Post a Link as Clickable Text

A place to ask and answer "How do I" questions and post tips & tricks that make your AAPK experience easier and more pleasant. Some little thing that you do all the time and take for granted may be an "aha moment" for a new or maybe even a veteran AAPK user.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post a Link as Clickable Text

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dennis (deo-pa) asked in another thread how to make a URL clickable text. Here it is. Do a reply with quotes to this post to see the nuts and bolts of the procedure although the bottom line should be enough.

This is a sample: Click Here to see El Paso Texas Crime Rates.

Put your url here[/b]]Put your text here

Edit: I'm sorry I didn't explain where to get the URL (address) to insert right after the first bracket - [

I don't think I can get it any more simple than this.
Attachments
Screen Shot Labeled.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Re: Post a Link as Clickable Text

Post by Tsar Bomba »

In the editor, if you click the "URL" button with your desired display text for the link highlighted, it will place the bbcode tags for you and you can simply manually add the "=http://blahblah.com" portion inside the first set of brackets. If you surround the text of a link with the "url" tag, however, it will just show the display text as the URL itself.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tsar Bomba wrote: If you surround the text of a link with the "url" tag, however, it will just show the display text as the URL itself.
If I'm not mistaken, that's what Dennis had in mind. We'll have to ask him.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I do believe in phpbb it is a configurable option. Some implementations give you the option to use a pop-up box asking for the URL as input, so it builds the whole [url] tag set by itself. It's probably good not to overcomplicate some functions, however, considering the more informal nature of our clientele, right? :mrgreen:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would love to know how to do this but i do not understand what is being said. Even "URL" i'm unsure of; is this the line at the top of the screen that starts with "https".
Can it be explained without assuming reader knows computer lingo ? i.e. explain without the computer 'lingo' ?
thanks, kj
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I hope that I can remember this stuff. I learned it many years ago...
Put your text here

URL: Uniform resource locator which is the address that begins http://
http:// hyper text transfer protocol, this is the address that you want your text to take you.

The first bracket at the beginning of url indicates the start program line. Then the = sign tells the program the address to go to when the line is clicked. The next bracket closes that portion of the code. It also hides the url so that it wont be seen. Your text is next and appears in place of the hidden url. The next bracket starts another command code. In this case /url and the last bracket which ends the line of code. The / indicates end of the url code.
Dang now my brain hurts. I am pretty sure its right, but I did it all from memory and should be held suspect ::nod::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you. BIG Help !
So you put a bracket, then =, then the copied URL, then another bracket ?
then type in whatever text you want, then bracket, then / and then ?? just type in "url" ? or put in the full copied url same as before the text ?
kj
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

KJ after the / just type url like so, [/url]
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The OP (original post) has been modified (updated with new information) to attempt to remedy my failure to explain what a URL (internet address) is. Please let me know if it needs further simplification.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Randy, thanks for this additional info. Now i do understand !
And Jerry your original post with instructions was clear to probably 99% of those who read it. Now with the extra info even i understand fully so anyone can, 100%. Thanks for your patience & effort to help me.
kj

Return to “AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods”