Gerber History

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
MUD

Re: Gerber History

Postby MUD » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:04 am

Took a minute for me to find, but here ya are. Can't understand the rynite made from zytel thing. I thought they were different, from what I've read. That's the word from Gerber.
Y'all have a good day.
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told

deltaboy

Postby deltaboy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:26 pm

When did the Gator come out I picked up mine 20 years ago at a closeout sale.
Keep Near the Cross.

AR Norby

Postby AR Norby » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:47 pm

I've got an LST II (discontinued) with a 2 5/8" blade, thumb stud, slightly different shaped Zytel handle with rubber inserts. Great knife! But what's the story? Why were they discontinued? Shoulda bought more while I had the chance.
Perception is Reality

TheMadHungarian

Postby TheMadHungarian » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:37 am

3 of the greats from Gerber International, Pete Kershaw, Al Mar and Blackie Collins, the contributions these gentleman made to the cutlery industry are undeniable, their emerging styles honed while working for Gerber followed them and became evident in their own knives later. Look at a Gerber Silver Knight and tell me you don't see Al Mar's influence or Blackie's AO influences, his use of plastics to reduce cost and improve manufacturing quality. Kershaw's experimenting with different materials and production procedures, his departure from traditionals shapes and silhouettes are all evident in their (Kerhaw's) knives made while employed at Gerber and while working for himself. If I'm not mistaken Pete is the only one left, both Al Mar and Blackie Collins are gone, Blackie died in 2011 in a motorcycle accident and Al Mar died in 1992 from an aneurysm.
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.

bertl

Postby bertl » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:06 pm

I have some information about tang stamps and dates for the Silver Knight 250. I don't remember where I got it but I would like opinions about whether or not the information seems more or less correct. Here it is:

Gerber/By Sakai (prototype late 1976 or early 1977)
Gerber Portland, Oregon 97233 USA /Silver Eagle by Sakai.Japan(1977-1978)
Gerber Portland, OR/ Silver Knight by Sakai. Japan (1979-1980)
Gerber International/Silver Knight Japan (1981-1986)
Gerber/Silver Knight Japan (1987-1994)

Bert

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”