Moore Maker 5304 Stockman

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
cody6268

Moore Maker 5304 Stockman

Post by cody6268 »

About a year ago, I saw this one on eBay for $35 and sprung for it. Secondhand Moore Maker knives tend to be really overpriced, especially if that seller's from Texas.

It's a really big 4 3/8" closed. Handles are yellow bone, originally jigged. I don't understand how it didn't hold up, given I have knives that are as much as 70 years older with their jigging still intact and more wear.

It's not a pretty shelf queen. The jigging has worn off the bone. There is a small (rounded off from wear) chip on the back handle. Blades have tarnish and pitting.

20220519_221649.jpg
But, the blades still have really strong snap, and they're nearly full. It is a really quality knife, all for the cost of an Asian-made Schrade Lumberjack.

I like knives in this condition. They're bad enough to not cost a heckuva a lot of money, and you don't really have to worry about it if it's an EDC. Problem is that with only one hundred made, not one I want to lose. That being said, it's regularly in my pocket.

As a member here said --"life's too short to carry a cheap knife". I don't have GEC money, and thus most of my EDCs aren't that nice, but I will bet this knife is just as well finished as a GEC. It's something I can count on, and am impressed with the build quality.

While I still buy a lot of Delrin models, I've been trying to add more older carbon steel, bone handle EDCs to my collection.
cudgee

Re: Moore Maker 5304 Stockman

Post by cudgee »

That is a really nice knife. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Desert Golfer »

Cody- Your Knife appears to have smooth Yellow Bone Handles. If so, your Knife Never had any jigging, it was always smooth since New. ::tu:: Mike
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m pretty sure it had smooth bone covers from the factory. IIRC the pattern came as a 3304 (smooth yellow Delrin) and 5304 (smooth yellow bone).

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Thanks guys! I had assumed that since those that showed up in internet searches were pretty much all jigged, mine was also. It never made sense that it was ever jigged to begin with, as the shield would have had to have worn off also.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”