Worth repairing or practice on?

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Leo H

Worth repairing or practice on?

Post by Leo H »

I was a little bummed to see this knife I acquired have the tip broken on it, although, for all I know my grandfather did this, or kept it like this, as a knife/ screwdriver. ::shrug::
It’s well used, that’s for sure.
Anything special about it, other than sentimental value?
Is the extra bevel in the large blade something done after purchase? It seems that way.
Attachments
612AFE54-F097-4457-9391-32ACCFB7007E.jpeg
74324AC3-28DD-40B9-A4DD-3DA7D1F68BAC.jpeg
0DAD3FC1-D1F8-4597-9296-B3092925D88F.jpeg
DDD060C8-C7F9-48E6-A874-6C9AF7DA9079.jpeg
FRJ

Re: Worth repairing or practice on?

Post by FRJ »

Leo H wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:18 pm Anything special about it, other than sentimental value?
Well, it is a Robeson. A great name in folding pocket knives.
It's a nice little Senator pattern that would take some patience to carry.
Lots of folks would like to carry that knife.
Do you have others to practice knife repair on?
Joe
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Since your Grandfather apparently owned it, I would say it has extra special value. If it was mine, I would reprofile that broken tip, give it a thorough cleaning, oil the pivot joints, sharpen the blades, and carry it with pride. I think the "extra bevel" you mentioned is the swedge on the primary blade and is supposed to be there. Robeson was, IMHO, among the best American brands ever made.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

FRJ wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:39 pm
Leo H wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:18 pm Anything special about it, other than sentimental value?
The blue sparkle one in the photo, and possibly an Imperial with a MOP look to the bolsters. I should buy some cheap lot of knives at my price point an experiment on those.
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

Leo H wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:07 am
The blue sparkle one in the photo, and possibly an Imperial with a MOP look to the bolsters. I should buy some cheap lot of knives at my price point an experiment on those.
So does the Senator pattern refer to the 2 blade style, opposite, or does the size factor in to that label. That’s not a knife style I’ve seen mentioned before.
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

herbva wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:26 pm Since your Grandfather apparently owned it, I would say it has extra special value. If it was mine, I would reprofile that broken tip, give it a thorough cleaning, oil the pivot joints, sharpen the blades, and carry it with pride. I think the "extra bevel" you mentioned is the swedge on the primary blade and is supposed to be there. Robeson was, IMHO, among the best American brands ever made.
Thank you, that sounds fine to me. It is a smaller size than I would like to carry, normally. I do like the jigged wood bolsters though.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Yes, the Senator has a blade that swings from each bolster and is a smaller knife in a equal end pattern.
Senators are small knives. I don't know where the size limit qualifies it as something different but they are smaller knives. I hope someone will correct me if that is incorrect.
The bolster is the nickel silver piece at each end and the material between the bolsters are the covers.
Joe
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Depending on how you are going to carry the knife and what purposes it would
be used for consider leaving the broken blade as is. Some people may
consider having a small screwdriver blade handy. Plus that is how he
left it. Something to consider…..

Bob
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Leo H wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:07 am

I mentioned this in another one of your post. I believe you are mistakenly calling handle covers bolsters.
The handle covers on the blue knife are celluloid. I would call it "blue sparkle celluloid" not " mop celluloid".
Also, from the little I can see in the picture, I would say it is a Colonial not Imperial.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Leo since it's a keepsake from your grandfather why not just leave it as is and keep it as something to remember him by. I have an old pocketknife from my grandfather and it's nice to every once in a while pull it out and think about him. I think those bevels on the broken blade were probably ground by him after it broke to make it into more of a screwdriver shape. I wouldn't do any hard twisting or prying with it though. Knife blades weren't tempered for that kind of torque and it will likely snap again.

Eric
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Leo, if you haven’t found it yet, in the header at the top of this page click on “Research”, then scroll down to find links to a glossary of terms, and below that an exploded view illustration of the typical parts in a pocket knife. Along with a lot of other useful and educational information which will help in communicating or asking questions about knives. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

FRJ wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:35 am Yes, the Senator has a blade that swings from each bolster and is a smaller knife in a equal end pattern.
Senators are small knives. I don't know where the size limit qualifies it as something different but they are smaller knives. I hope someone will correct me if that is incorrect.
The bolster is the nickel silver piece at each end and the material between the bolsters are the covers.
Thank you. I’m trying to learn the terms. ::tu::
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:31 pm Leo, if you haven’t found it yet, in the header at the top of this page click on “Research”, then scroll down to find links to a glossary of terms, and below that an exploded view illustration of the typical parts in a pocket knife. Along with a lot of other useful and educational information which will help in communicating or asking questions about knives. ::tu::

Ken
Thank you!
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

ea42 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:15 pm Leo since it's a keepsake from your grandfather why not just leave it as is and keep it as something to remember him by. I have an old pocketknife from my grandfather and it's nice to every once in a while pull it out and think about him. I think those bevels on the broken blade were probably ground by him after it broke to make it into more of a screwdriver shape. I wouldn't do any hard twisting or prying with it though. Knife blades weren't tempered for that kind of torque and it will likely snap again.

Eric
I agree. Just another excuse to pick up a different knife. ::nod::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Leo H wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 pm Thank you. I’m trying to learn the terms. ::tu::
You're doing very well here, Leo, pursuing these threads with interest and asking very good questions.
::tu:: ::nod::
Joe
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

FRJ wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:42 pm
Leo H wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 pm Thank you. I’m trying to learn the terms. ::tu::
You're doing very well here, Leo, pursuing these threads with interest and asking very good questions.
::tu:: ::nod::
Thank you. Everyone here's been very positive and helpful and patient. It's appreciated.

I am curious, if you can answer, with the blue speckled knife in the above picture, is that a handle pattern that was in style during a certain time period? Or when did that handle start appearing? The loop in the end suggests it was late enough to have been a "keychain" accessory, but my guess is this was something from the 60s or 70s.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That type of knife was sold at many retail counters for years.
I don't know who made that but most of that kind were made in the USA. Some folks call them cheap and perhaps some were but they were inexpensively made to sell at a lower price so the knife manufacturers could keep their doors open.
Can you get a picture of the tang and tell us how long it is?
I haven't seen too much of that sparkle blue cover but they must have made many of them.
Imperial and Colonial were two big makers of inexpensive knives. Imperial made some fine solid knives in their early years. ::nod::
Joe
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

I will do that when I get home. It should be the same size as the Robeson, just at 3”.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”