Help with Tang Stamp ID

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Newt68

Help with Tang Stamp ID

Post by Newt68 »

Reading the A Historical Perspective On Vintage Robeson Tang Stamps page I am thinking this is 1940-1964 without the USA. Thoughts?

I just picked this up for $9. It cleaned up really nice.
View recent photos (1).png
image0 (7).jpeg
image1 (3).jpeg
image2 (2).jpeg
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help with Tang Stamp ID

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Looks like a Robeson 523858 Sleeveboard Pen.
Genuine stag handles.

I get the impression the USA is there, but somewhat obliterated.

I have never seen a Robeson knife from that time period devoid of the USA marking and Tom Kalcevic did not include such in his published books.

The dates I posted in the thread you quoted were Tom’s and also those of Dewey Ferguson.

I think a more accurate period would be 1948 to 1964.

Emerson Case went to Robeson as Manager in 1940 and became President in 1948 and I think those changes in tang stamps probably occurred after that.

None of the Robeson made WWII pocketknives had that block ShurEdge mark and most had a script ShurEdge mark.

There are some knives with that mark that appear to be from WWII time frame, as they have black handles, instead of bone. Bone wasn’t available during WWII, but it wasn’t available for some time after, either.

This pattern was one of only a very few genuine stag patterns that were continued after the war.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Newt68

Re: Help with Tang Stamp ID

Post by Newt68 »

Thanks so much for the information...very helpful!

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”