Robeson pocket knives

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Robeson pocket knives

Post by peanut740 »

Charlie,that is a dandy! ::tu::
Roger
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Thanks. I hope it's as nice as it looks. ::tu::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a little beauty, Charlie. Congratulations.
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

Joe, here is a Robeson Demonstrator marked knife that is larger than yours, but same shape, I think.

Charlie
Attachments
EurekaDemoB.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I'm not really buying Robeson knives anymore :roll: , but I have never been able to acquire a Robeson 732326 bartender's knife and I've only had two opportunities. One was at a show in Waterbury, CT, in 1997 and had Pabst Blue Ribbon advertising and logos etched and inked on its pearl handles. I couldn't afford that one. I think the beer advertising is what drove its value out of my range.

The other was on Ebay and I was simply outbid.

This one was on Ebay this past week, listed by a couple that sells various antiques and collectibles and had several nice knives listed.

I got this for $89.00.

Auction photos.

I haven't quite figured out the engraving on the pearl. It's a business, evidently.

Charlie
I hope your bartender knife is everything your expecting and more. It looks beautiful to me. Your Demonstrator is a great looking knife also. Thanks for sharing both of those with us.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Charlie. Very nice. ::tu::
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

The pearl handled bartender’s knife arrived today.

It’s a great little knife. It has a few spiders here and there, but it hasn’t been abused and is in wonderful condition.

Tang stamp suggests 1911 - 1921 age range. Both blades stamped the same, but it was difficult to get a shot of the master tang, as the opener blade obscures it a bit.

I took a few cell phone photos on the front porch and edited them a bit. They should expand with a mouse click or two. I have no idea how they are going to orient themselves when posted.

Charlie
Attachments
BB4CBA81-A7DD-45C2-9A70-7FFC9E0D26F0.jpeg
B74EF9DF-B467-4E94-8558-DA0CA079FEF6.jpeg
71ACC210-8BAC-4C3B-BF95-7A763CE35BC2.jpeg
3A3C1941-1D48-46F9-9490-1A384B49C143.jpeg
28A375C0-0F93-406D-949D-04959F2DA0AC.jpeg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great knife Charlie and the pics look good!!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great knife, Charlie. And good pictures.
Even the cap lifter is stamped. Is that called a "wire" corkscrew?
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

I assume that is what is referred to as a wire corkscrew. It is certainly different from a milled one, such as one would see on an earlier knife like this old German knife that Millard Robeson imported in the mid 1890's.

Charlie
Attachments
ThreeBlade7B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you Charlie.
What a beautiful knife that is. And what a beautiful corkscrew. That is really classy!
Joe
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Here is a new edition to my Robeson addiction. A nice little knife pattern #622319. Great snap. It makes me smile cause I like it and I got it at a crazy price. ::groove::
Attachments
84388530-5415-4F76-8602-010019103452.jpeg
FB3049DD-556A-471A-9B22-EEE110FACBA0.jpeg
97AAB1BF-A54D-4722-8042-2FBFCD4334E0.jpeg
0D7EFEB4-E534-4EA9-A5F6-C33B2AB01917.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Very nice piece! ::tu:: Hard to beat an old Robeson.

Wonder what's going to happen to the brand name now that Queen has gone under? Hope it doesn't end up on China-made cutlery. ::barf::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Very nice piece! ::tu:: Hard to beat an old Robeson.

Wonder what's going to happen to the brand name now that Queen has gone under? Hope it doesn't end up on China-made cutlery. ::barf::

Ken
Thanks Ken. Yeah I hope that it does not go to the land of the rising sun. Wouldn’t it be great if GEC could acquire the brand!
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Was this pen knife made by Robeson ? or a more recent Queen made knife ?
kj
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Landersknives wrote:Here is a new edition to my Robeson addiction. A nice little knife pattern #622319. Great snap. It makes me smile cause I like it and I got it at a crazy price. ::groove::
Very nice Ed!! Pretty and in very good shape!! Congratts buddy! :)
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

kootenay joe wrote:Was this pen knife made by Robeson ? or a more recent Queen made knife ?
kj
KJ I am not sure but I believe the stamp is dated 1965-77. I don’t know when Queen started building the Robeson knives. Maybe Charlie will come along and help us out.
woodwalker wrote:
Landersknives wrote:Here is a new edition to my Robeson addiction. A nice little knife pattern #622319. Great snap. It makes me smile cause I like it and I got it at a crazy price. ::groove::
Very nice Ed!! Pretty and in very good shape!! Congratts buddy! :)
Thanks woodwalker. I have been on a roll the last week or so. I have several more that I need to put up. I appreciate you my friend.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
RobesonsRme.com

As far as I know, a Robeson with the pattern number on the front of the tang is a post 1965 knife. That's what all the published collector books say, anyway.

Robeson went out of business in 1965. A company called Cutler Federal acquired the name and had knives made by Camillus with that stamp.

Cutler Federal eventually sold the name to Ontario Knife, owner of Queen.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Neat ! I did not know that some Robeson branded knives were made by Camillus. It is the numbers on front tang that had me asking about the maker. I appreciate having it confirmed that numbers on front = not made by dear old Robeson. To me who made a knife is more important than the name marked on the knife, but i have learned that not all collectors see it this way.
kj
brucegodlesky

Post by brucegodlesky »

Whoa! Lets get things straight here. Queen was not owned by Ontario. They were sister companies under Servitronics.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"They were sister companies under Servitronics".
I don't see that it matters whether owned or 'sister companies'. There were knives made by Queen marked "Robeson". The exact relationship between Queen & Ontario is of academic interest but it does not aid in deciding who made a Robeson marked knife.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

The knife in the OP does, however, have the same strawberry colored Delrin handles that Robeson was using at the end of their existence. I have a similar knife, a serpentine jack. The knives were also packed and shipped in the white/green/black boxes that Robeson was using in the 50's and 60's.

Tom Kalcevic, in Knives Can Talk, stated that Emerson Case agreed to stay on for one year to assist with the transition and finally retired in 1966.

Apparently, initially, the earliest knives from this period were made with original parts.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

"Whoa! Lets get things straight here. Queen was not owned by Ontario. They were sister companies under Servitronics (sic)."

Mea Culpa.

I misspoke.

And it's "Servotronics", not Servitronics".

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:The knife in the OP does, however, have the same strawberry colored Delrin handles that Robeson was using at the end of their existence. I have a similar knife, a serpentine jack. The knives were also packed and shipped in the white/green/black boxes that Robeson was using in the 50's and 60's.

Tom Kalcevic, in Knives Can Talk, stated that Emerson Case agreed to stay on for one year to assist with the transition and finally retired in 1966.

Apparently, initially, the earliest knives from this period were made with original parts.

Charlie Noyes
So Charlie would you say that the OP knife is probably an early knife in the transition period. This knife is made well. Which I like Camillus knives also. Thank you Charlie. Your knowledge is a great gift to us here at AAPK. Also thanks to you I have quite the accumulation of Robeson knives. Your love and passion for them has helped feed my fire. The more I get the more I like them.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
RobesonsRme.com

I suspect that is the case.

Maybe, we should get together. I have lots of knives to sell.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”