Is this sheath original to my Gerber FH-1... I think it's a FH1?

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
petey20

Is this sheath original to my Gerber FH-1... I think it's a FH1?

Post by petey20 »

Came across this fancy little sheath and was amazed to find a basically untouched Gerber which i believe is an FH-1... I could not find a single sheath that looked anything like this one and basically found it hard to believe someone would take a nice new knife and store it away in so other random sheath.. but who knows. I am sure someone here can help me more than google has..haha. Also, how do you date these older Gerber knifes, they ALL seem to have the same markings to me? Thanks in advance... Newer to this this forum and have been going through boxes of knives that were left to me and I caught the fever...
DSC_0609.JPG
DSC_0585.JPG
DSC_0604.JPG
DSC_0611.JPG
DSC_0617.JPG
mrwatch

Re: Is this sheath original to my Gerber FH-1... I think it's a FH1?

Post by mrwatch »

I found one listed on Etsy.com nice Sportsman II model knife made by Gerber in Solingen Germany, The company name Gerber and home office Portland OR with zip code.
MUD

Post by MUD »

Howdo and welcome sir,

From what I see, you definitely have an FS1 from the mid 80s (85-86) to the mid 90s when Gerber ceased production.
The sheath looks right, more than likely an award for years of service, safety, etc. The badge/medallion is normally on the knife, from what I've seen.
Looks like it's in great shape. Be careful how you store it, I'd advise in plastic (sandwich baggies are what I use) if you keep it in the sheath. The chemicals used in tanning aren't good for the metal and leather draws moisture. Rust is the enemy and must die :D
That's​ what I do, not saying I'm 100% right, but I haven't had any problems.
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I would say the sheath is original. Gerber Sportsman model folding hunters are very often found with company logos affixed to the head end of the frame. Many of these logos are precious metal with small gem stones. The logo affixed to the sheath is the same as many of these logos with the exception of the logo design itself being different as they vary from company to company.

For some reason it appears that rather than attaching the logo to the knife the logo in this case was placed on the sheath. I don't believe I have ever seen another example like this.

I am unsure how these award knives were contracted through Gerber or a third party but there quite a few of them out there. Since they were given as service, safety, production, sales awards and the like they were often put away and preserved as keepsakes.

Nice knife and sheath is great condition!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”