Need help to ID this mystery blade

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
ebanisch

Need help to ID this mystery blade

Post by ebanisch »

Hello all- newbie here. I recently unearthed this blade which has been gathering dust in my shed for years. It’s an oldie and belonged to my husband’s father or grandfather. The blade is pristine and clearly has never been used. TIA!
Attachments
07EFC94C-0F9F-4B60-9891-2CF024AF118B.jpeg
08FD5CE8-88B6-42E7-86B1-260ABE9F9EA0.jpeg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need help to ID this mystery blade

Post by btrwtr »

Can't tell you anything about it other than I've been dealing with old collectible cutlery for many years and have never seen anything like it. Must be a very scarce item. Hopefully someone here may know something about it.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Don't know a lot about Gerber, But looks to be a very early one. And looks to be made from a power hacksaw blade which I've heard is what the early ones were made from.
Eye Brand Collector
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

It's called The Moose Hook made between 1957 to 1960 Limited numbers made .
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK, Tia! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

Never seen one of these. That is a beautiful case/sheath for it as well. I'm curious but do you happen to know the length?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Unfortunately the OP has not logged back in to AAPK since making the post. Don’t understand why people join, post pictures or questions, and don’t return to see the replies. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

IMHO, I think some folks use AAPK forums the same way they use Google, Ken, they're true interests lie with making money and doing volume sales as opposed to being an active member and logging-in everyday. And it seems that some guys that ask a question want an answer immediately, and if they don't get it they move on right away. Our forum is actually quite famous on the internet amongst knifers, as is proven by all the links that lead here after Googling a question. I believe the vast knowledge on this site has been noticed by many knife guys out there, but some only want an answer to a question and have no desire to become more involve. That's how I see it! 8)
8)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:55 pm IMHO, I think some folks use AAPK forums the same way they use Google, Ken, they're true interests lie with making money and doing volume sales as opposed to being an active member and logging-in everyday. And it seems that some guys that ask a question want an answer immediately, and if they don't get it they move on right away. Our forum is actually quite famous on the internet amongst knifers, as is proven by all the links that lead here after Googling a question. I believe the vast knowledge on this site has been noticed by many knife guys out there, but some only want an answer to a question and have no desire to become more involve. That's how I see it! 8)
I'll agree with your explanation, Madmarko. ::tu::
Many times, trying to find something about a knife on the internet, using Google or other search engines, the 1st reference that pops up is AAPK.
That speaks highly of the information available here on the AAPK forum! ::tu::
And to what Ken said about one time users, the pages of members are full of one visits. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:08 pm
Madmarco wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:55 pm IMHO, I think some folks use AAPK forums the same way they use Google, Ken, they're true interests lie with making money and doing volume sales as opposed to being an active member and logging-in everyday. And it seems that some guys that ask a question want an answer immediately, and if they don't get it they move on right away. Our forum is actually quite famous on the internet amongst knifers, as is proven by all the links that lead here after Googling a question. I believe the vast knowledge on this site has been noticed by many knife guys out there, but some only want an answer to a question and have no desire to become more involve. That's how I see it! 8)
I'll agree with your explanation, Madmarko. ::tu::
Many times, trying to find something about a knife on the internet, using Google or other search engines, the 1st reference that pops up is AAPK.
That speaks highly of the information available here on the AAPK forum! ::tu::
And to what Ken said about one time users, the pages of members are full of one visits. ::hmm::
Treefarmer
::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ! In the 2 years I've been a member of this forum this is the first time anyone has spelt my name with a "k" instead of a "c" and my name is legally spelled with a "k". I myself didn't even really notice I'd used a "c" until it was way too late and everyone was use to spelling it with a "c"! Just a bit of useless information I thought I'd send your way! ::facepalm:: LOL! 8)
8)

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”