Spydeco G-2 Stainless?

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
wv trapper

Spydeco G-2 Stainless?

Post by wv trapper »

I traded up a G-2 Stainless Seki City Japan Spydeco yesterday and don't really know what I have. This is my first Spyderco and sorry to say I don't know much about them. If I could post a pic I'd do that but sorry to say my computer skills are somewhat limited. It is a lock back design with a polished blade, serrated and standard edge, it also has US Patents numbers on the pocket clip. I'm guessing it is an earlier knife with patent numbers on the pocket clip but don't know for sure, thanks for any help you could be.
"Mountaineers are Always Free"
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Spydeco G-2 Stainless?

Post by Colonel26 »

You are correct sir, it is an earlier knife. Anything I’ve ever owned or seen made by Spyderco in Seki City was outstanding. Matter of fact just about any think from any maker stamped Seki City is good stuff.

As to the G2, that threw me off so I asked Dr. Google. This is a quote from Sal Glesser on another knife forum.

“When we first began making knives in Japan (1981), we wanted the best steel that was available, which was Gingami 1. I wanted to put the name of the steel on the blade, but the maker said we couldn't because he had promised another company use of the name. Since we couldn't call in Gingami 1 or Gin 1, and we had to put something, so I put G2, a name I made up and we provided the steel composition with the knife when we sold it, because there was no American equivalent. G2 stood for "Good Sh*t also".

Years later, we had more horsepower than the previous company, so we could list GIN 1 on the blade.

sal.“

Some of the folks are saying it’s on par with the old Aus8, Some day it’s a bit better. I have no experience with the steel.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have Spydercos with blades marked both "GIN-1" and "G-2". While probably not as nice as some of the more wear-resistant, and tough tool steels Spyderco is using, it's definitely close to VG-10, but seems tougher in my use. But then again, both blades are serrated--with the UKPK part serrated, and the Harpy a full serrated hawkbill.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

wv trapper, good to hear from you. Sounds like you got a quality knife. ::nod:: ::tu::

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”