eBay knife truths...(or not)

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Maddogfl

eBay knife truths...(or not)

Post by Maddogfl »

* Every fixed blade knife is a "fighting knife." (There must have been millions of knife fights)
* A knife is "very rare" even if there are several listed on the same page
* Bench grinders are the way to remove rust from or sharpen a vintage knife to raise the value.
* The name, or initials, carved on the knife sheath was by the heroic veteran, not someone who owned the knife in the subsequent 8 decades.
* Any homemade knife is "theater made." (personally, I never saw anyone making a knife while I was watching a movie. ;) )

Please help me complete this list... ;)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: eBay knife truths...(or not)

Post by doglegg »

Very insightful.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Every knife over a week old is “rare”, vintage”, “antique”, “collectable”, or all of the above. ::smirk::

Every knife has a case, or has no case. ::uc::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
catspa

Post by catspa »

I gotta start reading Ebay descriptions just for the entertainment.

I’ve never had a fighting knife, mine have all been quite polite and courteous. Maybe it’s in how you raise ‘em up, or the example you set, or not letting’em watch too much TV.

Parker
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

If the Handle material is not steel, or wood, then it must be bone.
The term "Like New" can be applied to the description if no more than 50% of the blades are worn, scratched, or ground.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

catspa wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:22 pm I gotta start reading Ebay descriptions just for the entertainment.

I’ve never had a fighting knife, mine have all been quite polite and courteous. Maybe it’s in how you raise ‘em up, or the example you set, or not letting’em watch too much TV.

Parker
catspa wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:22 pm I gotta start reading Ebay descriptions just for the entertainment.

Parker
Some are just born bad. The worst fighting knife I ever saw was a two dollar, hook billed roofer's knife, it opened up my foreman, in a drunken bar fight in S. Georgia. On sweeping slice and it took over 200 stitches to put him back together. The doctors still missed the most important part, If they had stitched his lips closed he would have avoided future problems. It was good for me, I got his job and a big pay raise while he was out! ;)

Oh the good old days. ;)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

catspa wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:22 pm I’ve never had a fighting knife, mine have all been quite polite and courteous. Maybe it’s in how you raise ‘em up, or the example you set, or not letting’em watch too much TV.
::rotflol:: My knives are pretty civilized, too!

Related: every old knife is worth double its weight in gold.

If it fails to sell for its ridiculous start bid or buy it now price, keep relisting it at that price. Someone has to buy it eventually.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Not just e-bay. I can show you at least three local shops with ink scrapers/erasers offered as "Civil War era scalpels" or "Antique surgical bleeders". I have even seen them in shops near historic sites like Gettysburg and Antietam advertised as "found on the battlefield" displayed with some amazingly well preserved minie' balls. I can't say what my mind conjures up when I try to picture the, (expletive deleted), persons who write out those fantasy labels.
Caveat emptor! Should appear on e-bay's logo. J.O'.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:43 pm
catspa wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:22 pm I’ve never had a fighting knife, mine have all been quite polite and courteous. Maybe it’s in how you raise ‘em up, or the example you set, or not letting’em watch too much TV.
::rotflol:: My knives are pretty civilized, too!

Related: every old knife is worth double its weight in gold.

If it fails to sell for its ridiculous start bid or buy it now price, keep relisting it at that price. Someone has to buy it eventually.
Or higher!👍
Roger
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

These three 'fighting knives' had to defend themselves agains a drunken aluminum can, but almost got taken out by some bricks. :roll:
Attachments
fighting knives.jpeg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

Don’t forget, every American knife is descended from Case. They are “x”, “xx”, “xxx”, and the ultra rare Dirty “x”. And all have dots, NOT PITTING….there is no Derlin, they used surgically replaced synthetic bone!
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

There's no such thing as cow bone, only rare Bovine Bone.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:17 pm Every knife over a week old is “rare”, vintage”, “antique”, “collectable”, or all of the above. ::smirk::

Every knife has a case, or has no case. ::uc::

Ken
Funny about "vintage" knives, the sellers never say what vintage a knife is.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

I have some vintage wine in my basement I made last winter, maybe those knives are just as old? ::undecided::
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Don't forget "cleaned to mint." A 1910 patent # stamp means it was made in 1910. I am always on the lookout for one of those WWII Schrade Waldens (especially the Chinese ones).
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Several years ago an Ebay seller in Asia had this to say about a knife he was trying to sell:
"SCHRADE HISTORY: Schrade knives are certainly one involving America’s finest knives whose features received value through nationwide and also the globe at the same time. Founded in 1975 by Stewart Taylor, your Taylor Brand names possess created, allocated and also created high-quality knives which have slept higher than the game. Having its technologically advanced components, carbon metal knives have been the delight involving Schrade knives. Hand-crafted together with utmost detail, Schrade knives have created a name that is certainly regarded all over the world.

Having a number of models to be able to appeal to diverse discerning style, the particular SCHRADE KNIVES customized knives in order to meet the requirements of the buyers who will be either enthusiastic cutlery collectors as well as first-time people that are impressed using its overall performance. Deals with tend to be involving stag, metal, acicular bone, mommy of gem, buffalo grass horn, black and other durable resources that will tolerate fantastic force without suffering appearance. Getting one of these is sure to keep the collection a single chef’s knife seeking much better. Schrade has been supplying knives for civilians and troops likewise going back hundred years ago. However, these people never have usually tried it under the parent firm they are now under. That they used to be an independent company and have already been doing this beyond Ellenville, New York since the year 1904. With regards to three decades previously, they joined up with Jones and Wesson within the father organization Taylor Makes, in the Appalachian mountains of Kingsport, Tennessee. Because his or her brand modified does not always mean Schrade knives have grown to be any a smaller amount capable of ending up being named among the best knives on the market. They have interpreted their unyielding good quality to the modern day manufacturing techniques, bringing about more offered, exceptional knives that any of our fantastic grandparents will be proud to obtain. Unfortunately, it wasn’t constantly an even path with regard to Schrade. Several blade hobbyists scrambled to acquire a common cutlery while that for series. Tiny do they already know Taylor Brands would likely rapidly choose the model upward off the floor, pull out their own graphic, and initiate manufacturing knives below their own industry name once more.

That old Schrade knives, LIKE THIS ONE, tend to be well-known knives using this brand name. It’s been useful for the particular military as well as legislations enforcements due to the sturdiness as well as reliability. It has saw-cut addresses along with dime increases. Additionally, it has an inlay safeguard where the old timers press has become engraved. Considering that the manufacturing involving Schrade knives was halted. There are only a few of those that you can seldom uncover and you’ll need to look up well on the internet and using specialized retailers to get a single Schrade knife."
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

My brain hurts. Not too good is my English anymore, ouchie…. ::teary_eyes::
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Regardless of what the handle material may be in reality it is udoubtedly Red Bone on eBay.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

When I see this in the title I get really excited! !!!WOW!!! And it is very enlightening to discover that "It would look really good in my collection."
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

If it's made in Russia is was no doubt a "Prison knife"
just bob

Post by just bob »

knifegnome wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:41 pm If it's made in Russia is was no doubt a "Prison knife"
Same thoughts as mine. If it looks like it was made from a coat hanger, bottle cap, or body part it was at one time, no doubt a prison shiv or shank. Even though the seller may not be able to verify the information.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It's a lunchbox knife, from the estate of a long time collector. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:51 pm It's a lunchbox knife, from the estate of a long time collector. ::facepalm::

Ken
::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

tongueriver wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:08 pm Several years ago an Ebay seller in Asia had this to say about a knife he was trying to sell.....
Deals with tend to be involving stag, metal, acicular bone, mommy of gem, buffalo grass horn, black and other durable resources that will tolerate fantastic force without suffering appearance
I don't know about you guys, but I've really had a hard time finding any of those "Mommy of gem" and "Buffalo grass Horn" knife handles.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

I don’t know why but I always want to bid on this guys knives…. I’m not sure why
www.ebay.com/itm/294898808511
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv

Return to “General Knife Discussion”