How to link from web site to a post???

A place to ask and answer "How do I" questions and post tips & tricks that make your AAPK experience easier and more pleasant. Some little thing that you do all the time and take for granted may be an "aha moment" for a new or maybe even a veteran AAPK user.
jwwood

How to link from web site to a post???

Post by jwwood »

I don't have any problem attaching pictures to a post but recently had to ask for someone else to put an Ebay link to a new topic I started. How do I put the link to another web site in my post??? ::shrug::
Thanks,
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How to link from web site to a post???

Post by Mumbleypeg »

eBay can be a little tricky. I’ve learned I can’t (or at least haven’t figured out how to) capture a link from the eBay app. So I open eBay in a web browser from www.eBay.com, then copy the link from there. From a PC, put your cursor in the address and right click, then select copy. When you click copy that copies the link onto the clipboard. From an iPad, touch and hold the address until you see the “copy” box, then click it, which likewise copies the link to your clipboard.

After you’ve copied the link, when typing text on a PC, when your cursor is at the point where you want to insert the link (the URL), right click, select “paste” and click on it. That should insert what you have copied. On an iPad, put your cursor where you want to insert the link and hold it with your finger for a second or two. When you remove your finger a box will open. Click “paste”.

That’s what works for me anyway. Hope it makes sense. There may be other ways to do it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Ken. You did a good job 'splainin that Lucy.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Like Ken says, more than one way to skin a cat. Here's how I post ebay item links. At the top right of every ebay item page is a little "envelope" icon where you can e-mail the item page to anybody. I e-mail it to myself and in my e-mail it will have a short blue highlighted link to the page. I highlight the link with my cursor and simply go to "edit" at the top of my computer and hit "copy". Then I go to AAPK, start my post and go back to "edit" and hit "paste" which installs the link in the post. Sounds complicated but doesn't take long. Maybe less complicated than Ken's solution, just a matter of preference I suppose. I am using a MAC computer.

On any page if I want to post a link I go to "file" at the top of my screen and select "e-mail link", the link then appears and I highlight it with my cursor and go to "edit" and hit "copy". The link is saved and when I post I simply go back to "edit" and hit "paste" and the link appears in the post. It has been a long time since I used Windows but they also have a "file" and an "edit" option on every page if I remember correctly.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just highlight the 'address bar' ? at the top of the page with the listing and then press on control and c and the press control and v to put the link into my AAPK post.
Or am i misunderstanding the question ?
kj
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:47 pm I just highlight the 'address bar' ? at the top of the page with the listing and then press on control and c and the press control and v to put the link into my AAPK post.
kj
That's what I do.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Steve Warden wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:30 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:47 pm I just highlight the 'address bar' ? at the top of the page with the listing and then press on control and c and the press control and v to put the link into my AAPK post.
kj
That's what I do.
Me, too. And you can paste it anywhere, not just in a forum post. (Like into a Word.docx or into the text of an email. eg.)
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

I believe I can do this. I'm going to try to put a knife here that I've been watching on Ebay. Thanks everybody for your help.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124485820831?s ... 1555.l2649
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jwwood wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:32 am I believe I can do this. I'm going to try to put a knife here that I've been watching on Ebay. Thanks everybody for your help.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124485820831?s ... 1555.l2649
Good job! The link works fine for me. ::tu::
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The only thing I would add is when you link another site please also post a picture or pictures of the knife being linked. That way a few weeks from now when the eBay (or other) link has expired or been taken down, the knife being discussed can still be seen here. ::tu:: Which will be greatly appreciated by anybody reading the post at that time. Nothing more frustrating than reading comments about a knife you can’t see. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Or someone could come along and do it for you.
(click on image to see it full size)
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry, how do you get the entire page to show up here ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:43 am Jerry, how do you get the entire page to show up here ?
kj
I use the Microsoft snipping tool; I know that Win 10 supports it but maybe the earlier OS do also?
snip.JPG
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

Jerry, now that is an attachment and not a link, correct? Did you have to save as something to your computer and then attach to the post? Then when the Ebay item ends you will still have? Thanks Jw
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have the "snipping tool" icon but do not how how to use it. Can it snip a whole page as well as just a section of it ? And then how do you insert the snipped part into a post or email ?
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

jwwood wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:02 am Jerry, now that is an attachment and not a link, correct? Did you have to save as something to your computer and then attach to the post? Then when the Ebay item ends you will still have? Thanks Jw
Yes, it's an attachment.

I'm still running Windows 7 and don't know squat about Windows 10.
First I hit the "Print Screen" on my keyboard.
722462-104-keys-pc-keyboard-layout-Marked.jpg
Then I open MS Paint which has come automatically on all Windows PC's since Christ was a Corporal.
Next I hit Ctrl-V to paste the saved image into Paint
Next I click on "Crop"
Next I position my cursor on the upper left corner of the image I want to cut out of the page and press and hold my left mouse button.
Next I drag the cursor so it outlines the image I want to save and once I get it outlined to my satisfaction, I release the mouse button.
Next I click on "Crop" again to execute the action.
Next I click on the blue block in the upper left corner
Save.jpg
Next I choose "Save As" , then choose "Jpeg" and save it to a folder in my Windows Explorer
Ta Da ---- I hope that's clear. Let me know if it isn't.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Good info. Here are some instrux for the snipping tool.
snip001.jpg
snip002.jpg
snip003.jpg
snip004.jpg

Return to “AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods”