What is this called?

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
knife7knut

What is this called?

Post by knife7knut »

Got this one at the local flea market today and am trying to find out what model it is. Searched the Gerber website and could not locate it. One of the stranger multi-tools I have seen:there are two different pliers heads that snap in and out easily.The head not being used is stored in the pouch. Just want a model number/name for my files.
Attachments
GerberMulti-Tool2Head$10 002.jpg
GerberMulti-Tool2Head$10 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What is this called?

Post by doglegg »

K7K that is a new one to me. Never seen one like it. ::shrug::
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I have half an answer for you. In the first photo, the tool with the headpiece is called a "Gerber MP600". I have 3 of them. I have no idea what the name of entire kit is called though. If I find out, I'll let you know. I'm fairly certain though it's still an MP600 because it came in 2 different models:

1. Blunt Nose
2. Needle Nose.

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I don't know anything about it but I found this Gerber Multi-Plier 650 Evolution on a Google Image search.
Attachments
Gerber.jpg
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

XX Case XX wrote:I have half an answer for you. In the first photo, the tool with the headpiece is called a "Gerber MP600". I have 3 of them. I have no idea what the name of entire kit is called though. If I find out, I'll let you know. I'm fairly certain though it's still an MP600 because it came in 2 different models:

1. Blunt Nose
2. Needle Nose.

EDIT: The picture of the MP 650 looks like there is an Allen wrench included;possibly to change the heads.The one I have all that is required is to depress the two clips(one on either side)which retracts a small detent and allows the head to be pulled out. To install you have to spread the handles just slightly to allow the head to slide in and then depress the clips to lock it into place. Also I noticed the heads are slightly different on the MP 650.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Well the mystery is solved;it is in fact an MP650. Apparently they made a military version with a black passivate(or something similar)finish.There were a total of four heads apparently:blunt end;needle nose;wire cutter;and needle nose with blasting cap crimper.The civilian version had the bead blasted finish(actually I think it is a vapor honing process).
For some reason the Gerber website doesn't list it;even under it's discontinued models.At least I couldn't find it. The heads are available separately but e-Bay gremlins want about $80 apiece so I don't think I'll be shopping for those anytime soon.There was one listed with all four heads but the asking price was nearly $250.00! I'll be content with the two heads.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Wow, you found an MP-650 at a flea market?! That's one amazing find.

I find the design a bit interesting, but I probably won't ever own one because the pliers don't slide into the handle on this model.

Your situation on the heads is like my situation with the original Buck Selector. I got the original (two-bladed) model; without any accessory blades, and have been wanting to pick up a couple blades so that I can use the knife-$30 each! I didn't pay that for the lot the knife came in.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

cody6268 wrote:Wow, you found an MP-650 at a flea market?! That's one amazing find.

I find the design a bit interesting, but I probably won't ever own one because the pliers don't slide into the handle on this model.

Your situation on the heads is like my situation with the original Buck Selector. I got the original (two-bladed) model; without any accessory blades, and have been wanting to pick up a couple blades so that I can use the knife-$30 each! I didn't pay that for the lot the knife came in.
I was reading about them on another forum and someone was saying you can take an MP600 and remove the head and modify it slightly to fit the 650. Apparently they use the same head only it slides in and out instead of being removable. Of course that destroys the 600.

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”