Knife Cleaning

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Knife Cleaning

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some of the more frequently asked questions here on AAPK concern cleaning of knives. "Should I clean my knife?" "How much should I clean my knife?" "How do I clean my knife?"

These or similar questions are frequently asked by new collectors. Here are links to some threads that address these questions. As you will see there are occassional differing opinions. Read these posts, and then decide what is right for your knife. For those folks wanting to learn more, additional posts on the subject may be found by using the AAPK search engine.

"Should I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51009&p=548642&hilit=Cleaning

"How much should I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48441&hilit=Cleaning

"How do I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=37&t=50318&hilit=Cleaning

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=47909&p=495555&hil ... e+cleaning

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dmgibs1

Re: Knife Cleaning

Post by dmgibs1 »

Thank you, I did a lot of reading. Most of these are sticky and have buildup in the grooves and joints. I saw a lot of opinions about how much cleaning to do. I intend on making them "clean", removing corrosion, and leaving patina. I will start with the dish soap to clean off the sticky and go from there. I am a beginner, so any recommendations are welcome. I will be back if I get stuck.
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:00 pm Some of the more frequently asked questions here on AAPK concern cleaning of knives. "Should I clean my knife?" "How much should I clean my knife?" "How do I clean my knife?"

These or similar questions are frequently asked by new collectors. Here are links to some threads that address these questions. As you will see there are occassional differing opinions. Read these posts, and then decide what is right for your knife. For those folks wanting to learn more, additional posts on the subject may be found by using the AAPK search engine.

"Should I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51009&p=548642&hilit=Cleaning

"How much should I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48441&hilit=Cleaning

"How do I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=37&t=50318&hilit=Cleaning

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=47909&p=495555&hil ... e+cleaning

Ken
Ken thanks for those links. I have been happily reading
Through those and others. You all are a wealth of knife knowledge.

Ross
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/
TrickyRick

Post by TrickyRick »

Glad I read all the way through this thread, I'm responsible now for my dad's collection, and haven't inventoried yet. Think I would have probably treated his knives just as I do my chisels and plane blades. Probably would not be a good thing to do with my dad's collection of knives.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”