What’s your favorite place to find bargains?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
OSCAR

What’s your favorite place to find bargains?

Post by OSCAR »

On occasion members post awesome knives that they found for a super price. I’ve shopped antique stores, swap meets, flea markets and various stores. I apparently don’t have any luck.
What’s your favorite way to locate the bargains?
My resources are somewhat limited so I shop cautiously. The only super bargain I ever came across was a stag handle Hubertus auto for $25 in great condition . I didn’t think twice buying it. I never came across another deal like that. I have found some very fair deals from vendors here and bought many but I’m trying to find super deals.
Thanks for your inputs.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What’s your favorite place to find bargains?

Post by edge213 »

My best bargains have been AAPK and flea markets.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

The only thing I can think of to say is be in the right place at the right time, even on Ebay I've got some bargains because no one else bid. I've never found what I consider a bargain at a antique store but others do. Flea mkts I've had some luck. The web sites have really took a toll on the used pocket knife prices, everybody seems to think a old colonial is worth a war pension. ::shrug:: ::handshake::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

HA! You think I'm really going to disclose my honey hole? ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

Well, if I had a honey hole... :oops:

Up here in the North East pickings are very slim. Finding a bargain is a matter of pure luck.
Honestly, over the past 10 years I can say I've only found 1 or 2 that were a bargain, by my definition: good condition, in my budget.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Seems like the most important thing in finding a bargain might be to have a little stash of cash stuffed back in your billfold when a sure enough bargain shows up. Not every vendor or seller can process a card.
I've been surprised a few times finding good knives laying among earrings and necklaces in 2nd hand shops. That doesn't even calculate. ::shrug:: Flea markets, antique malls and once in a while even a pawn shop will have something reasonable enough to be called a bargain.
Maybe Triple F (Scott) will comment on his success in finding bargains, he is very successful finding bargains.
Bighomer said a mouthful when he said, "be in the right place at the right time"! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

The only place I can say I've found a bargain or a good deal was at a pawn shop. Once there was a CASE knife and another time a Boker and someone who had no idea of knife values put them in the $10 bin of knives. I guess most of the time I consider it a bargain if I can get it for what I'm willing to pay instead of what the seller is asking.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

bighomer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:08 pm The web sites have really took a toll on the used pocket knife prices, everybody seems to think a old colonial is worth a war pension.
That's how things have gone with seemingly everything people collect. TV has played a large role in that, too.

I still need to try my hand at local venues. Antique stores can be fun to browse, but in my experience, they are not good places to find bargains. Much of the same can be seen on my local Craigslist. But occasionally one gets lucky; a pre-1973 Swiss Army knife showed up on my local Craigslist with a price of $5...and didn't stay there very long.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Bargains are where you find them, not at a particular place. You just have to keep looking, and know one when you see it. A $50 knife in the $1 bin, or a $500 knife for $100, they’re both bargains.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

Garage sales; definitely. Some examples are a Ruana for $1.25, a WW2 Case sticker for $15.00, an Al Mar belt buckle knife for $2.00, a mint Gerber A450 for $5.00, and many excellent kitchen knives for nearly nothing. I've also gotten some great bargains at gun shows. But, my most recent "find" was an $8.00 mint Gerber belt buckle knife mixed in with a motley collection of other buckles at an antique mall in Lubbock, TX.

I think the real key is spending a LOT of time on the hunt. I am sure I've spent hundreds of hours per "find". As an example, my wife and I spent last week on a road trip through South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas. We hit one flea market, several pawn shops, a few thrift shops, and many antique shops. The closest thing to a "find" was a ten inch wooden "Kutmaster" sign for $25.00.

Happy Hunting.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I plan to get more into local flea markets and yard sales again this summer.

So far, here and Etsy have netted me better buys lately than eBay.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

As some have said being at the right place at the right time can be the key. I've found bargains in pawn shops, garage sales, auctions, antique malls and flea markets but they have been few and far between. The odds are proportionate to how much and often you hunt. It certainley isn't as easy as it used to be in my experience.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Love it or hate it, Ebay is the largest knife show in the world and it’s open 24/7/365.

Whatever you’re after will turn up there sooner or later.

Fine tune your search words.

Or, check a busy category every day.

I used to look at every auction added to the vintage pre-1970 pocketknives list everyday.

Also, if your target brand has more than four or five letters in its name, try using misspelled keywords. Most people putting a knife on Ebay are not knife people. They don’t use loupes and often misread a tang stamp.

Are you going to hit upon a bargain everyday? No, you are not.

I have found several Robeson/Terrier bargains on Ebay. Most people have no idea how old one of those can be.

And don’t limit your buys to the brands you collect. Buy anything that you can make money on.

I once bought two mint pearl handled, three blade folders that were file worked and had their now famous cutler’s initials inside the frame and a near mint Schrade candle-end lobster withe pearl handles and HERBERT HOOVER etched on one side. I got that for ten and sold it for a hundred.

It takes diligence and perseverance to find bargains on Ebay and you’ve got to be willing to pull the trigger on buy it now items before someone else does so.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

I agree with the others, bargains are where you find them. Also sometimes what others consider a bargain may be outrageous to you.
We don't have flea markets where I live so most of the knives I've collected have come from AAPK, Ebay, or on-line sellers like SMKW.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Case V42 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:07 pm Garage sales; definitely. Some examples are a Ruana for $1.25, a WW2 Case sticker for $15.00, an Al Mar belt buckle knife for $2.00, a mint Gerber A450 for $5.00, and many excellent kitchen knives for nearly nothing. I've also gotten some great bargains at gun shows. But, my most recent "find" was an $8.00 mint Gerber belt buckle knife mixed in with a motley collection of other buckles at an antique mall in Lubbock, TX.

I think the real key is spending a LOT of time on the hunt. I am sure I've spent hundreds of hours per "find". As an example, my wife and I spent last week on a road trip through South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas. We hit one flea market, several pawn shops, a few thrift shops, and many antique shops. The closest thing to a "find" was a ten inch wooden "Kutmaster" sign for $25.00.

Happy Hunting.
Not so much of a bargain if you account for the $4.00 a gallon gas...lol
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

Ain't that the truth, but I had to go anyway.
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:52 pm
Case V42 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:07 pm Garage sales; definitely. Some examples are a Ruana for $1.25, a WW2 Case sticker for $15.00, an Al Mar belt buckle knife for $2.00, a mint Gerber A450 for $5.00, and many excellent kitchen knives for nearly nothing. I've also gotten some great bargains at gun shows. But, my most recent "find" was an $8.00 mint Gerber belt buckle knife mixed in with a motley collection of other buckles at an antique mall in Lubbock, TX.

Happy Hunting.
$4.35 here diesel $5.35…I find what I call bargains on the Bay, it’s already been said, no other place to find specific items, I used to sell on there but 13% sellers fee, no more.
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

JamieinWV wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:41 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:52 pm

Happy Hunting.
$4.35 here diesel $5.35…I find what I call bargains on the Bay, it’s already been said, no other place to find specific items, I used to sell on there but 13% sellers fee, no more.
Olde Cutler , I sympathize with you. It’s not just knives going up in price but as you pointed out, fuel. Food, housing and just about everything else. The only thing going down in price are investments. Even bonds are dropping. I am putting my collection hobby aside as it’s not my first priority. I am of the belief that things will get a lot worse before they improve (if they ever do).
If it’s not something I really want and at a reasonable price, I’m going to have to pass.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I have always found it difficult to find bargains even though I look as
often as I could. eBay was a place where I have found a few, but
with the higher prices everyone is willing to pay has put me in the
dark.

I have not been to a knife show in 2 years. I can't say I have
previously found real bargains there but it is fun to look.
Sometimes I bought a knife anyway because at least I know
100% the good and the bad of the knife.

Bob
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

I might add Gunbroker to the site to look at…maybe not many bargains but also not many bidders on knives. I have my FFLs and buy hard to find guns on there, but still not many bargains. But a good source if looking for hard to find stuff (guns or blades)
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

JamieinWV wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:37 am I might add Gunbroker to the site to look at…maybe not many bargains but also not many bidders on knives. I have my FFLs and buy hard to find guns on there, but still not many bargains. But a good source if looking for hard to find stuff (guns or blades)
Great idea ! Most shoppers there aren’t looking for knives so less bidders. Makes sense. I’m going to hit a few pawn shops and I’ll check that website tonight. Thanks Oscar

Return to “General Knife Discussion”