just curious... "active topic"?...categories

A place to ask and answer "How do I" questions and post tips & tricks that make your AAPK experience easier and more pleasant. Some little thing that you do all the time and take for granted may be an "aha moment" for a new or maybe even a veteran AAPK user.
313 Mike

just curious... "active topic"?...categories

Post by 313 Mike »

Just curious...
When I am browsing AAPK I usually will use the little pull down menu in the top left corner, and go through the different categories listed there. But what exactly determines if a topic is an " active topic"? I would assume from the name that it would be a topic that is currently getting alot of posts, but there are some topics that never seem to show up there, despite receiving a large amount of activity.
I know that threads I have posted in will appear under "your posts", but even when some of those are apparently quite active, they don't appear under "active topics".
And what about "unread posts" ? What determines which topics end up there? Is that only topics where the last post has not been read by anyone at all yet? If there is an unread post in an otherwise active topic, which category will it fall into?
...and while I'm here, what about "new posts"? Wouldn't that essentially be the same as an unread post? Or can a post still be considered "new" even when it is no longer "unread"?

I know these are trifling questions of minimal importance...I just have been curious for some time now, and have off work this morning so thought I would put it out there. I usually just check all of the categories to make sure I don't miss anything anyway! :lol:
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: just curious... "active topic"?...categories

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mike as far as "Active Topics" go, I don't know what the criteria is for those links. I never go there.

"Unanswered Topics" -- Since the last time someone has posted in a thread, NO ONE ELSE has posted in that thread. The topic (thread) may have been read but no one has responded to it. Once someone posts in a thread in that list, the thread disappears off the list.

"Unread Posts" -- Are posts YOU haven't read yet. Once you read a post, it disappears off that list.

"New Posts" -- Are just that. A general list of posts read by you or read by anybody or unread by anybody including you. That's where I go whenever I click on AAPK up on my favorites bar. It's my most used AAPK link. Why threads disappear off of this list is a mystery to me. I think it has something to do with a setting in the forum software.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
313 Mike

Re: just curious... "active topic"?...categories

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks for the insights Jerry. Still unclear in the Active Topics, if anyone else has anything to add or discuss that would be great.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.

Return to “AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods”