Robeson pocket knives

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Robeson pocket knives

Post by edge213 »

FRJ wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:33 am I took more pictures after I cleaned them and sharpened them.
The equal end has seen better days but it is very solid. No wobble what so ever and still snappy. Certainly worth carrying and quite serviceable.
The swell end is also free of any wobble and very solid. The main blade edge has been abused a bit but that will sharpen out in time.
I'm very glad to have these. Two Robesons in one day. Life is good!

Thanks for looking.

::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Ike and David.

I agree with you, Ike.
I love those old Robesons.
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

They will serve you well.

Thanks for rescuing them.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Should the discrepancy in handle cover jigging, coarser on one side, finer on the other, seen below, raise a question about post-factory replacement? Or, is it likely that along with the black composition material being a substitute for the unavailable natural bone during the make-do WWII era, there was greater latitude in other respects in getting product out for the public?

Nothing else that I can see appears “off” about the knife.

The ROBESON SUREDGE equal end 632319 whittler I gather is not rare. At only $10 from an antique shop, I am happy to have acquired it, but am still curious about what we are seeing.
robeson.ee.whittler.pile.edit.jpg
Attachments
robeson.ee.whittler.mark.edit.1.jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I have no idea, but both of the handle pieces are pressure molded black composition that were used by Robeson.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Thanks, Charlie. Thus, I conclude that the jigging discrepancy is likely factory.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”