20th Anniversary Mark II Question

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
Kniferforever

20th Anniversary Mark II Question

Post by Kniferforever »

I have a dilemma, I have a Gerber 20th Anniversary Mark II knife that I am going to sell. It is still in the box, unopened. I don't know what the storage conditions were for the last 30 years, it was purchased from a closed retail store that closed. It was on a shelf in the store covered in dust. Would a true collector rather purchase the knife unopened or do I need to open the box and check the knife condition? I'm talking still has the original cellophane still in place and comes with the wood display still partially wrapped in the original cellophane. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tony
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: 20th Anniversary Mark II Question

Post by Quick Steel »

Interesting question. It will be helpful if a consensus develops in response to your question. My own preference would be for you to inspect the knife before I lay out my money. But it is certainly plausible that serious collectors might prefer an unopened box. I don't see an issue with that so long as the potential buyer understands and accepts the risk.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I would be hesitant to buy a knife sight unseen. This question has come up before and as best I recall, most seemed to be inclined toward removing the wrapping in order to photograph or display the knife. In my way of thinking, to buy a knife wrapped up so that it can't be seen is reminiscent of the old saying "buying a pig in a poke".
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Personally, I'd like to see what I'm buying, however, there's almost always more than one way to do things. Tony, what about listing the knife using a stock photo from Gerber (with permission), so potential buyers can see what the knife should look like.

If you get no takers, then it's probably a good indication that people want to see the knife so you'll have to unwrap it. Also, if you do this, make sure you indicate in the description that the knife was only opened for photographic purposes.

Maybe you could include "Before & After" pictures with a stamp date so interested parties could see that the box was opened on the same day it was listed, thereby documenting the sequence of events.

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

If I owned it I would open it. Also, I would have to see it before I bought it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Kniferforever

Post by Kniferforever »

Thanks everyone....looks like I will be opening the knife before I list it. Of course I will make some photos or a short video clip of the opening of the box.
Thanks again
Tony

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”