Gerber Vulcan

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Gerber Vulcan

Post by orvet »

I recently found a Gerber that I have not seen before, it is called the “Vulcan.”
According to Phil Rodenberg’s book “A Chronicle of Gerber Legendary Blades,” the Vulcan series was made in Japan in 1986 and 1987. There were three sizes of the Vulcan however; he does not list the sizes in his book, nor does he have pictures of the three sizes.

I am surprised that I have not encountered any knives from the Vulcan series before. I have been around Gerber a lot, I have lived within 50 to 60 miles of their factory for the last 40 years. I worked literally half a mile south of the Gerber factory in the late 1970s. Gerber was one of the main lines of cutlery we sold in the cutlery store I managed in the 1980s and early 1990s, yet I have not encountered this pattern before.

It’s a very nice knife with a good grippy handle. It is 3-5/8” in length closed.

I can only assume the reason I have not encountered this pattern before is that they were either not very popular or there were not many of them imported. It’s too bad because this is a nice pattern with a good grip and a nice hollow ground blade.
Gerber Vulcan b.jpg
Gerber Vulcan c.jpg
Gerber Vulcan a.jpg
Gerber Vulcan d.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
FRJ

Re: Gerber Vulcan

Post by FRJ »

That is a good looking knife, Dale.
It would be nice to know what the other sizes are.
Joe
MUD

Post by MUD »

Happy New Year

That's a good looking knife. Got sneak attached on the bay about 3 weeks ago and missed one nib by a few dollars (last second bid while I was at work, who has time to sit and wait till the last few minutes).
Gonna be a great year feller's
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

Neat knife. I've only seen them on eBay, and I've yet to snag one.

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”