Robeson pocket knives

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
sunburst

Robeson pocket knives

Post by sunburst »

Well here is the start of my new affliction oops I mean addiction... :wink:
Ah heck you know what I mean....

Robeson Shuredge(script) 1922-40 Pocket Eze Cigar
Robeson Pocket Eze 1922-40 Bone Jack
Robeson 1922-40 Mastercraft bone
Robeson Shuredge Redbone Queen Cutlery Co 1994 Trapper

Thanks,

Sunburst
Attachments
Quartet of Robesons.jpg
Quartet of Robesons.jpg (83.45 KiB) Viewed 14001 times
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
remington collector

Post by remington collector »

Very nice, Robesons are a high quality knife. And are becoming more popular with collectors. I've got one that the "shield" has been impressed in the handle, I read that is was done in order to conserve metal during the war.
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Thanks remington collector, I have been looking for a nice well made knife made in the USA that has history along with quality and Robeson caught my eye.

They seem to be a little off the radar from most folks looking for knives and that makes them more affordable than most other collector pocket knives. I just ordered a book that I hope will answer a lot of questions I have about Robeson, here is the link to the site, lower bottom of the page:

http://showcase-collectibles.com/royalr ... index.html

If you get a chance please share a picture of your knife with the impressed handle...

Take care,

Sunburst
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

[quote]SWEET![/quote][/u] ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
wt3l

general knife discussion

Post by wt3l »

Hey There Sunburts,

Way to go!!!! I was beginning to think I was the only one that liked the new Robeson's. I have several. I just purchased a green split-back whittler from SMKW. I wanted to have a nice user at work. I found an older Robeson at a flea market last year. But I really like the fit & finish of the new retro knives they are putting out. I think they are being made by Queen steel Cutlery of Tittusville, Pa. My next quest is for blue bone pin-feathered jigging. I have a baby Doc in that handle and it is to die for. Not really die...but it is a very nice pattern for a handle. Robeson's Master Craft is their top-of-the-line stuff...I think, the Sure-Edge are next. Either one is a great piece. later wt3l :)
steve

Post by steve »

great looking knives! ive thought about getting a robeson stag canoe to add to the stag part of my canoe collection. they look like they are well made knives. i saw a couple on ebay that i thought about but didnt know if they were genuine stag or bone stag. maybe one day ill find out...lol.

anyway, great knives!
steve
longbeachbum

Post by longbeachbum »

I've acquired three of the new Robeson Railsplitter pattern knives. I have the antique green bone, crimson bone, and caramel bone. The only one I dont have is the buffalo horn and I'm not sure if I want that one. I might as well get it and have a complete set I guess.

I've found these knives are VERY similar if not identical to Schatt & Morgan in terms of beauty and quality. They're not serial numbered which is the only real difference I've found with the S&M Railsplitters, which are. They are a steal considering you can routinely find them for $60 and under, while the S&M Railsplitter will set you back at least $75. I'm guessing they will be comparably collectable, but even if not I think it's an excellent buy in the $50 - $60 price range.

SMKW sells them for $89 which is more than I'd be willing to pay.
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Come to Poppa my little sweet... :mrgreen:

Here is something I just purchased from ebay and now have to wait for the postman to deliver...

It's a 1910-1916 Terrier #236722 2 blade pen knife with pearl handles. Terrier was also manufactured by Robeson but with Terrier/Cutlery/Rochester N.Y. tang marks. The Terrier was made alongside Robeson's in the Perry plant from 1910 to 1916. Also the Terrier knife has a dog's head tang mark on the back of the master blade and the pattern number stamped on the back of the secondary blade.

These knives are pretty rare and anything in good shape is a major catch. We shall see how it really looks in a week or two once I get it here, I will share close up pics with all tang marks from this brand for future reference if anyone is interested.

Just because I am excited I am also including two other Robeson purchases I am waiting for in the mail, one is a Robeson vintage scout knife and the other a new Robeson Blue Bone Mastercraft with pin-feathered jigging.

Sorry for the poor photo quality, I will take my own photos once I receive them...And thanks for looking :)

Sunburst
Attachments
Robeson pics.png
Robeson pics.png (253.09 KiB) Viewed 10465 times
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

HEY,

I just bought an old robeson shur edge, pearl handles, lobster. One blade broken but a real unusual pattern. Anyone interested, let me know. Always looking to trade.
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
remington collector

I think I have a Robeson pearl lobster with a broken blade. How much do you want for yours? And which blade is broken?
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Hey pa,

I am not real big on lobster knives but I do have a fondness for old Robeson shuredge's :D would you mind posting a picture so we can see this knife??

Thanks,

Sunburst
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

OOPS!

Post by PA Knives »

Sorry, wrong company. This is an OLD Walden Knife Co. One blade is broken off at the tang and is not visible in this photo. Pearl is damaged on both sides. I just liked it and thought some one else may also. Let me know if you are.
Attachments
Walden .jpg
Walden .jpg (28.35 KiB) Viewed 13610 times
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

I do have a Robeson

Post by PA Knives »

I found the Robeson. It is Pearl and a whittler. I see a small crack near the front rivet and the main blade is broken off at the tip. this a suredge. I also see that one of the smaller blades isn't lining up with the spring correctly and is wearing the pivot on the blade. A trip to the doctor would correct this and provide a great knife for a collector. I will post a photo if anyone is interested. I am looking to trade for Pa stuff if at all possible. :wink:
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Here are a couple pics of the Terrier knife I bought on Ebay, the quality of the pics are not too great but the knife quality is excellent. I am happy to have picked this little pearl knife up and if anyone see's one or has one to trade please let me know....They are very hard to find ::paranoid::

Once again this is a 1910-1916 Terrier #236722 2 blade pen knife with pearl handles. Terrier was also manufactured by Robeson but with Terrier/Cutlery/Rochester N.Y. tang marks. The Terrier was made alongside Robeson's in the Perry plant from 1910 to 1916. Also the Terrier knife has a dog's head tang mark on the back of the master blade and the pattern number stamped on the back of the secondary blade.

Regards,

Sunburst
Attachments
Terrier Pearl 1910-1916.jpg
Terrier Pearl 1910-1916.jpg (53.4 KiB) Viewed 13524 times
Terrier Tang.jpg
Terrier Tang.jpg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 13524 times
Terrier 2nd Tang.jpg
Terrier 2nd Tang.jpg (41.3 KiB) Viewed 13524 times
wt3l

Genreal Knife Discussion

Post by wt3l »

Paging 9-Ball

Hello 9Ball.....e-mail me at gkj1953@frontiernet.net leaving here Wednesday morning the 12th. With all the storms around here last 2 weeks I've been working lots of O.T. However the trip is STILL on ::nod:: ::tu:: later....WT3L
9ball

Post by 9ball »

YEEHAW :D
"However the trip is STILL on"
WT3L: I sent a message last week, check your P.M., I could not find your email address.
I will sent another to this email later this afternoon. ::tu::
Later,
9ball
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
CCBill

Post by CCBill »

Hey, Sunburst...
How about this?
Attachments
red pig5.JPG
red pig5.JPG (22.79 KiB) Viewed 8917 times
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

:D I love it......I have seen a copy of that exact picture in my book "Knives that Talk" The history of Robeson Cutlery. Where did you pick that up from??? If I remember correctly I believe the book even gives a date on when that fat red jumping pig :shock: was printed...

That's not something you see everyday is it..If you ever want to part with it let me know.... ::nod::

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share that....

Sunburst
CCBill

Post by CCBill »

How about this one?
Attachments
red pig.jpg
red pig.jpg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 8893 times
CCBill

Post by CCBill »

Or this one?
Attachments
red pig#5.jpg
red pig#5.jpg (22.47 KiB) Viewed 8885 times
and last, but not least...
and last, but not least...
No.4.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 8885 times
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Hello CCBill :) ,

I have read about Red Pig stuff also, but never seen any. Was/Is not it top of the line Robeson Kitchen Cutlery?
Are these posters?
Thanks for sharing these images from me also. ::tu::

Later,
9ball
CCBill

Post by CCBill »

Yes, it was very good quality kitchen cutlery. All the pictures are postcards.
...CCBill...
remington collector

sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Around 1920, Robeson started to produce a line of household butcher knives called the RED PIG brand. An oval, brass shield, embossed with a "red pig", was set and tacked into the wooden handle of the knife. Comical postcards, sent from hardware stores, were used to advertise the knives. A stag handled meat carving knife, with an ornate, cast, sterling collar, was produced about the same time. THE ROBESON CUTLERY CO./"ShurEdge"/ROCHESTER, N.Y. U.S.A was etched on the blade. Robeson also came out with ROYAL GOBBLER carving sets, consisting of a cutting blade, meat fork, and sharpening stee. A trademark (#138,098), showing a turkey, was applied for and granted 12/14/20. The turkey was etched on the cutting blade.

Knives Can Talk! The story of the Robeson Cutlery Co. page 41
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Hello Folks :) ,

So these were made after Red Pig? :?

They have a deep etch/stamps and are hollow ground. The blades also look Stainless.
The collars appear Sterling, but I have never tested them.
That is a felt roll with slots for each with a tie-up. It also has the Robeson Shur Edge Logo.

Any ideals on the pattern name/ID?

Thanks for your time :) ,

9ball
Attachments
Robeson Stag Steak Knives Set.jpg
Robeson Stag Steak Knives Set.jpg (16.64 KiB) Viewed 8826 times
Robeson Stag Steak Knives Set Stamp.jpg
Robeson Stag Steak Knives Set Stamp.jpg (7.63 KiB) Viewed 8826 times

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”