how do I re-save my .tif files as .jpgs?

A place to ask and answer "How do I" questions and post tips & tricks that make your AAPK experience easier and more pleasant. Some little thing that you do all the time and take for granted may be an "aha moment" for a new or maybe even a veteran AAPK user.
tongueriver

how do I re-save my .tif files as .jpgs?

Post by tongueriver »

How do I re-save my .tif files as jpgs, so that I can post them here? I saved a bunch of important negatives from my medium format camera setup as .tif files so that I supposedly could print them BIG with less loss. May have been a mistake.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: how do I re-save my .tif files as .jpgs?

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Cal - are you using Windows? What version? Microsoft Paint, which is included with Windows 7, can open a .tif file and save as a .jpg file.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

There are a couple of ways at your disposal.

1st - Open the file in Microsoft Paint and do a Save As and choose .jpg
WARNING - any transparency in the image will be lost (you get a warning message)
You will still have your original .tiff image so there's nothing to lose by trying this. It's simple and it's quick.

2nd - There's a free online program that will convert the file for you ---► https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg
WARNING - There is an ad right where you start the conversion process that makes it look like it's part of the converter. You can recognize these ads by the bluish 'X' in the corner of the box. IGNORE - IGNORE - IGNORE
Attachments
Convert Ad.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks for the quick tutorial. I have Win 10 but I think I also have PAINT. I am tuckered out but will try it in a day or two.

Return to “AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods”