Early Gerber LST had Cryogenic Treatment Blades!!

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
hard.times.lures

Early Gerber LST had Cryogenic Treatment Blades!!

Post by hard.times.lures »

In reading over some early Gerber literature, I discover that the early model Zytel model LST knives were cryogenic quenched.

I have always thought the early model LSTs held a better edge than current models. I thought it was due to using a much better grade steel than the current LST use. Now I can see why part of the reason is the cryogenic treatment. Not many knife companies used this in knives back then. It really improves the edge holding ability.

One of the knife companies I have worked for was Boye Knives. They use the cryogenic treatment and it really helped. I know that latter model Buck Knives have this treatment and it helps their edge holding too.

Just something I learned today that I thought to pass along about Gerber LST knives.

Bryan+
cody6268

Re: Early Gerber LST had Cryogenic Treatment Blades!!

Post by cody6268 »

I have a Magnum LST Jr. from the 1990s, and have noticed it holds an excellent edge. It's also a lot more ergonomic than the current LSTs. Sure wish they'd bring the Magnum and Magnum Jr. back. I think Gerber's too focused right now on Orient-made garbage with "trendy" names and features. These days, the introduction imported models seem to vastly outnumber American-made ones.
AR Norby

Re: Early Gerber LST had Cryogenic Treatment Blades!!

Post by AR Norby »

I have 2 LSTs from the early 80's, 2 more I bought in the 90's, one LST I bought about 5 years ago (smaller checkering) and two LST II's from the early 2000's and honestly they all hold and edge well but the the older 80's models due seem a little harder to sharpen.
Perception is Reality

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”