Gerber History

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Gerber History

Post by orvet »

Gerber Legendary Blades started in 1939 when Joe Gerber, owner of an advertising company in Portland Oregon, had a local knife maker, David Murphy make about 24 sets of carving knives for Christmas gifts for some of his clients. The knives were a huge hit and when someone from Abercrombie & Fitch in New York got ahold of one of the sets they contacted Joe Gerber about making more sets for sale at Abercrombie & Fitch.

That in a nutshell is the beginning of Gerber Legendary Blades. There were two very notable employees of Gerber Legendary Blades that went on to start their own companies; Pete Kershaw who started Kershaw Knives in 1974 and Al Mar, founder of Al Mar Knives. Al Mar was the Design Chief for Gerber before starting Al Mar Knives in 1979.

Gerber Legendary Blades helped to spawn the cutlery industry in Oregon which today includes: Gerber Legendary Blades, Al Mar Knives, Kershaw Knives, (including Shun and Zero Tolerance brands), Benchmade Knives, Leatherman Tool Group, and other companies.

Here is a YouTube video of an interview with Phil Rodenberg, the author of the book; "A Chronology of Gerber Legendary Blades 1939-1986." Phil ends the book in 1986 because that is when Gerber Legendary Blades was purchased by Fiskars a Finnish company.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJVv9_CREE[/youtube]

Welcome to AAPK's new Gerber Legendary Blades Forum!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Gerber History

Post by edge213 »

Thanks for posting Dale. I really enjoy reading about the history of cutlery companies.

Is Gerber still owned by Fiskars?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

edge213 wrote:Thanks for posting Dale. I really enjoy reading about the history of cutlery companies.

Is Gerber still owned by Fiskars?
I am glad you enjoy the history.
Yes, Gerber is still owned by Fiskars.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

Dale,

I'll add a little early Gerber history. In the 1930's David Murphy began building carving knives with blades fashioned from power hack saw blades and sold them in the Portland OR area. In 1939 Joseph Gerber Sr. gained possession of some of Murphy's knives and hatched the idea to present those knives as Christmas gifts to some of the customers of his advertising agency. Abercrombie & Fitch saw the knives and offered to place a significant order for "Gerber" knives. Production was suspended during World War 2, and when the business resumed Gerber and Murphy were no longer affiliated. The Abercrombie & Fitch set pictured is from 1945, have no dates on the handles, and are the earliest Gerbers I own. A & F remained Gerber's largest dealer for years. In 1951 Murphy won a lawsuit against Gerber which resulted in Gerber's redesigned "pointed" handle. Murphy knives also evolved with a more streamlined handle shape. Murphy went bankrupt in 1954, so the pictured trencher with carving set must fall into the 1945 to 1954 time frame. I love the steer head handles and the Murphy "brand" on the bottom of the board. For anyone fortunate enough to have a copy of Levine's #4, there is a wonderful photo of Joe Gerber and David Murphy on page 377.

I must take this opportunity to acknowledge and thank Bernard Levine and Phil Rotenberg for their priceless information on the Gerber company. I have also gleaned much information from a visit to Barteaux in Portland many years ago, from the advertising I've managed to accumulate, and from the knives themselves.
Attachments
A&F set.JPG
Trencher.JPG
Murphy Brand.JPG
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Great info!

Thanks fellas! ::handshake::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great info Mark!

I heard somewhere that Barteaux used to hangout at Murphy's shop and take all Murphy's old sanding belts and use them when Barteaux was just getting started making knives.
Can't remember where I heard that but it was from some here in the Portland area. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Just a little more on Gerber history. It has been suggested and it is true that Murphy ceased production of Gerber knives when Pearl was bombed and started building knives for the war effort. In late 45 Gerber started production for his own knives and Murphy continued with other endeavors. There were a few sets of Murphy knives left when the war started and those were sold to Gerber. 1939 is an important number to remember because it is used to explain The numbering system that started in 1948. It was the tenth year since Gerber initially started and therefore the date mark Gerber-10. It was a necessary mark because dealers did not want there holdover stock to be marked with 1946,1947 etc. Customers did not want last or previous year knives. As far as I know only Gerber 11 and Gerber 12 for 49 and 50 with the original 10 were so marked. I have been told there were Gerber-13 marked knives for 51 but have never seen one.
After the debacle with Jet and the new pointed handles began in 1951 they ceased any year I.D.. I agree with the idea of the lion handles not lending themselves to being plated with chrome. On top of plating problems the knives were pretty intricate and the plating would have filled in some intricacies. I cannot locate but I do somewhere have an A and F Lamb handled Gerber hunter with all the markings.
moss
ps: By the way Dale I just made a trade for a Ralph Turnbull fighting knife that sure smells of Randall. I think Turnbull is now designing some tacticals for Spyderco. I think it would have been pretty neat to have this gerber forum morphing into all of the Portland brands.
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
MUD

Post by MUD »

Looks like I found the right place!! Feller's, I've got at least a million questions, and don't know where to start. I've been kinda trying to get a little timeline of newer (but still pre Fiskars) Gerbers, mostly Blackies stuff. It's really confusing because of the tang stamp overlap going on (it may just be in my mind).
Anyway, I've gotta go to work to support my knife habit, y'all have a good day
History3-logos_product_main_large.jpg
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

Welcome Mr. MUD,

A couple of years ago I attempted to date some of my Blackie Collins designed Gerbers. The following is from my notes.

"Blackie" was the designer of the Bolt Action, the LST, and the Touche' folders. All three of the designs entered production in 1981, and variants of all three carried into the Fiskars era. Blade's Guide #7 states there were 51 variations of the Touche buckle knife, lists 15 variations of the Bolt Action, and 33 of the LST! Add a few short runs like the Speer/RCBS micarta LST knives and someone could build a collection of well over a hundred of these three folder models (with no duplicates)!

As to fixed blades, Collins designed the "Frisco Shiv" which was produced in several variations of single or double edge and handle material. According to Levine's #4, production ended in 1988. The Clip-Lock (River Knife) was also a Collins design which entered production in 1986 and continued well into the Fiskars era.

The third group of Collins designed or influenced knives are the models originally produced by Benchmark of Gastonia NC, the TAC-II fixed blade and the SSS-III (rolling lock folder). Blackie Collins was a partner in the Benchmark Co. which was acquired by Gerber in 1986. For a time, Gerber sold what were essentially Benchmark knives with Gerber logos.

I listed 51 Touches, 15 Bolt Actions, 33 LSTs, 7 Frisco Shivs,10 Clip-Locks, only 2 TAC-IIs, and 2 sizes of SSS-IIIs in stag, wood, or plastic handles for 6 of those. Add 'em up for a grand total of 124! Plus, throw in a few short run items, and the Blackie Collins/Gerber collection is going to eat up a bunch of money and a lot of display space.

Ah, ain't it fun?
MUD

Post by MUD »

IMG_20160816_060115.jpg
IMG_20160816_060351.jpg
IMG_20160815_091717516.jpg
IMG_20160815_163650.jpg
[attachment=0]IMG_20160815_163507.jpg[/attachment

Here we go!!!
I already had a Lot typed in but I hit the wrong button and BAM all go bye-bye.
Gotta redo later, time for work. Just got the sheath and lanyard yesterday from my sheath man. Working on one for my other Shiv now.
Y'all have a good day.
Attachments
IMG_20160815_163507.jpg
My name is Mud,
MUD

Post by MUD »

Now, here we go for real.
My wife asked me once 'How many do you need?'. I told her 'JUST the ones I ain't got, and maybe some more '. You almost hit it in the last post, almost.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've read a lot, heard even more, but y'all definitely know. I've even went to Fiskber(or Gerbar) and they only had vague answers that lead to more questions.
In 1981, Gerber came out with the LST. Two models (for lack of a better word) in two colors. The Classic and the Folding Sportsman I. Both in maroon and ivory micarta. They also made a black micarta in starting in 83
The FSI and the maroon Classic ceased production in 82, while the entire micarta line ceased production in 85.
I've heard and read that the replacement material was originally rynite (Bolt Action material, Ebony 81-82. Ivory 81-84) then zytel starting in 83 for both. The Bolt Action is easy to spot. Different handle, different caps, same knife but different. For the LST, not so. Or so I assume.
That's why I posted the pics. I know I'll probably NEVER get a definitive timeline on none of this, but I can't stop til I KNOW I can't do it. The Leupold sheath with the LST was found like that. I asked the guy if he bought it new and of course, 'Nope'. But he did find it with the sheath.
Knowing what kinda canoworms I d open if I asked at Gerber, I got in touch with a feller at Leupold. Didn't figure he'd answer back, BUT FMR HE DID! Forget his name, but he told me that he didn't know but he had tried to find anything about it and couldn't. He offered to do some digging in their archives (not just the computer but real treewood paper) but I told him (hoping he would) that I knew he was a busy man, I'd wasted enough of his valuable time, etc. Should've said O But Yes!!
He did tell me that a lady that worked there 40+ years remembered just such a thing in the 80s but not quick knife it was. Then I found the LST 500, with Leupold medallion on the side and all. Thing is, the sheath with the 500 is wider than the other one. Tried to see if it would fit not without a lil muscle.
I know I'm all p b er the place, but this has been my journey. All kinda crazy. The Leupold has the same blade design as the FSI that I've got and the Classics. So this one could possibly be a rynite handle (if everything is true) couldn't it.
See why I'm here. When I was younger, I got knives because they were cool. Didn't give a $#!+ about the history. But now... well I be been researching for like 2 years to get here. Man , I forgot! Gerber actually did send me what they had. I'll find it later and post.
This ain't just about the LST though, it's about all of the ones that aren't kitchen or MKII. I know there's alot I probably haven't read, but I didn't know about HERE til somebody I asked a question said have you been HERE.
I may be doing this in the wrong place too, or the wrong way. Haven't even looked for a r&r, just jumped in head first. Thanks for letting me in.
My name is Mud,
MUD

Post by MUD »

LST Product Information
In 1980, Blackie Collins' designed a knife for Gerber Legendary Blades named the LST®
(Light, Smooth, Tough). The LST® was the first folding knife to feature a one­piece 
injection molded Zytel® handles and feature a total of 5 parts.  Made in USA
LST® = Light, Smooth and Tough
Light = weights 1.5 oz.
Smooth = Oil­impregnated brass bushings that allow the blade to rotate easily
Tough = Durable Micarta side plates and 440­C Stainless Steel Blades.  Rc 57­59C
LST (Drop Point)  2 5/8” Drop­point Blade  Fine Edge  Checkered Rynite handle from DuPont Zytel®
 Length Open 6 1/8”  Length Closed 3.5”  Blade Thickness .100”  Weight 1.3 ounces  Clip introduced in 1992
 Lanyard Hole (except LST CL, FSI LST, FSI LST)
Model #LST CL Maroon 1980 ­ 1981
Model #FSI LST Maroon 1980 ­ 1981
Model #FSI I LST Ivory 1980 ­ 1981
Model #06006 – LST Classic Ivory 1980 ­ 1985
Model #06008 – LST Classic Black Micarta 1982 ­ 1985
Model #06027 – LST Orange 1986 ­ 1988
Model #46009 – LST Black 1982 ­ 2013
Model #06026 – LST Camo 1986 ­ 1991
Model #06029 – LST Red 1988 ­ 1996
Model #06180 – LST Realtree (Black Fine Edge Blade) 1992 ­ 1993
Model #06015 – LST Black (Black Fine edge Blade) 1992 ­ 1992
Model #06020 – LST Red (Black Fine Edge Blade) 1992 ­ 1992
My name is Mud,
MUD

Post by MUD »

LST (Drop Point)  2 5/8” Drop­point Blade  Serrated Edge  Checkered Rynite handle from DuPont Zytel®
 Length Open 6 1/8”  Length Closed 3.5”  Blade Thickness .100”  Weight 1.3 ounces  Clip introduced in 1992
 Lanyard Hole
Model #22­06024 – LST Black 2000 ­ 2006
LST (Drop Point with Sheath)
Model #06040 – LST Black 1988 ­ 1988
Model #06041 – LST Camouflage 1988 ­ 1988
Model #06042 – LST Orange 1988 ­ 1988
Model #06043 – LST Red 1988 ­ 1988
LST (Clip Point)  2 5/8” Drop­point Blade  Fine Edge  Checkered Rynite handle from DuPont Zytel®
 Lanyard Hole
Model #06016 – LST Black 1991 ­ 1996
Model #06022 – LST Black (Black Blade) 1992 ­ 1992
My name is Mud,
MUD

Post by MUD »

ULTRALIGHT
 2” Drop­point Blade  Fine Edge  Length Open 4 ¾”  Length closed 2 ¾”  Blade thickness .080”  Weight 0.60 ounces
Model #46050 – Ultralight LST® Black 1986 ­ 2013
Model #06053 – Ultralight LST® Red 1986 ­ 1993
Model #06055 – Ultralight LST® Blue 1986 ­ 1993
FIELDLIGHT
 3” Drop­point Blade  Fine Edge  Length Open 7”  Length closed 4”  Blade thickness .100”  Weight 2.5 ounces
Model #20285 – Fieldlight (SS III) 1986 ­ 1989
MAGNUM LST
 3 1/2” Drop­point Blade  Length Open 8 1/8”  Length closed 4 5/8”  Blade thickness .125”  Weight 4.2 ounces  Sheath
Model #06038 – Magnum LST (Fine Edge) 1989 ­ 2010
Model #06014 – Magnum LST (Serrated Edge) 1991 ­ 2010
Model #06168 – Magnum LST Realtree (Fine Edge, Black Blade) 1992 ­ 1993
Model #06944 – Magnum LST Camo (Fine Edge 2003 ­ 2010
My name is Mud,
MUD

Post by MUD »

MAGNUM LST JUNIOR
 2 3/4” Drop­point Blade  Length Open 6 1/4”  Length closed 3 1/2”  Blade thickness .100”  Weight 3.2 ounces
Model #06058 – Magnum LST Jr (Fine Edge) 1989 ­ 2011
Model #06017 – Magnum LST Jr (Serrated Edge) 1991 – 1991
Model #06170 – Magnum LST Jr (Fine Edge, Black Blade) 1992 – 1993
Model #06051 – Magnum LST Jr (Serrated Edge) 2000 – 2010
Model #06943 – Magnum LST Jr Camo (Fine Edge) 2003 – 2011
MICROLIGHT LST
 1 3/4” High Carbon Stainless Steel Drop­point Blade  Fine Edge  Length Open 3 3/4”  Length closed 2”  Blade thickness .080”  Weight .04 ounces
Model #22­ 06095 – Microlight LST Black 1989 ­ 2006
Model #06091 – Microlight LST Red 1989 ­ 1993
Model #06092 – Microlight LST Blue 1989 ­ 1993
Model #06093 – Microlight LST Green 1989 ­ 1992
Model #06094 – Microlight LST Pink 1989 – 1992
Model #06088 – Microlight LST Yellow 1990 – 1990
Model #06087 – Microlight LST Purple 1990 ­ 1990
LST II  1 3/4” High Carbon Stainless Steel Drop­point Blade  Fine Edge  Length Open 3 3/4”  Length closed 2”  Blade thickness .080”  Weight .04 ounces
Model #06990 – LST II Black 2002 – 2010
Model #06974 – LST II Grey 2002 ­ 2010
My name is Mud,
MUD

Post by MUD »

Took a minute for me to find, but here ya are. Can't understand the rynite made from zytel thing. I thought they were different, from what I've read. That's the word from Gerber.
Y'all have a good day.
My name is Mud,
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

When did the Gator come out I picked up mine 20 years ago at a closeout sale.
Keep Near the Cross.
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I've got an LST II (discontinued) with a 2 5/8" blade, thumb stud, slightly different shaped Zytel handle with rubber inserts. Great knife! But what's the story? Why were they discontinued? Shoulda bought more while I had the chance.
Perception is Reality
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

3 of the greats from Gerber International, Pete Kershaw, Al Mar and Blackie Collins, the contributions these gentleman made to the cutlery industry are undeniable, their emerging styles honed while working for Gerber followed them and became evident in their own knives later. Look at a Gerber Silver Knight and tell me you don't see Al Mar's influence or Blackie's AO influences, his use of plastics to reduce cost and improve manufacturing quality. Kershaw's experimenting with different materials and production procedures, his departure from traditionals shapes and silhouettes are all evident in their (Kerhaw's) knives made while employed at Gerber and while working for himself. If I'm not mistaken Pete is the only one left, both Al Mar and Blackie Collins are gone, Blackie died in 2011 in a motorcycle accident and Al Mar died in 1992 from an aneurysm.
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
bertl

Post by bertl »

I have some information about tang stamps and dates for the Silver Knight 250. I don't remember where I got it but I would like opinions about whether or not the information seems more or less correct. Here it is:

Gerber/By Sakai (prototype late 1976 or early 1977)
Gerber Portland, Oregon 97233 USA /Silver Eagle by Sakai.Japan(1977-1978)
Gerber Portland, OR/ Silver Knight by Sakai. Japan (1979-1980)
Gerber International/Silver Knight Japan (1981-1986)
Gerber/Silver Knight Japan (1987-1994)

Bert
MUD

Post by MUD »

6718.jpeg
6728.jpeg
6730.jpeg
6726.jpeg
6725.jpeg
My name is Mud,
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is cool info Mud! ::tu::
Where did you find it?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

MUD

Post by MUD »

orvet wrote:That is cool info Mud! ::tu::
Where did you find it?

Well sir, quite a few years ago I made the acquaintance of a gentleman that works for Gerber. He was in customer relations/warranty back then and ever since... I'll just say he has moved way up in the food chain and we are still good friends.

When I had to get a new phone, the 4 page history got lost somewhere. Possibly the cloud it was in or on blew away or it came a storm. The only reason I found out is the questions that hard.time asked. So I asked for another.

I'd posted the info awhile back, but figured I'd post the original I got from Gerber. He also included the copy of the late 70s-early 80s literature that came with your new knife. Didn't expect that.

The Classic and FS1 are what the original micarta LST's were modeled after. They came out in 1980. The Zytel injection molded LST came in 82. The LST still looks like the FS1. I guess he figured that it'd be cool to see the beginning and he was right.
My name is Mud,
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

Thanks Mud. Great information. And, please thank your friend at Gerber on behalf of all Gerber "nuts".

Mark
MUD

Post by MUD »

Hopefully I'll get this right.

Found this the other day.
https://blademag.com/knife-collecting/h ... es-forever

Figured I'd go ahead n make a hat trick outta LST info.

I reckon after almost 40 years with no major changes, they got the 'pizzazz' they were looking for.
My name is Mud,

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”