Dumb Nuubie Questions

A place to ask and answer "How do I" questions and post tips & tricks that make your AAPK experience easier and more pleasant. Some little thing that you do all the time and take for granted may be an "aha moment" for a new or maybe even a veteran AAPK user.
jonbowie

Dumb Nuubie Questions

Post by jonbowie »

Hello All, First I would like to thank All involved for the great stuff on the forum and the opportunity to access it as a guest. I am new here so please forgive silly questions. I am curious about the store. The vast majority of the items seem to be "sold out", so why continue to post many pages of them? I suppose it's helpful in judging value of similar items, but only if we assume they sold for the posted price. Is that the case? Also, how old are some of these listings?
Thanks for any and all replies,
Jon
TPK

Re: Dumb Nuubie Questions

Post by TPK »

jonbowie wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:58 pm Hello All, First I would like to thank All involved for the great stuff on the forum and the opportunity to access it as a guest. I am new here so please forgive silly questions. I am curious about the store. The vast majority of the items seem to be "sold out", so why continue to post many pages of them? I suppose it's helpful in judging value of similar items, but only if we assume they sold for the posted price. Is that the case? Also, how old are some of these listings?
Thanks for any and all replies,
Jon
Hello Jon and ::welcome:: to the AAPK! ::handshake::

Yes, it is helpful in judging the value. Yes they did sell for that price. Not sure if the shipping is included in that price. I believe shipping has to be added to that price shown. ::hmm::

I find it good that we see the sold items, especially for new collectors like me and here is an example.

If you are looking for a Purina knife and you use the search word "Purina". You will find all the knives sold here that were made for Purina. Uticas, Schrades & Remingtons. Someone newer like me may not even know who made the knives for Purina before they find one. So for me, it also has a teaching function about it. IMO. Hope that makes some kind of sense. :mrgreen:

Take Care & Stay Safe, ::handshake::
Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

At one time any sold items were purged. As I recall the decision to leave them was at request of the members, who wanted them left as a reference point for "what's the value" of a knife they have or are seeking to buy. Which is one of the more frequently asked questions here.

I've learned to watch for the little "sold" notice on listings.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK Jon! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Welcome to this great group ::tu:: I think that's a good idea leaving stuff up for price reference ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I wondered the same thing, but later decided it might be a good
reference esp for a more rare knife. Also, I think when you do
a search you can limit the find to ones that are not sold yet and
they are listed first.

Bob
just bob

Post by just bob »

A bit of advise I can give to anyone that is considering opening a store. If you don't want completed items in your store delete them as you go. I have about 5 pages of sold items and you have to go through and delete them one at a time and it is a slow process. There are no boxes beside the items you can check and delete multiple items at the same time like there is in the inbox on messages. I am trying to do 5 - 10 at a time until I get all of mine deleted. If there was a message sent out to purge these old items I must have slept through it. I don't recall seeing it. Trust me - delete as you go. It will save you time.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Not sure how long there have been stores on AAPK, but when I joined back in 2018 and opened my store here the item numbers were in the mid 20,000’s. It’s now over 52,000. So one way to know how old something is to look at the item number. I don’t think that many folks here realize that the items numbers are in order since the first item number was listed. I use the sold listings to help figure out prices. I know instantly when I see a low item number that the price is from many years ago and probably not an accurate representation of current prices. It does help you figure out trends on knife prices. Plus some of the details that sellers include can help you to learn about knives. I try to help educate and give details that I think will help a collector to learn.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I do try to delete items sold from my store and keep it down to a page or two. I understand it can be a pricing aid but also think it can add to confusion. Buyers aren't always interested in seeing items they can't purchase. I don't delete items as soon as they are sold because the buyer can no longer see the item and if there is a problem with delivery or the sale it is good to have the item still in que.

I would guess that there are way more sold items in stores than items for sale. If you click on any specific brand you can see that listings are full of items that can't be purchased. It would be good if the sold items could be kept under a separate heading to be viewed by people interested in seeing sold prices and not seen by people wanting to buy.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
jonbowie

Post by jonbowie »

Hey All Jonbowie again, thanks to all for the great and quick replies and welcome waves. I see that this is something that folks have put some thought into. I can see the value of having these items as a value guide. How about dates on when they sold? Is there a way to tell? Someone mentions the listing numbers as an indicator of time, when was listing #1?
Thanks Again,
Jon
Jamescot

Post by Jamescot »

ok this is driving me crazy
I mostly look for Case Info
last night I was on AAPK and was able to very easily find a box that when opened I could find a list of years to choose from
Picking 1970 when opened there were all the 1970s knife prices.
to day the box is gone .
also another box that I can't seem to find today is the one where you put 6233 case pattern and when opened there is a page with all case 6233 with pricing where did it go?
another odd thing is my link to AAPK that I have had on a upper bookmark BAR at top of my computer screen when clicked on take me AAPK page with this note in middle of the page
The page you requested cannot be found!
The page you requested cannot be found.
next to it there is a continue box when I hit it take me to your home page with all the missing features as describe above.
What should i do?
JW
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Jamescot wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:26 am ok this is driving me crazy
I mostly look for Case Info
last night I was on AAPK and was able to very easily find a box that when opened I could find a list of years to choose from
Picking 1970 when opened there were all the 1970s knife prices.
to day the box is gone .
also another box that I can't seem to find today is the one where you put 6233 case pattern and when opened there is a page with all case 6233 with pricing where did it go?
another odd thing is my link to AAPK that I have had on a upper bookmark BAR at top of my computer screen when clicked on take me AAPK page with this note in middle of the page
The page you requested cannot be found!
The page you requested cannot be found.
next to it there is a continue box when I hit it take me to your home page with all the missing features as describe above.
What should i do?
JW
You probably missed this discussion viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78257. Hope it helps answer your questions. If your bookmark was to the price guide, the fact it’s gone is probably the reason your computer can no longer find the page. Recommend you replace it with a bookmark to another AAPK page.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Jamescot

Post by Jamescot »

I'm Glad to get some good information
Thought I had lost my mind which happens every other day LOL
JW

Return to “AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods”