MLW Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
egahttak

MLW Knife

Post by egahttak »

Can you please help me ID the knife maker MLW.
Also what might be the value of the knive in the pictures.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: MLW Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

I have not seen an "MLW" marked knife before. It does look to be a custom made knife but this does not mean it is valuable. The value of a custom knife is based on how well known the maker is, not on the quality of the knife.
With an unknown maker the value is simply that which someone is willing to pay you for it. With so many well made sharp knives coming from China and retailing for as little as $20 your knife will not be easy to sell.
kj
egahttak

Post by egahttak »

Joe,

Thank you for your response.

I inherited a substantial collection of knifes and this specific knife appears to be added to the collection in 1982.
I wanted to get an estimate on value for insurance purposes.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I believe this to be an early custom tactical folder by Michael Leon Walker. He is known for modernizing the linerlock blade locking mechanism, and has partnered with several cutlery companies. He trademarked the term "linerlock" in 1990. Wikipedia article said the first knives with the Walker linerlock came out in the early 1980s, so 1982 makes perfect sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_W ... nifemaker)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

If this is a knife made by Michael Walker then it is valuable. His more recently made folding knives can sell for $10,000 and more. He is quite a famous knife maker.
You could contact a custom knife dealer, one who has sold knives by this maker and get a fairly accurate assessment as to value. These guys would know: https://knifelegends.com/
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The owners of "Knife Legends" will know if this is an early Michael Walker knife. Please do a follow up post here and let us know. It will help further our knife education.
kj
egahttak

Post by egahttak »

cody6268 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:19 pm I believe this to be an early custom tactical folder by Michael Leon Walker.
Thank you for the info.

I was able to confirm with Michael Walker himself that he indeed made this knife 40 + years ago.
He also included this picture in his email response.
Attachments
ben-F.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

WOW ! Thanks for this follow up. You have a very special custom knife.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”