Old Gerber identification help

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
phi1286

Old Gerber identification help

Post by phi1286 »

I am trying to help my dad identify these two old Gerber knives he has and this board seemed like a good source of information.

He traded a pistol for both knives back in 1970 (give or take a year or three). One sheath has 425 stamped on it and the other 450. He contacted Gerber support and they weren't any help. I looked around and could only find models of these knives with finger grooves all along the handle.

Any information y'all can provide about these would be much appreciated. If you need any more details to help identify them just let me know. Thanks!

Eric

IMG_0441.jpg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Gerber identification help

Post by kennedy knives »

These came out in 1971 Was Gerbers Presentation Hunters a series of 5 different models 400,425,450,475 7 525 with the square style handle and pointed end . They were made for about 1 year and they changed the handle to the finger grooved. Hope this helps
Gary
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not collect Gerber or Fixed Blades but i think those 2 knives are worth a moderate amount of money. Great design for both, as desirable now as back in 1970's.
kj
whiskeytango315

Post by whiskeytango315 »

Eric,

From what I can find, they are from the 1970's but were in production up into the 80's. They are made with S59 "high speed" tool grade stainless steel. I'm not sure if the sheath's are are actually for the model's of if Gerber just used them because they fit, not the first I've seen this way. You can "google" S59 Gerber knife and it will bring up more info about the knives. They seem to be fetching higher prices than the other squared butt knives. I am not certain if these are the only models with the S59 stainless. But seem to be the only ones I have seen. Maybe someone else has seen others with this steel. Either way they are some really nice pieces. Hope this helps. ::tu::
WilValOr

Post by WilValOr »

Apparently only the Stag-handled versions are the S59 HST steel. The Macassar ebony handled ones are Gerber's 440c.
Scanned from a catalog of that era:

[image]http://theknifepoint.files.wordpress.co ... -knife.png[/image]

ETA: It always kills me when I see the prices in those old catalogs. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.
I should have bought one of each.
I could have too.
If only I would have suspected their value later on.
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

Your knives are "Presentation" models manufactured by Gerber in 1971. The pointed handle knives were only made for one year before Gerber modified the design to the flat pommel finger groove handle. The 1971 knives were made in both wood and stag handled versions (the stag is uncommon) and in both stainless and "high speed" tool steel. The H 59 is not a type of steel, but designates non-stainless and Rockwell hardness of "59". The knives were made in 4, 4.25, 4.50, 4.75, and 5.25 inch blade lengths. 400 equals 4 inch blade, 425 equals 4.25 inch, etc. As the pointed version was made only one year, they are much scarcer than the finger-groove models, and do bring quite a bit higher prices.

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”