delete postings on the "advertisement" listing

A place to ask and answer "How do I" questions and post tips & tricks that make your AAPK experience easier and more pleasant. Some little thing that you do all the time and take for granted may be an "aha moment" for a new or maybe even a veteran AAPK user.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

delete postings on the "advertisement" listing

Post by terryl308 »

How do I or is it possible to delete old listings on the Advertisement forum (items that didn't sell). thanks, Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: delete postings on the "advertisement" listing

Post by philco »

Terry if no one has posted after your post you should be able to click the X and delete the post. If someone has posted after your post, you might try editing your original post to say something like "No longer available". If none of that works, send me a PM with a link to your thread and I'll edit the original post for you.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

philco wrote:Terry if no one has posted after your post you should be able to click the X and delete the post. If someone has posted after your post, you might try editing your original post to say something like "No longer available". If none of that works, send me a PM with a link to your thread and I'll edit the original post for you.
Philco, got it "no longer available", thanks, couldn't find the "x" your were talking about. I just thought it would be a good idea to get rid of old posts to keep from clogging up the thread. They post I was trying to get rid of was put on July 21st 2016 and is called "Landenberger custom skinner". ::handshake::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Terry, you can delete your post within the first 48 hours or before someone posts after you during that 48 hours. Once someone posts after you or 48 hours passes since you posted the 'X' you can use to delete the post, disappears.

You can edit a post during the first 48 hours, after which the edit button disappears.

Deleting posts after the first 48 hours can only be done by a person with Mod/Admin privileges and is discouraged because the post becomes part of the history of the thread. Deleting a post may make some subsequent post or posts become nonsensical.
Attachments
Edit, Delete, Report & Quote Post.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Deleting a post may make some subsequent post or posts become nonsensical.
I'm hereby claiming this as the excuse for my posts, past and future! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote: Deleting a post may make some subsequent post or posts become nonsensical.
I'm hereby claiming this as the excuse for my posts, past and future! :lol:

Ken
You crack me up Ken.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rather than deleting a "post" can an entire "For Sale" thread be deleted ?
I have many "For Sale" threads some with only one knife for sale, some with 2 or 3 for sale. Once they have been there for 3 months if there has been no intertest shown, i would like to delete the entire thread.
Can i do this ?
Or this: bring an old "For Sale" thread back to top of page 1, just as if i was making a new thread for that knife ?
Most of us look at page 1 in "Advertisements" and one your knife listings gets back a page or two they are hardly ever viewed.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

kootenay joe wrote: Once they have been there for 3 months if there has been no intertest shown, i would like to delete the entire thread.
Can i do this ?
It takes Admin privileges to do that.

Or this: bring an old "For Sale" thread back to top of page 1, just as if i was making a new thread for that knife ?
Most of us look at page 1 in "Advertisements" and one your knife listings gets back a page or two they are hardly ever viewed.
You can post a "bump" post and bring it back to the top. Depending on the thread, some can be brought back to the top using the method posted here ---> http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 98&t=48819
kj
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This post is a test of the amount of time allowed for deleting a post and for editing a post.

Please do not post in this thread until the test is over.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Okay, the test is over and I forgot all about it. Thank goodness Dimitri came riding in on his trusty steed and saved me. He says both the delete and edit times are set to 2880 minutes which is 48 hours.

So there you have it. After you make your post, you have 48 hours to edit it or delete it except you can't delete it after someone makes a subsequent post.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote:Rather than deleting a "post" can an entire "For Sale" thread be deleted ?
I have many "For Sale" threads some with only one knife for sale, some with 2 or 3 for sale. Once they have been there for 3 months if there has been no intertest shown, i would like to delete the entire thread.
Can i do this ?
kj
Roland, to bring your old thread back to the top just do a reply to your post, type "Bump" in the text box and submit it. That's the commonly accepted method to bring an old post back to the top. You'll see that done occasionally in the Advertisements thread, for the reasons you stated.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Ken.
I did not know that a new post bumped the thread. Often this is not allowed as a few 'greedy' posters can dominate by continually bumping their own threads. However it certainly does not get abused here. AAPK'ers are good people !
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Interesting. Of all the forums I've belonged to over the years, I've never seen that happen. I guess I just lead a sheltered life.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

BladeForums had to stop bumping in For Sale threads, including "For Sale by Maker".
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That should tell you something. I've been a member of BF since 12-28-2006 and to date, I have 183 posts.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods”