Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Q....

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
knife7knut

Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Q....

Post by knife7knut »

A friend of mine picked up a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn folder(assisted opening)with a black blade. He wants to sell it to me and told me to make him an offer.The blade had been sharpened several times but seems to be in decent shape. My concern is with the locking mechanism.When pushed forward to allow the blade to open it doesn't stay in position and makes it very awkward to open the blade.Likewise when the blade is in the locked position closed it slides forward slightly.When the blade is open the button has a bit of spring tension on it to keep the blade locked.
Doesn't seem like it really functions very well.Checked e-Bay and the prices are all over the map for them.Most of the e-Bay knives have bright blades whereas this one is black. Is this an earlier model?
Any idea what a fair price for the knife would be? I want to be fair as he is a friend and I would like to keep it that way. Here are a couple of pictures. Any advice would be gladly welcomed.
Attachments
GerberApplegate-Fairbairn2017 001.jpg
GerberApplegate-Fairbairn2017 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”