How to fix a snapped pin?

A place to ask and answer "How do I" questions and post tips & tricks that make your AAPK experience easier and more pleasant. Some little thing that you do all the time and take for granted may be an "aha moment" for a new or maybe even a veteran AAPK user.
Levans

How to fix a snapped pin?

Post by Levans »

Hello.
I’d like to fix my husbands knife, as it was his grandfathers and he loves it. It recently broke; the pin snapped. Where can I get a replacement pin? Is this something that is easily fixed? I am in Australia.
Thank you.
Attachments
976340EA-1000-4BB1-B3F0-A045A139D165.jpeg
B82985AC-424B-47B1-8B73-B15E2A331109.jpeg
22B8A27A-8C5F-4134-9956-002558CDEFAA.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How to fix a snapped pin?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Looks like a knife definitely worth fixing! There is a subforum here all about knife repair and there are several skilled knife mechanics that are members here who could repair your husband's knife. You can see examples of their work in the Knife Repair and Restoration subforum.viewforum.php?f=48. Recommend you post your knife and questions there with a request for help.

If you're thinking of doing the repair yourself, there are some tutorials in the Knife Related Tutorials subforum. Unless you're very adept at something like this you probably should get a couple of old "junk" knives of similar construction to practice on first, before attempting repairing your keepsake knife. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ea42

Re: How to fix a snapped pin?

Post by ea42 »

Greetings! That's a pretty rare sight to see a bolster pin break like that. It's definitely not an easy fix for someone with no knife repair experience. You may find someone from Australia on this site who can do the repair, but if not I'd be happy to do it for you if you're willing to pay the postage as I'm in the U.S.

Eric

Return to “AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods”