesy.

As an aside, when USPS was really underperforming in 2020, I had an individual buy one of my eBay items. USPS was in possession of it about three hours after he paid, and I promptly added the tracking information. It took a detour in the wrong direction, and finally made its way to the intended recipient. He had the gall to leave me neutral feedback: "Did not arrive in time, however not his fault." He will never purchase anything from me again.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I have had experiences similar to what was stated. Often the buyer gets a email
saying the item was shipped where in actuality only a label was created. Sometimes
it had taken about a week for the item to eventually get to the post office where
the seller lives. I have to admit after seeing thru the tracking system the item gets to
the post office the item goes across the U.S usually very quickly. Sometimes however,
an item stays in the seller’s post office for several days!

Between the unusual activity of the seller and the post office bins buying on eBay
is definitely crazy. Unfortunately most of the knives I have purchased in the
last 3 years are from eBay.

Now that Covid is less prevalent maybe my buying habits will change. :)

Bob
Isuolympic
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Isuolympic »

I was taught a long time ago by both of my parents to do the right thing. Honesty and Integrity are two things that I possess that no one can take away. As someone else mentioned, I try to take the high road rather than stoop to some other people's level. I sleep well at night.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:11 am
Railsplitter wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:36 am It’s my opinion that if they can’t abide by that, then they should message the buyer and let them know. It only takes a minute or two to send such a message.
Agreed. Sellers should endeavor to ship quickly, especially when a buyer pays quickly. If life gets in the way, I feel that keeping the buyer in the loop is a basic courtesy.

As an aside, when USPS was really underperforming in 2020, I had an individual buy one of my eBay items. USPS was in possession of it about three hours after he paid, and I promptly added the tracking information. It took a detour in the wrong direction, and finally made its way to the intended recipient. He had the gall to leave me neutral feedback: "Did not arrive in time, however not his fault." He will never purchase anything from me again.
I would never gig a seller's feedback for a Postal problem.

At one time I was making a tidy sum selling military surplus on eBay, but I haven't sold on eBay since they changed their policies a year or two ago. As I read it, they wanted direct access to my checking account which I am not willing to give.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Maddogfl wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:34 pm
Dan In MI wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:11 am

I would never gig a seller's feedback for a Postal problem.

At one time I was making a tidy sum selling military surplus on eBay, but I haven't sold on eBay since they changed their policies a year or two ago. As I read it, they wanted direct access to my checking account which I am not willing to give.

You're in the right here. All expressions of sympathy for your seller and others who are too busy to get it in the mail are way off. The deal with ebay is that once you pay for an item, and you have given the seller his money, he ships the item by the NEXT DAY. I have bought and sold on ebay for many years and NEVER have I waited more than two days after the auction ends to send the item. Buyer sends money, seller sends item. And I don't mean furnishing a tracking # when it really has not shipped yet. Ebay themselves start reminding me and posting a "paid, ship now" sign IMMEDIATELY after the item is paid for. That's the sellers prompt. That is when it should be shipped if you want return customers and ebay seller ratings to be the best for the seller. I never wait more than two days to send an item to a paid buyer because gentlemen take someone's money for a product and send the item at least as promptly as the buyer gives up their money. It should be the same day IMHO like pretty much all other buying I do. And ebay used to be on my side because I bought a hammer once and it never shipped and no word from the dishonest seller for 3 weeks when the listing says it ships that week. Well I contacted ebay and said what is the deal? They told me the seller was way out of line, do open a case, get a refund if no product. So I contacted the seller, got all this BS about advanced state of shipping, in the system, please be patient and I told him give me my money back you unethical seller. He balks, and I had to contact ebay AGAIN, but guess what? They made him bow to their command and refund me my money. I will no longer deal with ungentlemanly, unethical sellers who take your money and use it for weeks without sending the product. Forget them, make a note of them and never buy from them again and give them the worst feedback you can give because THEY are violating the trusted agreement, not you. The deal is send the money quick and send the product quick when you get their money. I live by it, I EXPECT it in return and Ebay supports that behavior with their prompts and reminders. That's the way it works smoothly. Anything less deserves an ebay response of chastisement and threats against your account balance. Crystal clear for all honorable people. Shouldn't even have to be told. All this garbage about life got in the way, busy, out of town etc. is hot air coming out of a filthy hole. It's not true or honest or honorable or excusable. You would never buy anything else and give your hard earned money and not get the product for weeks. Totally unacceptable and immoral. Truth and honesty demand immediate transactions. When the auction ends, the money is due. When the money comes, the shipment is due unless it's Memorial Day or some closed post office holiday or Sunday. End of story.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
just bob

Post by just bob »

I presume that most people here have at one time or another bought an eBay auction knife. My question is, "Is is just me, or have sellers started slacking about shipping times?" Three times recently, I have waited until the last day of expected delivery then contacted the seller asking for a tracking number. I get excuses and promises and then three or four days later they will ship it. "I forgot" "I have been out of town" "It has been hectic around here" so forth and so own...

I've noticed there is more than one kind of seller on eBay. There are mom and pop people like us, actual super stores from China or like J.C. Whitney, then there are sellers who are actually drop shippers for Amazon and the other mega marketplaces. These sellers do not have the actual items in their possession do not control actual shipping time, or how the item is packaged. Often times these drop shippers enter bogus tracking numbers and by that, I mean if you go to the USPS web site and enter the numbers that have been posted you will get a message saying those numbers are not in the system. Either that number is more than 90 days old or the seller has created it. When the item is actually shipped from the distribution center an accurate tracking number is then provided. Ebay could improve their services if they made a seller declare if they were a drop shipper so the buyer would know exactly what is going on. Given a choice I would not buy from Amazon. I have my reasons for that and feel like this is a deceptive practice and I should be made aware of who I am buying from. You can always torch the seller by leaving them low numbers for shipping time, even if you leave them positive feedback. These DSR numbers are important to the seller because Ebay has metrics in place to monitor them and this effects the discount sellers receive. The drop shippers are usually selling new items and so used knives don't come up. It also seems there are many more lax mom and pop sellers as well.
I just dealt with a guy that had signed up to be a drop shipper for Amazon on Ebay. His feedback and DSR numbers weren't good. I got a product for my cat that had a product label printed in a foreign language and I had no idea of the proper usage. He didn't either and said he didn't have the item in his possession it was in a warehouse somewhere and he had no idea about it. He suggested I go to the products web site to get additional information. I did just that and it was of no help at all. I got back with him and gave him the news. He pleaded with me not to give him bad feedback because he was already in hot water and Ebay was monitoring him. I gave him positive feedback, but in the comments, I said, " can't endorse seller or product" and gave him low DSR numbers for item description. I don't know how much money these drop shippers make. probably only a small percentage of the total, but they are taking the brunt of the heat for Amazon's and the other mega stores faulty sales practices. Why doesn't Amazon have an Ebay store of their own if they want to sell their products there? It seems they choose to hide behind others.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Not necessarily knife related - or maybe it is, but just learned (thanks to a bill signed by our beloved president last year) Ebay now will be reporting to the IRS earnings for any seller who sells over $600 worth of stuff (used to be $20,000). It was suggested in one report I saw that the seller keep up with what was paid for an item, particularly if you incur a loss. Heck, who keeps up with what was paid - especially when I’m selling stuff that I may have collected 20, 30, or even 40 yeas ago! I’m not running a business to keep up with debits and credits - I’m just getting old and need to clear out some stuff! :evil:
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

There's another thread on your topic Tim, ::facepalm:: although I have no idea where you'd find it! ::shrug:: 8)
8)
thebates42

Post by thebates42 »

I was wondering if anyone could help me out on the worth of my wr case & sons because im being told to take it off ebay cause i started it at 100 bucks? its stamped 5200!
Attachments
stag1.jpg
stag1.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
stag6.jpg
stag6.jpg (33.83 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
stag7.jpg
stag7.jpg (28.63 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I can't provide any info on your knife TB42, ::shrug:: but it sure is good lookin'! ::tu:: I'd also like to ::welcome:: you to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

thebates42 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:02 am I was wondering if anyone could help me out on the worth of my wr case & sons because im being told to take it off ebay cause i started it at 100 bucks? its stamped 5200!
Are you saying that eBay has told you to remove the item because of your minimum opening bid amount? ::shrug:: I've never heard of that happening before and quite honestly I would be very surprised if the starting price (min opening bid) was the reason for the removal request. Got to be something else going on here because to the best of my knowledge, eBay has no rule against a seller setting any min opening bid amount that he wants (we've all seen some absurd, outrageous and ridiculous min opening bids).

I suggest you contact eBay for more specific information. It's possible there could be something else in your listing that raised a red flag such as mentioning the word "bone" or "stag" or some other "forbidden" material without a disclaimer regarding the type of bone and that it's not from an endangered or protected species.
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
thebates42

Post by thebates42 »

I never said Ebay took my post down. SomeONE informed me that I started it way too low. I found out what I needed to know and that PERSON was correct/ It is a melon tester stag copperhead. But I thank you for all your help with what you know about Ebay and not my knife. :lol:
thebates42

Post by thebates42 »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:36 am I can't provide any info on your knife TB42, ::shrug:: but it sure is good lookin'! ::tu:: I'd also like to ::welcome:: you to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
Thank you! It is a really nice looking knife!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:24 am
thebates42 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:02 am I was wondering if anyone could help me out on the worth of my wr case & sons because im being told to take it off ebay cause i started it at 100 bucks? its stamped 5200!
Are you saying that eBay has told you to remove the item because of your minimum opening bid amount? ::shrug:: I've never heard of that happening before and quite honestly I would be very surprised if the starting price (min opening bid) was the reason for the removal request. Got to be something else going on here because to the best of my knowledge, eBay has no rule against a seller setting any min opening bid amount that he wants (we've all seen some absurd, outrageous and ridiculous min opening bids).

I suggest you contact eBay for more specific information. It's possible there could be something else in your listing that raised a red flag such as mentioning the word "bone" or "stag" or some other "forbidden" material without a disclaimer regarding the type of bone and that it's not from an endangered or protected species.
When I read the post ~Q~ I thought the same thing! I read it over and over cuz it didn't make sense and then it hit me that someone had told him his price was too low for that knife, not that ebay had taken his listing down! The way it was worded was a bit confusing! 8)
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”