Gerber Freeman

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
Rich53

Gerber Freeman

Post by Rich53 »

Does anyone know of a knife similar to the Freeman but with better steel?

I love the Freeman's design. The rubber grips feel very secure in the hand and I like the knife's weight and balance.

However, the cheap steel leaves a lot to be desired. I wish Gerber would upgrade to at least D2 or another mid grade steel.

Thanks for any input!
RevolverGuy

Re: Gerber Freeman

Post by RevolverGuy »

There is both a fixed blade and folding Freeman knife. Not sure which you're looking for... If you can track one down there was a limited exclusive that had used S30V. Closest knife I can think of to this model is the Buck Alpha Hunter. I own two of the folding Alpha Hunter's (Buck model 279). One of mine has 154CM steel and the other is 420HC. But if I recall Buck did release them in some different steels, just sometimes hard to find.

If you're wanting to stick with a Gerber, try one of their Gator's. It's got that rubber grippy handle as well. There was a recent run called the Gerber Gator Premium's which had S30V. And I have seen a drop point version in 154CM.
Rich53

Re: Gerber Freeman

Post by Rich53 »

Thanks!

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”